RECRUITING: What I'm hearing ... 4-11-20 PM update

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for the reply CW, I appreciate it. I agree with you and would love CSP to be here long term, but results are results and Iowa State fans will not put up with mediocre basketball. I think that is why us fans have taken to the message boards and are hanging on every transfer that they are interested and why we get so disappointed when they miss. We know that next year could be another below average year if we don’t land difference makers.

Thanks for your honest opinion, I think that is what I admire most about your coverage of ISU athletics.
I think most would put up with a down year of mediocre. 12-20 is past that.

I like that we made the tournament with three good rosters. Prohm could use some help to get more out of those, but when we’ve had the talent, we’ve made the tournament. That buys him a chance to get out of this hole, in my book.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
Well peeps its almost been 72 hours. let the fun begin! 11am is when turner decides. I am hearing Marquette also.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Even if they get Turner I don’t think it changes a ton for next year. They become slightly better so maybe NIT but still don’t think they are a tournament team. But any improvement would be nice. I’m looking more for what kind of sit outs they can get bc I think next season will be weird anyway because they are already talking about maybe not playing non con games. So with another year impacted by Covid, Steve wouldn’t be going anywhere.

Turner is a complete stud.. He’s a Shayok level difference.. Add Turner and a Tier 2 PG and we have a starting 5 that is pretty competitive imo

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
1, we don't know who will fill the empty scholarships yet
2, we don't know the true talent level of the incoming freshmen. Haliburton vs Lewis shows you just don't know till they are in practice and games.
3, history shows we just need 3 key players. We don't know where those could come from.

True. They might add some other pieces for next year but I am just saying as of right now even with Turner they aren't a tournament team. Further, the grad transfer market is a lot thinner than sit out guys.
I am not saying they can't surprise and make the tournament but it is unlikely. They would need something like what happened with Iowa which is rare.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
True. They might add some other pieces for next year but I am just saying as of right now even with Turner they aren't a tournament team. Further, the grad transfer market is a lot thinner than sit out guys.
I am not saying they can't surprise and make the tournament but it is unlikely. They would need something like what happened with Iowa which is rare.

A couple years ago Shayok and Haliburton surprised most with what they brought. Guessing Horton Tucker was a bit more expected. After the prior year, I didn't expect what we got. I think at least one freshmen or transfer could surprise us.

Reactions: isutrevman

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Turner is a complete stud.. He’s a Shayok level difference.. Add Turner and a Tier 2 PG and we have a starting 5 that is pretty competitive imo

Yeah he is good but they are pretty bad right now. Competitive is different than being a tournament team. Now, if some of the sit out guys get immediately eligible that would certainly change things.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
All I know is that it would be stupid if Missouri got both Christopher and Turner. Why they hell would you want to go to Missouri in the shape their program has been in for awhile?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I've yet to see a team make a huge jump on the backs of grad transfers alone. Even the top guys are role players, for the most part. Turner would be a difference maker, but I agree, he doesn't make us a tournament team. He would still be a net negative to the loss of Haliburton. We would need 2-3 grad transfers his caliber or better to get to the level most fans are hoping for. That's asking Prohm to essentially sweep the top 3 grad transfers in the entire country. That's not realistic at all.

To make the tournament, we have to pray several guys already on the roster make huge gains and at least 1-2 freshman are a difference maker.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Keep in mind we are having to recruit grad transfers without face to face meetings or campus visits. Basically phone call and video chat recruiting. Trying to get a player to commit sight unseen has to be tough. That would explain some transfers choosing to remain at their current school and others picking a place very close to home.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
So it appears in the last twelve hours we have missed on Turner and Carton. Steve, that sound in the train leaving the station.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Now would be a good time for wealthy boosters to start spreading some cash to these transfers...it's done everywhere else ISU might as well get on board if they are not already.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Now would be a good time for wealthy boosters to start spreading some cash to these transfers...it's done everywhere else ISU might as well get on board if they are not already.

I would suggest those same boosters start pooling their money for a different cause...

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Or we could crowdsource the buyout with their help.

Reactions: JBone84