Iowa State Basketball is a Mid-Major Roster

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The South Dakota St. commit, who hardly plays? The South Dakota St. commit who couldn't beat out Jackson or Nixon?
No one knows how good Toussaint or Grill is going to be. Grill got those offers because of the potential he had, not because of the player he already is. Obviously there is potential there or else he wouldn't have gotten those offers. Time will tell with Grill, but assuming either way that he's going to be great or bad at this very moment is dumb.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
No one knows how good Toussaint or Grill is going to be. Grill got those offers because of the potential he had, not because of the player he already is. Obviously there is potential there or else he wouldn't have gotten those offers. Time will tell with Grill, but assuming either way that he's going to be great or bad at this very moment is dumb.

You are reasonable, so look at this reasonably. If Grill can't crack the lineup with so few legitimate Big12 players in front of him, that doesn't speak very highly of him. If you couldn't take Jackson's or Nixon's minutes on the team, that says a lot. Sure there is always the hope he could totally breakout out of nowhere, but that is a slim possibility if he can't pass up those guys.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think it is an effort issue which is on the coach and player.
If you don't play hard, you don't play. That was part of the reason for Lewis not playing much before this, but he's now going to have to because of Halliburton's injury.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018

You are kind of at the Walden "hope for the best" fan stage then. I mean sure anything can happen, maybe Grill is the next Luka Garza having a crazy level of development over one summer. The odds of that are very slim considering he can't beat out Jackson or Nixon right now.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Toussaint's ceiling is pretty low which is why nobody wanted him. A tiny guard who can't shoot or handle the ball is not a recipe for success
Now he can't handle the ball? He's a terrific ball handler who struggles to make good decisions because he's going a million miles an hour. He's the fastest guy on the court at any given time. You can't teach the athleticism he has. He's 6'0" and built like a brick sheet house....tiny, lol

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think it is an effort issue which is on the coach and player.

Idk, I think its all upstairs with TL, he works hard, you see him busting his butt only to be totally out of place. Once he gets a little out of position, he panics, scrambles and then its usually a wide open 3 for the other team. He's always a step behind but he is very active on rebounds and lose balls, I think the effort is there. It's mostly a coaching issue. If you are pulled from the game for 1 or 2 mistakes and never allowed to return, it'll get you overthinking things, which is going to slow you down.

• Agree
Reactions: Iastatecyclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You are reasonable, so look at this reasonably. If Grill can't crack the lineup with so few legitimate Big12 players in front of him, that doesn't speak very highly of him. If you couldn't take Jackson's or Nixon's minutes on the team, that says a lot. Sure there is always the hope he could totally breakout out of nowhere, but that is a slim possibility if he can't pass up those guys.
If he looks like this same player next year, I will agree that there will be a slim chance. I'm not going to base my judgement off of this year in which he's an 18 year old freshman.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
The South Dakota St. commit who shoots a lower FG% than Toussaint, and who's PER is about 1/3 of Toussaints?

giphy.gif

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You are kind of at the Walden "hope for the best" fan stage then. I mean sure anything can happen, maybe Grill is the next Luka Garza having a crazy level of development over one summer. The odds of that are very slim considering he can't beat out Jackson or Nixon right now.

I mean he was recruited based on potential but what does Chris Beard know

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Now he can't handle the ball? He's a terrific ball handler who struggles to make good decisions because he's going a million miles an hour. He's the fastest guy on the court at any given time. You can't teach the athleticism he has. He's 6'0" and built like a brick sheet house....tiny, lol

He's smaller than Jordan Bohannon. Lol he's tiny

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I mean he was recruited based on potential but what does Chris Beard know

Beard could probably develop most of the Clone players into being better than they are. Unfortunately for them, they don't play for Beard.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Twins makes it too easy these days. He is like that baseball player that has stuck around for 2 years too long You watch him labor away in the minor leagues hoping to get a 2 week stint back in the bigs. It is sad really

Willie Mays with the Mets.

Brett Favre in his last year with the Vikings.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Beard could probably develop most of the Clone players into being better than they are. Unfortunately for them, they don't play for Beard.
Prohm's put more players into the NBA.. Beard is a better overall coach though I won't disagree with that. I mean the guy literally just went to the national title last year.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Prohm's put more players into the NBA.. Beard is a better overall coach though I won't disagree with that. I mean the guy literally just went to the national title last year.

LOL, Beard is 10x the coach and developer of talent than Prohm is.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

Help Support Us

Become a patron