Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have a guy in my office who is almost 80 who comes in every day and doesn't practice social distancing. He was going to the gym and out to eat every day until they shut those facilities down.
One of my employers was out on vacation all last week and is choosing not to self isolate. Says he rarely left his hotel room and when he did it was for essential purposes.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wonder if some of you realize that you can leave your home and not come in social contact with people.

We needed some house supplies yesterday, so we took the scenic route to Wal Mart in Decorah. We stopped at some county and state land on the way and went for a little hike, and tooled around gravel roads following the Upper Iowa. It was a sunny day, and that area is beautiful this time of year, when the foliage is gone from the hills.

She quickly got what we needed in Wal Mart while I stayed in the truck, and self-checked out. Stayed out of the 6' radius of anyone. Ordered carry out lunch from a local restaurant and went home.

I don't see how you can increase the risk of spread when you aren't coming in contact with people. You can get out of your house without seeing people or entering the 6' radius.

Here in socal there are places in the mountains to do this and sadly other places where thousands are doing it as a crowd.

If you drive somewhere and there are 100s or 1000s of people just leave.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
My wife's workplace had an employee take his wife on vacation to New Orleans, when they got home on Monday, my wife had the job of calling him and telling him that he was being placed on 2 weeks home quarantine , he would be paid for the time not at work, but he was to be at home and not running around the community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott34 and NWICY

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It's really ticking me off to no end that there are idiots out there that went on their normal spring break trips and were in close contact with hundreds of other people, and then they come back to Iowa.

I know of a family that went to Cancun last Tuesday and haven't come back yet. IMO, they shouldn't even be allowed back unless they sit in confinement for 24 hours somewhere first.

I'm one of the idiots, lol.

But context, we'd never taken a trip near break and left the week before most (when the COVID 19 situation was in a different place). We went to a place that we were actually mostly alone (AirBNB on a beach that wasn't populated heavily) and essentially were isolated and had meals at the air bnb and one meal out a day....and by then we were very careful with sanitation).

As we were there, we chose to end our vacation early and come home, seeing the escalation.

Of course, in hindsight, now we could be called idiots, but when we left there were none of the current restrictions (closures of restaurants, travel, no shelter in place orders, etc).

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
One of my employers was out on vacation all last week and is choosing not to self isolate. Says he rarely left his hotel room and when he did it was for essential purposes.

Do this
16eyi2.jpg

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am guessing you will see the number get to 200 in a few days. maybe by Thursday.
I would agree.. I would also think we're soon to record our first death sometime soon. Wondering if as the cases start to increase her hand will be forced to shut down more businesses.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
My only surprise by that is how those people are getting tested.
I bet a lot of the testing has been contact tracing with known infected and people coming back from infected areas. Going to get a lot of negatives that way. I seriously doubt it's because hypochondriacs are showing up with a runny nose at the dr's office and getting tested as some would have you believe.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Agree and at the same time we shouldn’t panic when it does. These cases are from last week before we really shut stuff down.

Well they shut bars and restaurants down last week but I know people still haven't taken it very seriously and I would guess they have spread the virus to a lot of people. My mom works in a store and someone came in and said she wanted to return some shoes but she didn't want to get close to anyone because she had a fever and was coughing.... so if we people that have symptoms going out around town, there are definitely a lot of people without symptoms still spreading it around. Maybe not at quite the rate it would have been but still spreading it. I have some neighbors that are younger and although they couldn't go to a bar on St. Patrick;s day, they held a house party...

• Disagree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I'd guess the deaths start to happen then or just prior as well.

That is another interesting point. Granted I haven't paid as close attention as I should but have they released what the number of people self quarantining vs hospitalization and what level of care they are requiring?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Well they shut bars and restaurants down last week but I know people still haven't taken it very seriously and I would guess they have spread the virus to a lot of people. My mom works in a store and someone came in and said she wanted to return some shoes but she didn't want to get close to anyone because she had a fever and was coughing.... so if we people that have symptoms going out around town, there are definitely a lot of people without symptoms still spreading it around. Maybe not at quite the rate it would have been but still spreading it. I have some neighbors that are younger and although they couldn't go to a bar on St. Patrick;s day, they held a house party...
I’m just not seeing this blatant disregard for the restrictions. I’m working still but trying to get as much set up to work from home as I can. The decrease in people pit is dramatic. I haven’t left the house except to go to work or my parents since last Saturday so that’s probably some of it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The way people all over social media complain about others being out on the road, probably not. They probably don’t realize it. I drove 50 min to my dads on Sunday and saw almost nobody out on Hwy 30. Even then I don’t judge people who are out. As far as I know they could be driving to somewhere to go for a walk or just driving for the sake of driving to get out of the house. That’s doing no harm.

I did that Saturday for a drive in an old car I have collector licensed. Never got out of the car. Trying to burn up some of the old fuel in it, last filled in November 2018 so old stuff. Was a little worried I'd run out of gas. Don't trust the gauge that much and was doing the math on the tank size vs normal mileage.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Any predictions on when they shut down the grocery stores? I work for a credit union and we're still working, but behind locked doors. Drive up, phone, or online services only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron