The Fran fade

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I think Iowa will be good again. Iowa State will be better than they were this year. If all of Iowa's pieces come back, they could be a very good team next year. Iowa State imo will be a bubble team.

Iowa's going to have a lot of guys available to play next year whether that be freshman or guys coming back from some sort of injury. Time will tell if Fran does the right thing and finds 8 MAYBE 9 guys he really likes and rolls with them the entire year, or if he will play 11 guys and completely throw guys off of their rhythm. If the second thing happens, I don't think Iowa will be as good as some may think.

So, do you think they win by double-digits again?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He'll play Garza as much as he needs to, which will be a lot. Then you kind of have to wonder...Weiskamp probably next in the pecking order, but then a complete logjam. Does he find too many minutes for his boys? This would probably annoy someone like Joe Toussaint. CJ suddenly sharing his minutes with JT and Jorbo....a lot of mouths to feed and Fran has a track record of wanting to feed all of them. No idea if Nunge is even a rotation level player, but you have to factor him in there too. And that will take minutes away from a guy like Pemsl, who isn't really that great anyway, but between the 2 of them would need to fill the massive void left by Kriener.
Yeah as much as I don't like Kriener, he was incredibly solid this year for Iowa. He was, in my opinion, the second best player on the team this year due to CJ's injuries. His production is going to have to be filled by guys that have not seen a lot of minutes at all and then Pemsl who honestly can't be counted on much except for a few minutes here and there.

It'll be interesting to see how Fran distributes the minutes. JBo coming back decreases Toussaint's time and Fran is going to want to play Uhlis I can guarantee you that. He's also probably going to want to play the other shooting guard coming in as well as the freshman big so he can get his toes in the water. I'd assume the twins will redshirt but who knows.

We'll just have to wait and see. I think Fran needs to take a good hard look at this season and look at why they were different than years in the past. If he can do that, Iowa will probably have another good year and could be better than last year. If he doesn't and reverts back to his norm, Iowa will either be worse or the same.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Yep. I'd rather

But I had to scratch my head with your earlier sentiments that we need to replace P5 in-state rivals with teams like FAM; sheze, man up and be a Cyclone.
You were a little harsh with your opinion on our coach when you said he can't seem to elevate & coach his better-athletically talented teams over a bunch of klutzy, white guys who can't play D.
+ JorBo with a 4-1 record vs us ?@? sheeze

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So, do you think they win by double-digits again?
You really never know. We don't know how good Iowa State is going to be and even if Iowa is really good, they could have an off night and lose. It could be an incredibly close game and a team could win either way. Fred's last game against Iowa at Hilton we came back and won and would've probably lost had Gesell made his FT's. The following year Iowa was actually a better team than the year before and we beat them by 15 or whatever without BDJ or Jameel McKay. So you really never know what's going to happen, especially in a rivalry.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
But I had to scratch my head with your earlier sentiments that we need to replace P5 in-state rivals with teams like FAM; sheze, man up and be a Cyclone.
You were a little harsh with your opinion on our coach when you said he can't seem to elevate & coach his better-athletically talented teams over a bunch of klutzy, white guys who can't play D.

Drop Iowa and add Wisconsin instead. Playing Iowa is a lose lose situation

• Creative
Reactions: Lafaester54

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Imagine being in a position where 20-11 and part of a four way tie for 5th in your league generates this enthusiasm- the need of IA fans to be nationally relevant and drag ISU down while doing so is amazing. 1999 was a long time ago, I guess.

First Iowa 4 way that didn't involve a Metro Dome bathroom.

• Funny
Reactions: cycloner29

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I must've missed the extra time we played Iowa in the last 4 years, and lost apparently.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah as much as I don't like Kriener, he was incredibly solid this year for Iowa. He was, in my opinion, the second best player on the team this year due to CJ's injuries. His production is going to have to be filled by guys that have not seen a lot of minutes at all and then Pemsl who honestly can't be counted on much except for a few minutes here and there.

It'll be interesting to see how Fran distributes the minutes. JBo coming back decreases Toussaint's time and Fran is going to want to play Uhlis I can guarantee you that. He's also probably going to want to play the other shooting guard coming in as well as the freshman big so he can get his toes in the water. I'd assume the twins will redshirt but who knows.

We'll just have to wait and see. I think Fran needs to take a good hard look at this season and look at why they were different than years in the past. If he can do that, Iowa will probably have another good year and could be better than last year. If he doesn't and reverts back to his norm, Iowa will either be worse or the same.
I mean somebody needs to fill the"looking at the camera and flexing" role.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We'll lose this Dec. And I would be happy to personally reply to you if I'm wrong.
A little hard to predict a win for ISU, but no reason to count your chickens before they hatch. Fran has effectively turned this game into Iowa's superbowl though, I'll give you that. Or maybe it was Jorbo who did that...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
A little hard to predict a win for ISU, but no reason to count your chickens before they hatch. Fran has effectively turned this game into Iowa's superbowl though, I'll give you that. Or maybe it was Jorbo who did that...

Nobody considering the possibility of no game at all?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

I don't give Fran that much credit, but rather Prohm's inability; especially with better / more gifted players. Our 2016 Monte-led team ( Burton, Naz, Matty, etc) lose to Fran and freshman JorBo ?#@? my red flag meter went off back then.

• Winner
Reactions: tzjung

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron