RECRUITING: What I'm hearing ... 4-11-20 PM update

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
(the highest ranked class in school history)

? - it’s like 23rd and we’ve been well above that before. I thought the highest ranked was Floyd’s mega-class that includd several that didn’t show up. I can also remember a very highly rated LE class (again it included recruits that didn’t make it to campus).

Im actually surprised this is ranked above the class from two years ago, but I guess Hali was way under ranked that year, and Foster might even be higher rated than THT by some services.

aobie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2013
Seattle, WA
? - it’s like 23rd and we’ve been well above that before. I thought the highest ranked was Floyd’s mega-class that includd several that didn’t show up. I can also remember a very highly rated LE class (again it included recruits that didn’t make it to campus).

Im actually surprised this is ranked above the class from two years ago, but I guess Hali was way under ranked that year, and Foster might even be higher rated than THT by some services.

2018 our class was ranked 28th. Zion Griffin was rated more highly than TH (was a 4-star 0.9382 according to 247).

Also, I'm not sure how far back 247 goes (or any recruiting service for that matter). So that probably plays into it some.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
(the highest ranked class in school history)
If we get two starters out of it next year, like we did in 2018-19, we’ll be in good shape!

Dubar and Blackwell could start, and hold their own. Foster is a big, and they tend to need time, plus Young and Conditt will make it tough for him to start. Hopefully Walker can give us positive minutes. Johnson is not a freshman, but another starter level newcomer.

We’re really not that far off roster wise! Just need Turner imo. Bolton and Young can be All Big 12 types, or at least competent starters. So would Turner. Add in two of Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell, Conditt, Tre stepping up, and we’re back!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
can't let that slide: go ahead, name your 10.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If we get two starters out of it next year, like we did in 2018-19, we’ll be in good shape!

Dubar and Blackwell could start, and hold their own. Foster is a big, and they tend to need time, plus Young and Conditt will make it tough for him to start. Hopefully Walker can give us positive minutes. Johnson is not a freshman, but another starter level newcomer.

We’re really not that far off roster wise! Just need Turner imo. Bolton and Young can be All Big 12 types, or at least competent starters. So would Turner. Add in two of Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell, Conditt, Tre stepping up, and we’re back!

Yeah, increasingly clear that if a turnaround is happening, it has to be through the incoming freshman or existing roster, not through spring recruiting.

That is not impossible, but picking up even one known quantity this spring would have helped our chances greatly. I guess that will not be happening.

:(

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Burton to Texas tech which makes me think turner will sign with Marquette. Zero inside info, just being logical.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This year's class is not the best. I would take a few classes over this one and that is not considering how the guys turned out. The class just a couple years ago was better.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
2018 our class was ranked 28th. Zion Griffin was rated more highly than TH (was a 4-star 0.9382 according to 247).

Also, I'm not sure how far back 247 goes (or any recruiting service for that matter). So that probably plays into it some.

Gotcha. So its really the highest ranked class in very recent history by one specific recruiting service?

Regardless, I like this freshmen class if they all make it, though not quite as much as two years ago. Big step up from the previous year which was one of our worst classes. Now we need to start having some spring period success.

greenec31

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2017
Roland, Iowa

I think it is major addition by subtraction with Nixon out, not as many turnovers/terrible shots and his defense was average at best. Then replace Jacobson with Foster who is a better shooter and shot blocker.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This year's class is not the best. I would take a few classes over this one and that is not considering how the guys turned out. The class just a couple years ago was better.
If Conditt actually develops like he should, that class had three very good prospects. Two immediate starters, and Conditt should have been a consistent 7th man type.

That said, i think this one will have a bigger total impact. No TH types, but I’m hoping there are no Zion’s (yes, he was highly ranked by some services), and imo THT’s freshman year isn’t terribly hard to replicate.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... All I know is that every single school violates the rules to some extent.

You don't "know" this.
No doubt there are a number of programs that are not lilly white, but saying you know everybody cheats is repeating the KU narrative.

aobie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2013
Seattle, WA
Gotcha. So its really the highest ranked class in very recent history by one specific recruiting service?

Regardless, I like this freshmen class if they all make it, though not quite as much as two years ago. Big step up from the previous year which was one of our worst classes. Now we need to start having some spring period success.

Looks like 247 goes back to 2003, and why I like 247 at least is it's a composite of other recruiting services. Not just their own take on the recruits. But as with all things recruiting, still need to take it with a grain of salt.

As an example, some of the classes can get a bump through sheer numbers. Even if the average recruit ranking is lower.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I think it is major addition by subtraction with Nixon out, not as many turnovers/terrible shots and his defense was average at best. Then replace Jacobson with Foster who is a better shooter and shot blocker.
Agree on Nixon, but it’s up to the staff to make sure those bad shots leave with Nixon.

Foster wasn’t a better shooter in high school as Jacobson was at ISU. Imo Foster as a freshman won’t be a superior player to Jacobson as a senior, if Foster is also playing the 4.

But he won’t need to, with JJ and the other wings!

Reactions: greenec31

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You don't "know" this.
No doubt there are a number of programs that are not lilly white, but saying you know everybody cheats is repeating the KU narrative.
NCAA compliance rules are so ridiculous, it's virtually impossible for every school to stay completely clean. I'm not saying schools like Iowa State are paying players or anything along those lines. I'm saying that they're doing the things that are small enough that even if they would be caught, it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If Conditt actually develops like he should, that class had three very good prospects. Two immediate starters, and Conditt should have been a consistent 7th man type.

That said, i think this one will have a bigger total impact. No TH types, but I’m hoping there are no Zion’s (yes, he was highly ranked by some services), and imo THT’s freshman year isn’t terribly hard to replicate.

It is very rare for a class of 4 freshman to all be hits especially when they are aren't top prospects. Go look at how many Freshman have put up THT numbers at ISU. It is harder than you think and even harder to do on a good team.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I can assure you 100% that the Louisville, KU, Marquette, Mizzou, of the world are handing out $$.. a lot of schools handlers do..

If you aren’t looking to provide some sort of incentive to transfers esp in our state then you shouldn’t be running the program
I worry more about what that says for the player. Certainly, not the kind of team mate I'd like to be playing with.

Help Support Us

Become a patron