Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
So...Fauci does know what's going on in Iowa?
tenor.gif
Now he does, because Reynolds just filled him in.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What are everyone's thoughts on Kim either refusing to answer or not fully understanding the questions regarding potential asymptomatic people out and about?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Now he does, because Reynolds just filled him in.
Fauci would put Reynolds into a pretzel when it comes this issue. What's Fauci suppose to say to her? He has no power in that conversation whatsoever and it wouldn't matter what he suggested for her to do, she wouldn't listen because she has her own data and metrics to follow. I can assure you that he was not 100% agreeing with her as he doesn't even 100% agree with Trump either.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
What are everyone's thoughts on Kim either refusing to answer or not fully understanding the questions regarding potential asymptomatic people out and about?

There's really no good answer other than to maintain physical distance from others and stay the **** home if you don't need to be out.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Fauci would put Reynolds into a pretzel when it comes this issue. What's Fauci suppose to say to her? He has no power in that conversation whatsoever and it wouldn't matter what he suggested for her to do, she wouldn't listen because she has her own data and metrics to follow. I can assure you that he was not 100% agreeing with her as he doesn't even 100% agree with Trump either.
I was joking.....

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

That it's perfectly in line with her management of the crisis. She reacts to what she sees and appears to be incapable of anticipating what she can't. It's why her vaunted metrics are all backward-looking. It's why she announced increasingly strict measures immediately after warning that this would be our worst week yet, as if those tougher measures would in any way mitigate what is going to happen in the next few days.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
That it's perfectly in line with her management of the crisis. She reacts to what she sees and appears to be incapable of anticipating what she can't. It's why her vaunted metrics are all backward-looking. It's why she announced increasingly strict measures immediately after warning that this would be our worst week yet, as if those tougher measures would in any way mitigate what is going to happen in the next few days.
It's kind of concerning that she doesn't understand policies impact about 14 days from now, not the present.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There's really no good answer other than to maintain physical distance from others and stay the **** home if you don't need to be out.
It's kind of concerning that she doesn't understand policies impact about 14 days from now, not the present.
I mean her model literally waits for things to get really bad before decisions are made, rather than implementing those mitigations prior in order to make sure it doesn't indeed get bad.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's pretty clear she does, otherwise she wouldn't have shut down bars/restaurants and large gathertins 3 weeks ago.
And then waited a week to dial up the mitigations, and then another week to dial up further mitigations, and then another week before dialing up further mitigations..

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
And then waited a week to dial up the mitigations, and then another week to dial up further mitigations, and then another week before dialing up further mitigations..
Should she have shut down the entire state 2 months ago? There is always more that can be shut down. I thought the goal was to shut down as much as needed to keep the healthcare system from being overrun. The most recent predictions show the healthcare system in Iowa NOT being overwhelmed. Isn't that the entire point of all this? It appears, as of now, that we are on track. Hopefully that remains the case.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Should she have shut down the entire state 2 months ago? There is always more that can be shut down. I thought the goal was to shut down as much as needed to keep the healthcare system from being overrun. The most recent predictions show the healthcare system in Iowa NOT being overwhelmed. Isn't that the entire point of all this? It appears, as of now, that we are on track. Hopefully that remains the case.
Yeah no one said she should've made these decisions 2 months ago, so going to that extreme is useless. Most states placed these mitigations last week or the week before. And you're right, there is always more that can be shut down and more that she can do, which is why I thought it was interesting that for the past two weeks, she was literally telling the public they were doing everything possible.. You can't have it both ways here. You don't get to say one week you're doing everything, and then the next week implement more restrictions after bad things happen.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I mean her model literally waits for things to get really bad before decisions are made, rather than implementing those mitigations prior in order to make sure it doesn't indeed get bad.

I've half-joked to others that it was as if her staff had just dusted off the disaster management plan for major flooding, anticipating the crisis they thought they'd be dealing with this spring. Then they got a pandemic instead, so they just shrugged and used the same plan. Except by the time the flood waters rise in this crisis, it's already too late.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That non political thing worked for a little while in this thread.

The governor's response (or lack thereof) is an inherent part of the discussion of the coronavirus response in iowa. Thinking you can have a thread on COVID19 in iowa that ignores that response or doesnt criticize it when it is lacking, is simply wanting a safe space for your own political biases, meaning that it is you that actually seeks to alter this thread politically.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Well, isn’t it really about saving lives? In some areas at best that’s about getting the curve lowered. If Iowa can do better, do it!

Is there a cost too prohibitive to do that? I personally think so, but that cost isn’t based in political capital.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Good luck getting this through to some people.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
That non political thing worked for a little while in this thread.
It's still nearly impossible to discuss this without some veil of politics, no matter how hard you try. Goes back to my "nothing left to discuss" topic, because the entirety of the outbreak is being handled....governmentally. A political entity.

One cannot question, speculate, examine, or really discuss any actions or activities with COVID in-depth without politics inherently tied to it. That makes for a damn boring thread. We'd be limited to "Well, XX cases popped up today and YY businesses and parks were closed. Check back again tomorrow everyone!"

Status
Not open for further replies.