***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, I think a player like Talley would be an important cog on a team like this one.

His largest flaw (a lack of outside shooting abilities) would not be all that helpful on a roster lacking a true sniper, but at least he would be lengthy on defense.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I know we'd be better with King than without him

With the talent that we currently have, it's not hard to say we'd be better. Hope we can add somebody that can shoot the three, which isn't King's strength.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
His largest flaw (a lack of outside shooting abilities) would not be all that helpful on a roster lacking a true sniper, but at least he would be lengthy on defense.

Yeah, and his ball handling would have definitely helped this year as well.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

In recent #TwitterTuesday mailbags, I have been asked a number of times for the latest on Kobe King, the transfer from Wisconsin. The junior guard averaged close to 10 points and three rebounds this season, and will bring a bevy of experience and toughness to his next stop. There is a strong chance that he would be allowed to play immediately in the fall due to the reasons that led to his transfer. The programs that have reached out to him include Arkansas, Cincinnati, Colorado, Creighton, Gonzaga, Miami, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Xavier. He is still in the early stages of his transfer recruitment.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I swear I just saw an article on fb that linked ISU to King, can't find it now, saying they have reached out to him.

I'd love the pickup but I can't really see how any p6 player (that we would actually want and could make an impact) would want to come in to a rebuild situation. King in particular seems like he'd like to go a program that can win now. I think any success with transfers this off season will have to be from a mid major player looking for a step up in competition. The thing that could change that though, is if we land a guy like King, that might improve the outlook to at least convince a decent p6 player that they could be the difference in getting us over the top. Right now, King wouldn't be nearly enough. I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least 1 more opening a month from now,, in addition to Tyrese.

• Informative
Reactions: CY21

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Prohm is going to need a few miracles this spring.

Let's assume we lose 1 recruit, +2 transfer, and TH goes pro. That gives him 4 schollys to try to find players that can shoot, pass, defend, and/or rebound. They're not going to get any coaching in those areas, so they'll have to know how to do that stuff day 1.

Only cyclone fans think a 10 ppg transfer from troy is going to be a difference maker in the b12.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Prohm is going to need a few miracles this spring.

Let's assume we lose 1 recruit, +2 transfer, and TH goes pro. That gives him 4 schollys to try to find players that can shoot, pass, defend, and/or rebound. They're not going to get any coaching in those areas, so they'll have to know how to do that stuff day 1.

Only cyclone fans think a 10 ppg transfer from troy is going to be a difference maker in the b12.
Where in the heck are you getting these numbers from? lol

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
....The thing that could change that though, is if we land a guy like King, that might improve the outlook to at least convince a decent p6 player that they could be the difference in getting us over the top. Right now, King wouldn't be nearly
enough. I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least 1 more opening a month from now,, in addition to Tyrese.

Although he's not known as a shooter, King
would be a nice addition from a ball handling standpoint. This team's lazy passes and poor entry passes to the post are hard to watch.
If we indeed are looking at two openings, the other target hopefully shoots the 3.

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL
Where in the heck are you getting these numbers from? lol

Yeah I was like, Huh? But given that he lost half of the 2019 class before the season even started it's probably reasonable to assume that at least one from 2020 will reneg as the record-setting losses & empty seats pile up. Wouldn't be surprising to see Lewis transfer. Not sure who else of note. Maybe Conditt?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Hines made a really good point on his podcast yesterday on how Leech's and Andersons scholarships would have been much better suited on sit out transfers.

How different would the mindset of the fan base be if we had a couple of these kids sitting out this year?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hines made a really good point on his podcast yesterday on how Leech's and Andersons scholarships would have been much better suited on sit out transfers.

How different would the mindset of the fan base be if we had a couple of these kids sitting out this year?

I'm not sure if it'd change the mindset of some. Some fans only care about the success of the current team / season and block out everything else, allowing themselves to be miserable and think nothing will ever get better.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

I say that in college basketball in 2020 you should have at minimum one sit out transfer on the roster every year. You can’t possibly play all 13 guys on scholarship (sorry Fran) so there is nothing better than a guy who isn’t upset because he is not playing and has nothing to do but focus on academics and improving his game. Plus those guys are less likely to transfer when they do get eligible due to already using their redshirt. Ideally I would want ISU sitting on 2 such guys every year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I have thought the same thing. But then I again, I totally get the gamble they took on Leech.And who knows, if he can put things together at Iowa Western, ISU would probably have an inside track to landing him.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Obviously hind sight is 2020 and having 2 more high expectation upper-classman (w Javian) coming in next year would change next season outlook of some fans.

We should't forget the staff did use Leeches and Anderson's scholarship sand allowed for the pickups of Dubar and Foster (granted they would have over signed for XF still someone would have to leave). I would expect sit out transfers to be more impactfull next year but long term the staff probably prefers those two as Cyclones for the next 4.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm not sure if it'd change the mindset of some. Some fans only care about the success of the current team / season and block out everything else, allowing themselves to be miserable and think nothing will ever get better.

Yeah, we could have an amazing year next year, and the first sign of adversity in the following season would bring them back out of the woodwork.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Wouldn't fill our point guard need for next year but I really wanted Eric Williams from Duquesne. Burton lite. He'll be great at Oregon next year.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi