Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Has the team practiced outside on real grass since Fall camp? I drive by the stadium often and I don't think I've see them across University or behind Bergstrom since the season started. That may be a clue.

Do they ever practice in the stadium?

RylChf25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 1, 2019
What do they use to heat the field?

Probably not practical, but I picture using pex with hot water running through it like what is used for in floor heating and driveway heating. If this is the case I can't imagine the price being that crazy.

The cost for the Chiefs was $2.2 mil when they installed field heating 3 years ago. Appears to basically be a jacked up version of in floor heating and driveway heating.
https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-...lion-dollar-heating-system-under-pla-18287078

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I always preferred grass but graduated just as high schools started installing the new turf so I can't really comment on how it feels. Walking on it was nice.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I always preferred grass but graduated just as high schools started installing the new turf so I can't really comment on how it feels. Walking on it was nice.
It's not exactly the same thing but the majority of soccer players I know find it novel when they get to play on field turf but prefer to play on grass. Some of it is how the ball bounces but a lot of it has to do with traction, grab and the rubber pellets.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The cost for the Chiefs was $2.2 mil when they installed field heating 3 years ago. Appears to basically be a jacked up version of in floor heating and driveway heating.
https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-...lion-dollar-heating-system-under-pla-18287078

I've previously mentioned the electric heating system SKC has. No mention of cost besides "multi-million". Probably a tough sell for only a couple games a year.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article226806009.html

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
During the summer, yes. In season, no way

Even in the summer it gets little to no use. From my experience the only times they are on it s spring scrimmage, maybe a scrimmage or two during fall camp and then games. They have Johnny Majors and the field of dreams for outdoor practice fields

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Even in the summer it gets little to no use. From my experience the only times they are on it s spring scrimmage, maybe a scrimmage or two during fall camp and then games. They have Johnny Majors and the field of dreams for outdoor practice fields
From 2001-2012 the Iowa Shrine Bowl was played at Jack Trice. But yes, the field isnt used much use outside of the football season.

Reactions: wxman1

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Do they ever practice on grass anymore?

I drive by often and haven't seen them outside for practice since the season began.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Do they ever practice on grass anymore?

I drive by often and haven't seen them outside for practice since the season began.

Hard to see the fields from most roads. Also I don't know when they practice.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I know the Green Bay hybrid system field has been brought up several times through these natural grass vs artificial field turf debates and discussions. I hadn't seen this posted yet, but a neat behind the scenes prep leading up to an NFL gameday.

Check out from about 4:33 to 7:14 for the field and grow lights discussion.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I know the Green Bay hybrid system field has been brought up several times through these natural grass vs artificial field turf debates and discussions. I hadn't seen this posted yet, but a neat behind the scenes prep leading up to an NFL gameday.

Grow lights discussion? You’ve got my click.

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Nice little clip of Kittle from Iowa and Lazard at the beginning there.

I have always liked the idea of the natural turf, but the last 2 seasons the turf has been a mess after the first few games. Need to do something different.

Tacoclone

Jun 26, 2017
Ames
Iowa State to receive bids on new sod installation FWIW

ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS
Electronic bids for the construction of Jack Trice Stadium-Field Renovation CP002638
at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, will be received by the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, at www.bidexpress.com prior to 2:01 p.m. local Iowa time, on the 12th day of March, 2020, and will then be publicly opened and read aloud.
The project consists of, but is not limited to, removal and stockpiling of existing root zone materials, finish grading, sod installation and irrigation system adjustments. Contractor shall provide all incidental materials and equipment to install to specifications the system shown in the construction documents. Questions regarding the scope of work should be directed to Brent Strauch of Shive-Hattery.

Project Information: Substantial Completion: May 15, 2021
Final Completion: July 14, 2021
Bid Estimate: $154,000

Attachments

• 1820.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Go with Field Turf. Looks fantastic on TV, especially for night games.

I loved sod in the old days. It's total garbage now. Ames climate not conducive to maintaining a nice field. Looks dull and crappy by late october. I don't understand our love affair with it.

Plus the damn field is muddy in September half the time w/ the rainfall.

We barely escaped a monumental, historic embarrassment vs Drake in 2018. The field was atrocious. geezus people

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron