Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I bet a lot of the testing has been contact tracing with known infected and people coming back from infected areas. Going to get a lot of negatives that way. I seriously doubt it's because hypochondriacs are showing up with a runny nose at the dr's office and getting tested as some would have you believe.

As well as health professionals that have displayed symptoms, but probably didn't have COVID-19. A good friend of mine's wife had a fever and cough that came and went in about 3-4 days. She's the admin of a nursing home, and they obviously weren't going to let her return to work without a negative test, so she was able to get tested and came back negative.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Any predictions on when they shut down the grocery stores? I work for a credit union and we're still working, but behind locked doors. Drive up, phone, or online services only.

They won't.

They might make you place orders and not enter the store, or limit capacity, but they aren't closing.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I’m just not seeing this blatant disregard for the restrictions. I’m working still but trying to get as much set up to work from home as I can. The decrease in people pit is dramatic. I haven’t left the house except to go to work or my parents since last Saturday so that’s probably some of it.

I drove by Jordan Creek Saturday afternoon and there were certainly way more cars parked outside of Scheels than there should have been...

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I drove by Jordan Creek Saturday afternoon and there were certainly way more cars parked outside of Scheels than there should have been...
I work at the one in Cedar Falls and company wide they restricted the gun area to 5-10 people in there at a time. We had a line going to get in to the gun area and about a 15 minute wait. We heard there was a 2 hour wait at Jordan Creek

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That is another interesting point. Granted I haven't paid as close attention as I should but have they released what the number of people self quarantining vs hospitalization and what level of care they are requiring?

I haven't seen anything about that. But it's looked like the ongoing trend has been at best 1% of the positive tests die (city/location pending) so you'd think that's going to start taking a toll sooner than later.

Last I saw nationally, out of the 'closed' cases it was like 70% death rate vs. 30% recovery, but I'd assume tracking and reporting recoveries is trickier. Like, do those that test positive go back two weeks later to make sure they're negative? I doubt it...so it might just be a message from the patient saying they've quarantined for 14 days and feel fine like a typical recovery.

I got told to quarantine with just a fever (lasted a day, no symptoms outside of sleep deprivation stuffiness) and no test and I haven't messaged them yet since the day after, as I don't want to flood their inbox.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I feel like grocery stores would be last, or near last on the list. Some real chaos and panic would ensue if they closed. Nevertheless, I hate going in them right now.

I didn't realize how many random trips to the store I made until all this started. We are trying not to go, but even when you are prepared it's amazing how many times you say "oh ****, I'm out of _____" per day.

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'm still confused why its so difficult to get tested in Iowa. My coworker's in-laws have symptoms - fever, cough, fatigue and they are in their 60s - and called the doctor, ER, and the state health department. They are told until their fever exceeds 102, they should self-isolate and they don't meet the criteria for a covid19 test. They were told "assume you have it" which is not great for anxiety, fear, etc.

How can that happen but Rand Paul gets an asymptomatic test...(I know the answer but its dumb)

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
I'm still confused why its so difficult to get tested in Iowa. My coworker's in-laws have symptoms - fever, cough, fatigue and they are in their 60s - and called the doctor, ER, and the state health department. They are told until their fever exceeds 102, they should self-isolate and they don't meet the criteria for a covid19 test. They were told "assume you have it" which is not great for anxiety, fear, etc.

How can that happen but Rand Paul gets an asymptomatic test...(I know the answer but its dumb)

Yet half the NBA, celebs, etc get tested without batting an eye..

But we're short on tests!!

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

The reason you cant get tested is because of them having limited testing abilities. You have to meet a certain criteria in order to get tested. That being you have to of been in contact with a confirm case of the virus, have to be hospitalized with respiratory failure and you have to be 60 with a fever and respiratory failure.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA

Wow....so we are at that stage already. Symptoms-->assume you have it and isolate-->hope your fever doesn't go over 102.

Awesome. Not only are we unable to test those exposed to positive cases, we can't even confirm positive cases.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
The reason you cant get tested is because of them having limited testing abilities. You have to meet a certain criteria in order to get tested. That being you have to of been in contact with a confirm case of the virus, have to be hospitalized with respiratory failure and you have to be 60 with a fever and respiratory failure.

So a person has to be in serious enough condition to be hospitalized to even get tested.

Pretty sure this is exactly how South Korea handled it and kept their case numbers low, except just the opposite.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836 and jsb

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

And that is a ******* problem.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Wow....so we are at that stage already. Symptoms-->assume you have it and isolate-->hope your fever doesn't go over 102.

Awesome. Not only are we unable to test those exposed to positive cases, we can't even confirm positive cases.

Here's the other problem, you are MUCH more likely to completely quarantine if you have a positive test result. But if you haven't been tested and have allergy or cold symptoms you are more likely to think it is just a cold and go out even if just for groceries.

(I'm thinking of that a lot this morning because I have a sore throat. I'm 99.9% that it is a cold, but I'm obviously not going anywhere---even the grocery store for the next few weeks if this develops into a cold. But some people would.)

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Question for those of us with teachers as spouses or are teachers. I don't expect school to reconvene for the year (my opinion) so what happens with teacher pay for the remainder of the year? I assume these these three weeks are paid until mid April, but then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.