Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I know the owner of a small civil engineering firm and when I asked him about closing down he told me he'd consider his business essential because the DOT can't wait for highway design plans.

He may have an inflated view of his essentialness.

Although this would be a great time for the DOT to work on its projects with traffic being down.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The death rate in the US is already plummeting as we increase testing. After the CDC has collected data over the next few months what does everyone predict the death rate to end up being? Looking back on this a year from now will allow us to see whether we overreacted or if it was indeed necessary.

A: Over 2%
B: 1-2%
C: <1%
D: <0.5%

I don't really care what the death rate is, I care what the number of deaths is.

I'd rather see a disease of 5% fatality rate that only a few people get rather than a 0.5% fatality rate that a hundred million people will get.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I don't really care what the death rate is, I care what the number of deaths is.

I'd rather see a disease of 5% fatality rate that only a few people get rather than a 0.5% fatality rate that a hundred million people will get.

Well of course but if the fatality rate was reported at 0.5% a month ago our economy wouldn’t be in the dumps.

• Disagree
Reactions: bawbie

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This is true. They relied heavily on technology to track the spread vs testing...which I find very interesting (also alarming lol). Using GPS and credit card information to set up your digital trail then connecting to others who's data overlapped yours...that's pretty cool (as well as terrifying. Although I just finished Snowden's book...)

What's crazy is the vast majority of people have already signed those rights away already with all the social media and amazon platforms.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Maybe she wasn't considering it at the time. Things changed by the hour this last week. It's still that way so anybody looking for definitive answers is going to be waiting a while.
I would definitely get ready for a stay at home order in the next week.

CSP syndrome where whatever someone's doing is automatically wrong simply because it is that certain someone.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The death rate in the US is already plummeting as we increase testing. After the CDC has collected data over the next few months what does everyone predict the death rate to end up being? Looking back on this a year from now will allow us to see whether we overreacted or if it was indeed necessary.

A: Over 2%
B: 1-2%
C: <1%
D: <0.5%

I have a feeling Italy wishes they overreacted. If our hospitals stay at or under capacity, our rate will remain low. If things get like Italy, well, well be like Italy. I don't understand why everyone wants to paint this like the flu. I'm not a scientist, but deductive reasoning tells me that Italy is having so many more deaths because they are flat out overrun. Literally choosing who to try and save. If we can keep the curve flat and treat those who need it, our rate will remain low.

I'd actually prefer we get away from death rate and start posting rates of those who catch this and need supportive care. That is the real issue. When was the last flu season you remember any hospitals saying they are starting to be overrun?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I have a feeling Italy wishes they overreacted. If our hospitals stay at or under capacity, our rate will remain low. If things get like Italy, well, well be like Italy. I don't understand why everyone wants to paint this like the flu. I'm not a scientist, but deductive reasoning tells me that Italy is having so many more deaths because they are flat out overrun. Literally choosing who to try and save. If we can keep the curve flat and treat those who need it, our rate will remain low.

I'd actually prefer we get away from death rate and start posting rates of those who catch this and need supportive care. That is the real issue. When was the last flu season you remember any hospitals saying they are starting to be overrun?
Agree. What %age require hospitalization is the real key.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Are Iowa hospitals hitting capacity limits? I haven’t seen anything about that yet so genuinely curious.

They will if it keeps going up daily like it has been.

I don't know how long someone would be in the hospital or need treatment there for the flu or other similar viral conditions but a smidge of hope remains that that season 'ends' as this thing really gains traction over the next month.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Are Iowa hospitals hitting capacity limits? I haven’t seen anything about that yet so genuinely curious.
No, but other states are. New York, Chicago area is very worried. When this virus gets a foothold, it hits hard. As long as interstate transportation/airline travel is still allowed, this isn't really a, "I'm in Iowa, I'm fine," issue. I live in Illinois, a week and a half ago I was told the risk is very low. A week ago they announced schools were closing. Tonight we go on almost full lockdown mode.

If it's in Iowa, it's spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.