***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Your argument is the glass half-empty one. "Sure, those guys are good, but there are so few of them, and remember Holden and Jeff MFing Beverly?"

My argument is the glass half-full one. "Sure, Jeff MFing Beverly is a legend and they are unlikely to equal that triumph next time around, but is not the fact they have at least a few good examples -- which you acknowledge with Bolton and D-Jax -- the best evidence they might be able to pull something off at least like that again?

The best proof you can do something again is having done it before.

upload_2020-2-11_14-30-51.png

here are the D1 transfers this staff has landed.

I would make the case that 3 of the 9 were capable big 12 players (Bolton, Shayok, Jacobson)

You're right that the staff has hit before but 33% success rate isnt very encouraging. Even less when you break that number down to "immediately eligible" players of which their only hit was Bolton, imo

• Informative
Reactions: JBone84

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
View attachment 70154

I would make the case that 3 of the 9 were capable big 12 players (Bolton, Shayok, Jacobson)

You're right that the staff has hit before but 33% success rate isnt very encouraging. Even less when you break that number down to "immediately eligible" players of which their only hit was Bolton, imo

If I bat 0.333 in the MLB, I'm playing in an all-star game.

tenor.gif

D-Jax was a hit in the immediately-eligible category.

I don't really care if they were D-1 or JUCO players previously.

• Funny
Reactions: heitclone

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
If I bat 0.333 in the MLB, I'm playing in an all-star game.

tenor.gif

D-Jax was a hit in the immediately-eligible category.

I don't really care if they were D-1 or JUCO players previously.

i guess i should add DJax but he’s only 1 more person and he’s literally the only juco player Prohm has landed in his ISU tenure.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
View attachment 70154

That's pretty harsh. Some certainly haven't been all stars, but still capable of filling a role at this level.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'd love to hear the rationale behind this one. Likely immediately eligible, prior relationship with the staff, good player. Sounds like literally the exact thing we need.

If that is the only option or the best option they can get, take him, but ISU needs guards who can shoot and he doesn't add anything to that. I would prefer they look to see if they can get that before taking him on.

Seems like it would be like adding a taller version of Nixon.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
i guess i should add DJax but he’s only 1 more person and he’s literally the only juco player Prohm has landed in his ISU tenure.

Immediately eligible guys --

HITS:

Bolton
Jackson

Somewhere in the middle but more of a miss than a hit?

Bowie
Talley

MISSES:

Beverly
Brase
Holden

2/7? 2.5/7? 3/7?

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't get why people dismiss Talley and Bowie. Both guys were solid role players, not stars but big 12 players.

I agree with you here, but remember the context of this conversation.

We are going to need guys who can come in and be Day One contributors, if not starters, in the Big 12 next season if we are going to stage a comeback.

How many immediately-eligible guys has Prohm found like that?

I think the consensus was two -- Bolton and Jackson.

Talley and Bowie are fine if they are like the 8th guy on your bench at the back of the rotation, but if you need them to play starter minutes... not so much.

You can call them acceptable role players, which they were, but we need more.

The other guys just were not Big 12 players in any role.

That is why I put that middle category. Bowie and Talley were not really busts or misses, but they were not really adequate for what we are going to need.

Last edited:

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

players listed in article

Mike Smith - Columbia - 5-11 PG 21 ppg 4.2 rpg 4.7 apg 37% 3P

Ryan Betley - Penn - 6-5 Guard 12.4 ppg 6.2 rpg 1.2 apg 36% 3P

Jordan Bruner - Yale - 6-9 forward 11.8 ppg 9.4 rpg 3.7 apg 36% 3P

Seth Towns - Harvard - 6-7 forward 14.2 ppg 5.0 rpg 1.6 apg 42% 3P

Brendan Barry - Dartmouth 6-2 guard 13.2 ppg 3.2 rpg 3.2 apg 44% 3P

Patrick Tape - Columbia 6-10 forward 11.3 ppg 5.9 rpg 1.3 bpg

Jake Killingsworth - Columbia 6-5 guard 7.9 ppg 5.3 rpg 1.7 apg 36% 3P

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

players listed in article

Mike Smith - Columbia - 5-11 PG 21 ppg 4.2 rpg 4.7 apg 37% 3P

Ryan Betley - Penn - 6-5 Guard 12.4 ppg 6.2 rpg 1.2 apg 36% 3P

Jordan Bruner - Yale - 6-9 forward 11.8 ppg 9.4 rpg 3.7 apg 36% 3P

Seth Towns - Harvard - 6-7 forward 14.2 ppg 5.0 rpg 1.6 apg 42% 3P

Brendan Barry - Dartmouth 6-2 guard 13.2 ppg 3.2 rpg 3.2 apg 44% 3P

Patrick Tape - Columbia 6-10 forward 11.3 ppg 5.9 rpg 1.3 bpg

Jake Killingsworth - Columbia 6-5 guard 7.9 ppg 5.3 rpg 1.7 apg 36% 3P

A lot of those guys are going to be very popular.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
A lot of those guys are going to be very popular.

Mike Smith will be one of the top transfers this cycle but i think ISU could have a good shot at Barry or Betley if they targeted them. both fit the mold of what prohm wants to run

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I agree with you here, but remember the context of this conversation.

We are going to need guys who can come in and be Day One contributors, if not starters, in the Big 12 next season if we are going to stage a comeback.

How many immediately-eligible guys has Prohm found like that?

I think the consensus was two -- Bolton and Jackson.

Talley and Bowie are fine if they are like the 8th guy on your bench at the back of the rotation, but if you need them to play starter-minutes... not so much.

You can call them acceptable role players, which they were, but we need more.

The other guys just were not Big 12 players in any role.

That is why I put that middle category. Bowie and Talley were not really busts or misses, but they were not really adequate for what we are going to need.

The issue is there are only 5-10 players who grad transfer that actually would be considered impact starters to meet that expectation.

Even last year the impact of the top 10 (per this preseason list) really has changed the fortune of the team they joined.

NCAAF
NCAAB
NFL
NBA
Watch
Networks
Search...
COLLEGE BASKETBALL NOVEMBER 1,2019
College Basketball’s Top 20 Transfers for 2019-20
Jeff Goodman, Stadium Basketball Insider
by Jeff Goodman, Stadium Basketball Insider
Pause
Unmute
Current Time
0:26
/
Duration
3:20

Fullscreen
Transfers are all the rage these days. It’s become the new way of recruiting in recent years, and Texas Tech Head Coach Chris Beard used a couple of transfers — Matt Mooney and Tariq Owens — to help reload and get to the championship game last season.

[RELATED: College Basketball’s 2019-20 Midseason Transfer List]

Here’s a list of the 20 transfers who will make a significant impact this season:
https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-top-20-transfers-for-2019-20-10-31-2019/
1) Kerry Blackshear Jr., 6-10, 250, PF, Grad, Florida
2018-19 Stats: 14.9 ppg, 7.5 rpg (Virginia Tech)
Scout’s take: “Skilled post player that you can run offense through. He can score with his back to the basket, at the elbow or extend to beyond the 3-point line. Extremely high basketball IQ, can rebound in his area, has a mean streak and toughness about him.”

2) Quentin Grimes, 6-5, 210, G, So. (Waiver), Houston
2018-19 Stats: 8.4 ppg (Kansas)
Scout’s take: “Doesn’t do anything exceptional, but does everything well. Should be Kelvin Sampson’s best player and will thrive with a change of scenery.”

3) Chris Clarke, 6-6, 205, SF, Grad, Texas Tech
2017-18 Stats: 8.2 ppg, 6.3 rpg (2017-18 at Virginia Tech)
Scout’s take: “Quick-twitch athlete, big-time motor with a high basketball IQ. Can play and also guard multiple positions.”

4) Nate Sestina, 6-9, 245, PF, Grad, Kentucky
2018-19 Stats: 15.8 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 38% 3-pointers (Bucknell)
Scout’s take: “Very good catch-and-shoot guy. Makes 3s and stretches the floor. Shoots a turnaround jumper in the post. Physical and strong, good position rebounder and uses strength. Goes after misses. Solid low-post defender, average foot-speed guarding on the perimeter.”

5) Shakur Juiston, 6-7, 220, PF, Grad, Oregon
2018-19 Stats: 10.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg (UNLV)
Scout’s take: “He’s a banger, a phenomenal rebounder. Quick twitch. He can finish around the rim and step out to mid-range.”

6) Omer Yurtseven, 7-0, 275, C, Sr., Georgetown
2017-18 Stats: 13.5 ppg, 6.7 rpg (NC State)
Scout’s take: “The guy is a skilled big man, and we all know Patrick Ewing will do his best to get him the ball. He can score in the post, and also steps out.”

7) Admon Gilder, 6-4, 200, G, Grad, Gonzaga
2017-18 Stats: 12.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 40% 3-pointers (Texas A&M)
Scout’s take: “Big-time kid, relentless work ethic. He was one of the best defensive players in the SEC over the last three seasons and has already scored over 1,000 points in his career.”

8) Rasir Bolton, 6-2, 180, G, So. (Waiver), Iowa State
2018-19 Stats: 11.6 ppg (Penn State)
Scout’s take: “Guard who can score in a variety of ways. Shoots it well from deep, but can also get to the basket.”

9) Justin Pierce, 6-7, 215, F, Grad, North Carolina
2018-19 Stats: 14.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 4.1 apg (William & Mary)
Scout’s take: “Long, skilled and athletic hybrid forward who is a stat stuffer. Excellent cutter, passes it well, needs to get stronger.”

10) Malachi Flynn, 6-2, 180, PG, Jr., San Diego State
2017-18 Stats: 15.8 ppg, 4.3 apg (Washington State)
Scout’s take: “Quick little guard who could wind up being San Diego State’s best player. He can get into the lane, shoots it and also can run the team.”

Many of those listed ISU did contact but due to a lack previous connection or players just wanting a place closer to home were not coming to Ames. Bolton has an argument as being the most impactful one in the top 10 and the staff should get a lot of credit for that.

My point isn't that ISU shouldn't recruit and impact transfer for next year, rather that even getting a top 10 GT doesn't mean it automatically works out. It is a total crap shoot how a new player will step into a new conference and stay or improve on their numbers day one after only one summer learning a system/team. (same thing for JC players who aren't the magic bullet to improve a team immediately).
I would rather judge the staff on the sit out transfers and how they develop on therr time sitting out and impact the team once eligible. I will focus more on Johnson and hoping he is a major player for ISU next year rather than whom ever they get on the ultra competitive GT market.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
The issue is there are only 5-10 players who grad transfer that actually would be considered impact starters to meet that expectation.

Even last year the impact of the top 10 (per this preseason list) really has changed the fortune of the team they joined.

NCAAF
NCAAB
NFL
NBA
Watch
Networks
Search...
COLLEGE BASKETBALL NOVEMBER 1,2019
College Basketball’s Top 20 Transfers for 2019-20
Jeff Goodman, Stadium Basketball Insider
by Jeff Goodman, Stadium Basketball Insider
Pause
Unmute
Current Time
0:26
/
Duration
3:20

Fullscreen
Transfers are all the rage these days. It’s become the new way of recruiting in recent years, and Texas Tech Head Coach Chris Beard used a couple of transfers — Matt Mooney and Tariq Owens — to help reload and get to the championship game last season.

[RELATED: College Basketball’s 2019-20 Midseason Transfer List]

Here’s a list of the 20 transfers who will make a significant impact this season:
https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-top-20-transfers-for-2019-20-10-31-2019/
1) Kerry Blackshear Jr., 6-10, 250, PF, Grad, Florida
2018-19 Stats: 14.9 ppg, 7.5 rpg (Virginia Tech)
Scout’s take: “Skilled post player that you can run offense through. He can score with his back to the basket, at the elbow or extend to beyond the 3-point line. Extremely high basketball IQ, can rebound in his area, has a mean streak and toughness about him.”

2) Quentin Grimes, 6-5, 210, G, So. (Waiver), Houston
2018-19 Stats: 8.4 ppg (Kansas)
Scout’s take: “Doesn’t do anything exceptional, but does everything well. Should be Kelvin Sampson’s best player and will thrive with a change of scenery.”

3) Chris Clarke, 6-6, 205, SF, Grad, Texas Tech
2017-18 Stats: 8.2 ppg, 6.3 rpg (2017-18 at Virginia Tech)
Scout’s take: “Quick-twitch athlete, big-time motor with a high basketball IQ. Can play and also guard multiple positions.”

4) Nate Sestina, 6-9, 245, PF, Grad, Kentucky
2018-19 Stats: 15.8 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 38% 3-pointers (Bucknell)
Scout’s take: “Very good catch-and-shoot guy. Makes 3s and stretches the floor. Shoots a turnaround jumper in the post. Physical and strong, good position rebounder and uses strength. Goes after misses. Solid low-post defender, average foot-speed guarding on the perimeter.”

5) Shakur Juiston, 6-7, 220, PF, Grad, Oregon
2018-19 Stats: 10.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg (UNLV)
Scout’s take: “He’s a banger, a phenomenal rebounder. Quick twitch. He can finish around the rim and step out to mid-range.”

6) Omer Yurtseven, 7-0, 275, C, Sr., Georgetown
2017-18 Stats: 13.5 ppg, 6.7 rpg (NC State)
Scout’s take: “The guy is a skilled big man, and we all know Patrick Ewing will do his best to get him the ball. He can score in the post, and also steps out.”

7) Admon Gilder, 6-4, 200, G, Grad, Gonzaga
2017-18 Stats: 12.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 40% 3-pointers (Texas A&M)
Scout’s take: “Big-time kid, relentless work ethic. He was one of the best defensive players in the SEC over the last three seasons and has already scored over 1,000 points in his career.”

8) Rasir Bolton, 6-2, 180, G, So. (Waiver), Iowa State
2018-19 Stats: 11.6 ppg (Penn State)
Scout’s take: “Guard who can score in a variety of ways. Shoots it well from deep, but can also get to the basket.”

9) Justin Pierce, 6-7, 215, F, Grad, North Carolina
2018-19 Stats: 14.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 4.1 apg (William & Mary)
Scout’s take: “Long, skilled and athletic hybrid forward who is a stat stuffer. Excellent cutter, passes it well, needs to get stronger.”

10) Malachi Flynn, 6-2, 180, PG, Jr., San Diego State
2017-18 Stats: 15.8 ppg, 4.3 apg (Washington State)
Scout’s take: “Quick little guard who could wind up being San Diego State’s best player. He can get into the lane, shoots it and also can run the team.”

Many of those listed ISU did contact but due to a lack previous connection or players just wanting a place closer to home were not coming to Ames. Bolton has an argument as being the most impactful one in the top 10 and the staff should get a lot of credit for that.

My point isn't that ISU shouldn't recruit and impact transfer for next year, rather that even getting a top 10 GT doesn't mean it automatically works out. It is a total crap shoot how a new player will step into a new conference and stay or improve on their numbers day one after only one summer learning a system/team. (same thing for JC players who aren't the magic bullet to improve a team immediately).
I would rather judge the staff on the sit out transfers and how they develop on therr time sitting out and impact the team once eligible. I will focus more on Johnson and hoping he is a major player for ISU next year rather than whom ever they get on the ultra competitive GT market.

I'm bored. I'll do a rerank based on how they ended up performing..

1. Malachai Flynn
2. Omer Yurtseven
3. Kerry Blackshear
4. Admon Gilder
5. Rasir Bolton
6. Quentin Grimes
7. Chris Clarke
8. Shakur Juiston
9. Nate Sestina
10. Justin Pierce

Hindsight performance also says Jake Toolson, Macio Teague, Quade Green (now ruled ineligible - grades), and Anthony Mathis probably should of been top 10 guys over 6-10 guys on the list.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't get why people dismiss Talley and Bowie. Both guys were solid role players, not stars but big 12 players.

After a decent jr year Talley averaged 1.8 points and 1 rb his senior year, he barely saw the floor. I don't think we ever really got to see what kind of player he could be, I think he had potential to be a good player for us. He could co write the book about what it's like to live in Stevie's doghouse with Jameel, Cam and TL.

Bowie was actually solid when he wasn't forced to play the 5, Solo's emergence did wonders for him.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
After a decent jr year Talley averaged 1.8 points and 1 rb his senior year, he barely saw the floor. I don't think we ever really got to see what kind of player he could be, I think he had potential to be a good player for us. He could co write the book about what it's like to live in Stevie's doghouse with Jameel, Cam and TL.

Bowie was actually solid when wasn't forced to play the 5, Solo's emergence did wonders for him.

Yeah, I think a player like Talley would be an important cog on a team like this one.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi and heitclone

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I have little confidence this staff will land any immediately eligible player that fits ISUs needs that can make an impact. King has his flaws but I’d rather land someone who’s averaged 20 mpg in Big 10 games than a CUSA or Sun Belt transfer.

If there’s a connection with King, use it and work hard to land him. Don’t wait til spring for better transfers when competition will be much heavier at that time.
I know there was alot of talk in Wisconsin on who was better between Kobe, and Terrence in the 2017 Class. I'm not sure if they were buddies or rivals but they at least know of eachother.