Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I don't really care what the death rate is, I care what the number of deaths is.

I'd rather see a disease of 5% fatality rate that only a few people get rather than a 0.5% fatality rate that a hundred million people will get.
Total deaths is a function of infections x death rate. So inadvertently? You care about the death rate.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
He may have an inflated view of his essentialness.

Although this would be a great time for the DOT to work on its projects with traffic being down.

Plus if he is a really small firm he isn't working on DOT designs anyway.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
The death rate in the US is already plummeting as we increase testing. After the CDC has collected data over the next few months what does everyone predict the death rate to end up being? Looking back on this a year from now will allow us to see whether we overreacted or if it was indeed necessary.

A: Over 2%
B: 1-2%
C: <1%
D: <0.5%

Again, the final death rate means nothing. The death rate is sky high in places like Italy because the hospitals are being overloaded. A well managed crisis is one that keeps infection rates low and death rates lower.

There’s already ample evidence that regions that don’t take this seriously and take steps to limit spread of the contagion will succumb quickly to overrun hospitals with severe cases.

It’s a disease that we as humans have NO immunity against yet. It’s not like a flu virus that has been flying around forever and we have some built in immunity against. If you catch it you will spread it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
He contracts out with them for surveying and storm water stuff I think. I don't know the lingo, only that I can't imagine that's essential.

I just saw tonight that CDOT is keeping their major projects going and hope to actually do paving ops during the day now. I would be curious if states could and would divert some of their resources away from engineering design projects for consultants

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
St. Louis's goes into effect Monday, and the Kansas City Metro. area goes into effect Tuesday. KC also pushed back the date for schools to resume from April 6th to April 26th.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've brought this up already, but what do any of them even mean when they say shelter in place. Officials really need to stop using that phrase.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Based on Trump's comments today, I would be very surprised if a national shelter in place will be enforced unless things really take a turn for the worse. He seemed pretty set on letting local governments enforce it based on their individual situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.