RECRUITING: What I'm hearing ... 4-11-20 PM update

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Except for the 4 incoming freshman.

I think it's worth acknowledging that when these guys signed in early November our program was in a much different place than it is now. Whether this season would have impacted their decision or not, I don't know. But I think it's clear it's a little harder to sell this program now as compared to last November.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
(the highest ranked class in school history)

Good retort, but nothing influences the hater's hate.

Also, even though this is true, it's weird to think of this upcoming class as the best.

While the chances are likely higher (than compared to other classes) that each of our incoming freshman will end up being a solid to impact Big 12 player at some point in their careers, you can't point to that one stud who you know will flat out make a huge impact (Fizer, Niang, Morris, Wiggy, THT).

It's possible that any of the four could be that guy next year, but I'd just say a major part of the uneasiness for the upcoming season is the productivity for each freshman next year is an unknown. I think that spurs the desperation for 1-2 stud transfers in the fanbase.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think it's worth acknowledging that when these guys signed in early November our program was in a much different place than it is now. Whether this season would have impacted their decision or not, I don't know. But I think it's clear it's a little harder to sell this program now as compared to last November.
That's true. I was simply responding to the notion that no one wants to play for Prohm.

Cyclone560

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2017

Also, even though this is true, it's weird to think of this upcoming class as the best.

While the chances are likely higher (than compared to other classes) that each of our incoming freshman will end up being a solid to impact Big 12 player at some point in their careers, you can't point to that one stud who you know will flat out make a huge impact (Fizer, Niang, Morris, Wiggy, THT).

It's possible that any of the four could be that guy next year, but I'd just say a major part of the uneasiness for the upcoming season is the productivity for each freshman next year is an unknown. I think that spurs the desperation for 1-2 stud transfers in the fanbase.

I agree that there isn't one who we KNOW will be an impact guy. But also want to point out that Niang and Morris were not that either. Both were consistently ranked in the 80s as prospects, and for Niang that included a late rise.

Foster has been in the 60s mostly and Blackwell there's a bigger range on but hes been in the 90s in some services and is from a power high school program. Doesn't mean they will hit, but I also think Fizer, Wiggy, and THT are really the only guys that really fit that and that said THT was still inconsistent. Point being its way too difficult to really predict impact of these guys, but if you get multiple guys that have a shot to make an impact (like this class has, again best rated class in school history) You put yourself in a good spot even if you aren't sure which guy will pop, theres a solid chance at least one will.

Reactions: Cloneon and Snydes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I can assure you 100% that the Louisville, KU, Marquette, Mizzou, of the world are handing out $$.. a lot of schools handlers do..

If you aren’t looking to provide some sort of incentive to transfers esp in our state then you shouldn’t be running the program
I mean, it's pretty well known that Louisville and KU have been doing shady things for years.. I have no clue about Missouri and Marquette. If they're paying their players, they're paying the wrong ones it seems like. All I know is that every single school violates the rules to some extent.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

I'm just hoping there aren't more than 1 Terrence Lewis, Zion Griffin, Jacolby Long etc

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I hope that we land a grad transfer who is talented, but also an "alpha dog". That part is what made DeAndre Kane so special. He came in, held teammates accountable, and commanded respect. This team needs a guy like that, IMO.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hope that we land a grad transfer who is talented, but also an "alpha dog". That part is what made DeAndre Kane so special. He came in, held teammates accountable, and commanded respect. This team needs a guy like that, IMO.

Honest question-- has there been a graduate transfer since Kane that has had the success he had? He was 1st team All Big 12 and 3rd team AA. I can't seem to remember any other grad transfers being that successful.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Hornacek for Coach! Need a coach that can teach fundamentals, and could recruit! Just have Abby hanging around Hilton!

Reactions: Dandy and brycy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree that there isn't one who we KNOW will be an impact guy. But also want to point out that Niang and Morris were not that either. Both were consistently ranked in the 80s as prospects, and for Niang that included a late rise.

Foster has been in the 60s mostly and Blackwell there's a bigger range on but hes been in the 90s in some services and is from a power high school program. Doesn't mean they will hit, but I also think Fizer, Wiggy, and THT are really the only guys that really fit that and that said THT was still inconsistent. Point being its way too difficult to really predict impact of these guys, but if you get multiple guys that have a shot to make an impact (like this class has, again best rated class in school history) You put yourself in a good spot even if you aren't sure which guy will pop, theres a solid chance at least one will.

I'd expect at least one of them to be really good and one of them to be transferring in a few years. If two of them can be really good that'd be excellent.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

This guy was the alpha dog of that team --

hi-res-55bbe1d2d5d90d900b6735693f1d0739_crop_north.jpg

Do not get me wrong -- I loved Kane -- but that was Melvin's team.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This guy was the alpha dog of that team --

hi-res-55bbe1d2d5d90d900b6735693f1d0739_crop_north.jpg

Do not get me wrong -- I loved Kane -- but that was Melvin's team.

Melvin was undoubtedly the leader. However, Kane had that undeniable "dude I would not want to **** with" vibe.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Melvin was undoubtedly the leader. However, Kane had that undeniable "dude I would not want to **** with" vibe.

Melvin did not seem the type you **** with, either.

Remember the "head, meet ball" story when somebody did.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
That would be great but probably won’t happen.
I doubt CSP could deal with someone like that. Or maybe a player like that couldn’t put up with CSP

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
LSU has been cheating it's butt off for a while and they can't nail them. ISU would be fine.
The difference is : everyone cheats in the SEC - no one is gonna "rat" on them.
In regards to Big 12 cheating, KU is the WORST OFFENDER. They are a BlueBlood and therefore never get anything worse than a "slap on the wrist." Sure, a blue-chip player may have to sit out once-in-a-while, but they have 6 other Adidas-funded players on their bench that still allow the Jayhawks to win the Big 12 every year. If we started to get the same level of talent to ISU, I'm pretty sure there would be lots of red flags & a huge investigation. If any cheating was found out in our program, we would be in a basketball graveyard, IMO.