Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There are other states that have ordered it, but I imagine they are running into the exact same issues on businesses who define themselves as "essential". The question then becomes who is defining essential, is it being consistently applied and how is it being enforced?

Again, I think it's a good idea. But I just don't think there's any way you can craft a good definition and enforce it.
https://whotv.com/news/coronavirus/...hat-are-considered-essential-workers-in-iowa/

Each state is able to come up with their own list as who they deem is essential. Iowa is choosing to use the one put out by the Department of Homeland Security and they provide a list in this article I've posted.

There is for sure going to be some issues because some companies are not going to comply with these requests. No different than some restaurants and bars not complying either. There could actually be legal ramifications to not complying though, specifically, employee protection/safety laws being broken.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not a big deal since most are already working from home but Principal has implemented mandatory remote work for all U.S. workers.
I applaud companies that are allowing their workers to do so, even if it causes a bit of disruption due to the change. Many work places, including mine, could implement this but choose not to because they believe it'd cause too much of a disruption / leadership does not believe in this pandemic to begin with.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You really set this post up for some great responses

giphy.gif

Reactions: ianoconnor

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
https://whotv.com/news/coronavirus/...hat-are-considered-essential-workers-in-iowa/

Each state is able to come up with their own list as who they deem is essential. Iowa is choosing to use the one put out by the Department of Homeland Security and they provide a list in this article I've posted.

There is for sure going to be some issues because some companies are not going to comply with these requests. No different than some restaurants and bars not complying either. There could actually be legal ramifications to not complying though, specifically, employee protection/safety laws being broken.

It's an interesting list. I just think it's such a hard line to draw.

For example, I'm an estate planning attorney. I've had many clients call me wanting to either review or establish a Will and Medical Power of Attorney in case anything would happen to them. I don't think I'd fall under any occupation on that list, but I guess I personally consider what I described above as a pretty essential service in a time like this. But maybe I'm not. Who knows?

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

For example, I'm an estate planning attorney. I've had many clients call me wanting to either review or establish a Will and Medical Power of Attorney in case anything would happen to them. I don't think I'd fall under occupation on that list, but I guess I personally consider what I described above as a pretty essential service in a time like this. But maybe I'm not. Who knows?
Well they're not saying you have to shut down completely. If you can operate out of your home you can continue to provide the service you do.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
My wife works at a printing company. Owner says they're essential because they print the weekly ad for a grocery store chain.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

For example, I'm an estate planning attorney. I've had many clients call me wanting to either review or establish a Will and Medical Power of Attorney in case anything would happen to them. I don't think I'd fall under occupation on that list, but I guess I personally consider what I described above as a pretty essential service in a time like this. But maybe I'm not. Who knows?
Similar here. I know the ISBA is pushing for legal professionals to be considered essential.

Now if we can get the wrinkles to remote notarization and witnessing in place, we can really be of help, though not all clients have the tech savvy for that even to work. I have a couple, both in their 90's, who want changes to their POA's and estate plan, but understandably don't want to come to the office. Understandably, neither I, nor they, are really interested in myself (and potentially others to witness their wills) coming to their home. You understand the logistical difficulties here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron