Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Still no shelter in place ordered, just dumb. Good job Reynolds. My friends in Michigan said yesterday when they got to 21 positive cases they shut down and it has since been extended for another two weeks.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why? You can do it without the Governor telling you to.

Having more formalized stricter measures would put more pressure on some of the employers that are bucking this and refusing to adapt with a WFH strategy. A good number of people would isolate but can't because its show up or get fired.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Similar here. I know the ISBA is pushing for legal professionals to be considered essential.

Now if we can get the wrinkles to remote notarization and witnessing in place, we can really be of help, though not all clients have the tech savvy for that even to work. I have a couple, both in their 90's, who want changes to their POA's and estate plan, but understandably don't want to come to the office. Understandably, neither I, nor they, are really interested in myself (and potentially others to witness their wills) coming to their home. You understand the logistical difficulties here...

I'm in the same boat. You'd think in a time like this they'd put forward something more intuitive on the remote notarization, but that isn't the case.

I don't want to put myself or anyone else at risk, but I also do think it's important that these things get taken care of given the prognosis of an elderly person who catches this virus.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Similar here. I know the ISBA is pushing for legal professionals to be considered essential.

Now if we can get the wrinkles to remote notarization and witnessing in place, we can really be of help, though not all clients have the tech savvy for that even to work. I have a couple, both in their 90's, who want changes to their POA's and estate plan, but understandably don't want to come to the office. Understandably, neither I, nor they, are really interested in myself (and potentially others to witness their wills) coming to their home. You understand the logistical difficulties here...

All attorneys working in criminal law or juvenile law (including cases where children have been removed from their parents) have to be looked at as essential.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Well they're not saying you have to shut down completely. If you can operate out of your home you can continue to provide the service you do.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way, especially with estate planning documents. As was referenced above, they are working on measures to allow us to remotely witness and notarize documents. However, from what I've seen, others in the profession are not yet comfortable enough with the guidance we've received on how it will work to go that route. Plus we are largely dealing with elderly individuals who may not have the capabilities of connecting with us through video conference.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Today’s results are from 821 tests the day before was from 400 plus tests not sure on exact amount which explains the jump in numbers . Still sitting at about 6% of those tested being positive

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way, especially with estate planning documents. As was referenced above, they are working on measures to allow us to remotely witness and notarize documents. However, from what I've seen, others in the profession are not yet comfortable enough with the guidance we've received on how it will work to go that route. Plus we are largely dealing with elderly individuals who may not have the capabilities of connecting with us through video conference.
Exactly. The procedures under the Governor's Proclamation and in the statute that takes effect in July are not practicable right now. And many elderly clients wont find it easy to deal the technological requirements. It is more than just hooking them up on Zoom.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Today’s results are from 821 tests the day before was from 400 plus tests not sure on exact amount which explains the jump in numbers . Still sitting at about 6% of those tested being positive

What I was going to mention, still about the same percentage of positives so the amount of testing is going up. Not sure which is following which.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
tenor.gif

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Why? You can do it without the Governor telling you to.

I haven't seen the press conferences the past couple of days, but they need to be more definitive statements. The tone the leadership sets on this determines how serious people take it.

Right now there are still people thinking that as long as they don't feel sick they can be out and about. Even things like plan ahead, only go to the store once a week or even less makes a difference. Instead the statements were only go out for what you need. There are still people that think if they are healthy, they still can justify making a trip to get carrots for their stew that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.