Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I was told this evening that daycares (at least the ones in WDM) are going to be told to shutdown for a couple of weeks.
Where did you hear this?
I know of 2 daycares in WDM that sent emails today saying they are not closing, unless the Iowa Dept or Public Health advises them to.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
If you're a parent of a young child, and can't miss work to stay home with them, you should've been figuring out a plan a couple of weeks ago. The government can't freaking solve everything. Businesses are gonna have to adapt to the situation.
Do you have kids?
Sorry, but it isn’t this easy. I feel I’ve been pretty informed and have been preparing for this longer than most. My wife and I have brainstormed options for our kids, but none are good.
It is very hard to contingency plan for something with an indefinite end date.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
People just need to relax and calm down, none of us have ever been through a situation like this, we are sailing into uncharted waters.

I would guess most of the schools will follow the Governors recommendation and close for the full four weeks, that is going to effect child care providers as well. I am sure many businesses will be willing to work this those workers that are forced to stay at home with their children.

The worst is still to come, but at least now, for the first time we are being proactive, instead of reactive. Slowing down the spread of the virus is the first step, and a needed one.

Stay positive, work together and we will get through this.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Why would people plan for something that they had been assured was a hoax?

Anybody who's been paying attention over the last week or two, and still thinks it's a hoax(no matter what Trump said a month ago), or an overreaction, well, that's their problem.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Do you have kids?
Sorry, but it isn’t this easy. I feel I’ve been pretty informed and have been preparing for this longer than most. My wife and I have brainstormed options for our kids, but none are good.
It is very hard to contingency plan for something with an indefinite end date.

Yes, I have two small ones. They're staying with neighbors. One of you will need to stay home and/or your employer is going to have to let people stay home.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Where did you hear this?
I know of 2 daycares in WDM that sent emails today saying they are not closing, unless the Iowa Dept or Public Health advises them to.

I was told that the Board is meeting in the morning. Take it for what you will, but I know at least one daycare has been given a heads up that recommendation will be made.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy$

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, I have two small ones. They're staying with neighbors. One of you will need to stay home and/or your employer is going to have to let people stay home.

and all the businesses "allowing" people to wfh? Not everyone has people who can watch their kids. I agree that isn't the gov's problem to solve in this moment (though for healthcare and critical functions they better be working on it) but for a lot of us this isn't easy to figure out even with a bit of lead time. To me the problem is companies still want you figuring out how to give them a full day's work instead of saying yep we're just going to take what we can get right now because in many cases, their work isn't life or death so it can be slowed down rather than expecting people to be putting in crazy hours before kids are up and after bedtime. I really feel for those who have to work on site and not being given assistance for childcare.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
and all the businesses "allowing" people to wfh? Not everyone has people who can watch their kids. I agree that isn't the gov's problem to solve in this moment (though for healthcare and critical functions they better be working on it) but for a lot of us this isn't easy to figure out even with a bit of lead time. To me the problem is companies still want you figuring out how to give them a full day's work instead of saying yep we're just going to take what we can get right now because in many cases, their work isn't life or death so it can be slowed down rather than expecting people to be putting in crazy hours before kids are up and after bedtime. I really feel for those who have to work on site and not being given assistance for childcare.

There is a national shutdown coming. Better start planning for that.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
There is a national shutdown coming. Better start planning for that.

My point is that even with lead time, not everyone can easily figure this out. A two parent household is not a given, a job that lets a parent stay home, alternative care options are a struggle for many right now.

Those of us who are fortunate in that area can afford some empathy rather than judgement for those who are not.

Last edited by a moderator:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I don't know that we have the competence in leadership to do that at a national level. But I have warned my work that they shouldn't rule it out happening at the state level.

My point is that even with lead time, not everyone can easily figure this out. A two parent household is not a given, a job that lets a parent stay home, alternative care options are a struggle for many right now.

Those of us who are fortunate in that area can afford some empathy rather than judgement for those who are not.

Not judging anybody. It's just a fact. People are going to have to bite the bullet on a lot of things, including employers. My family's life has been greatly disrupted because of this, and we are still improvising on many issues. **** happens.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The point is this: it's not that the CDC is lying to us, or passing along bad data. It's that the data itself is incomplete because 1) we have far few tests for people who need them, so there's no way we are capturing all actual coronaviruses cases in these numbers, and 2) even if we had the tests we need, it's a lagging indicator and that "confirmed case" has likely infected numerous others by the time the test is confirmed.

So given all that, it doesn't make sense for the CDC to issue guidance on public gatherings or school closure recommendations based on that data, because the data itself is unreliable. That's why you see governors like Ohio's taking action based on what they know is coming rather than the unreliable data they have now.

Finally, I'm not talking about influenza in any way, shape, or form.
Well said.

We can argue on the degree of nefarious intent later, but right now all that’s important is that using case count as a measure of severity, and thus action needed, falls short when we’re testing at 3rd World level. It’s not complicated, or so I have no idea why the other poster is having trouble.

Little testing equals little cases is a great way to handle COVID19 is you’re void of humanity

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If you're a parent of a young child, and can't miss work to stay home with them, you should've been figuring out a plan a couple of weeks ago. The government can't freaking solve everything. Businesses are gonna have to adapt to the situation.
This is a ridiculous take. How do you expect people to have been planning this for several weeks when leadership was telling us this was no big deal until a few days ago.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is a ridiculous take. How do you expect people to have been planning this for several weeks when leadership was telling us this was no big deal until a few days ago.

I have a lot of sympathy for those in that situation.

but no one should trust the leadership of this country right now.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Reynolds announcement is a mess. There are schools who are still going (Fremont Mills, Maq Valley) schools who canceled tomorrow to see what the Gov says and will then decide about future, and some just up and closed without knowing any specifics. Don’t know about making up days or not. Don’t know about state testing. Don’t know about application of sped laws.

Why recommend and not mandate? Just causing chaos and confusion. Passing the buck to Superintendents, forcing them to make the decision without all the same info she has from public health dept. Ridiculous.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
a lot of people here are very supportive of closing schools, and I get the need for social distancing, but how do we deal with kids whose parents can't work from home? whose parents don't have enough vacation to stay at home? who rely on school lunches as their only true meal of the day? whose parents are forced to stay home and not get paid their normal hourly wage? to me, there are a ton of repercussions to this that could also get disastrous fast

I agree. It would be one thing if CDC recommendations were to close schools but it seems that they don’t even recommend closures like this if there are cases in the schools. Their models don’t show it making a real difference and the other issues are more pressing. As I’ve been saying we need to take this seriously but we need to do stuff that is evidence based. Shutting down schools currently isn’t evidence based.

Reactions: bos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron