What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
What has you hopeful for next year?
Can't speak for trev.......but because I don't think last year doesn't count....there is precedent we could win 20-23 games the year after a bad one. Just as likely as not.

Kevin Slifka

Nov 22, 2019
We need to bring Tim Floyd back and out of retirement. I always loved watching his teams. Defense first!! Liked Eustachy for the same reasons but that one won't happen again unless he agrees to wear a shock collar of some sort...…...

• Optimistic
Reactions: amishclone

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Can't speak for trev.......but because I don't think last year doesn't count....there is precedent we could win 20-23 games the year after a bad one. Just as likely as not.
So how are we going to get to 20-23? Tre and Grill going to massively improve? Blackwell and Foster going to play out of their minds as Freshman? Bolton and Conditt gonna be all Big 12? 20-23 wins would be a massive jump, I’m just trying to understand how it’s going to happen from your perspective.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Teams composed of Steve Prohm recruits are 42-36 and will have a below .500 record after this season. We hear what a great recruiter he is, yet, a 3 year sample of below .500 basketball would contradict that notion. If he is a such a great recruiter, why are the 2/3 teams he's built not able to finish .500?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So the answer is yes to half empties like you......last year doesn't count.

What was so great about last year?

Was it when we finished 5th in the league the one year prohm brought some talent of his own? (His other classes haven't planned out as well). Was it when chemistry was such a mess our players were fighting each other during games? Was it when we went in and looked terrible in the NCAA tournament game?

Last year was a mediocre at best year sandwiched between two disastrous years.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Teams composed of Steve Prohm recruits are 42-36 and will have a below .500 record after this season. We hear what a great recruiter he is, yet, a 3 year sample of below .500 basketball would contradict that notion. If he is a such a great recruiter, why are the 2/3 teams he's built not able to finish .500?
How does a bad recruiter keep putting kids in the NBA?

Steve so far has recruited two types of players, guys who never turn into Big 12 players, and guys who leave for the NBA in short order. The biggest problem is not having anyone between those extremes.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Steve so far has recruited two types of players, guys who never turn into Big 12 players, and guys who leave for the NBA in short order. The biggest problem is not having anyone between those extremes.

So he talented kids? If he can bring in talent, why have his teams finished below .500 2/3 years?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I’d like to know why last year was considered such a god damned failure. I can sort of understand it being a bit disappointing but it was NOTHING like a failure.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So he talented kids? If he can bring in talent, why have his teams finished below .500 2/3 years?
Because before each of those years, a mass amount of talent left all at one time and we weren't capable of replacing it all in one class. We aren't Duke, we can't just reload on classes full of top-50 freshmen every year.

Look at Hoiberg's success. It wasn't built on kids leaving early, it was built on a mass talent base that stuck around 4-5 straight years, supplanted by high-risk transfers that are no longer the free commodity that they were for him. Hoiberg basically had two highly-acheiving classes provide years of success and stability...until they left.

Reactions: Psyclone

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So how are we going to get to 20-23? Tre and Grill going to massively improve? Blackwell and Foster going to play out of their minds as Freshman? Bolton and Conditt gonna be all Big 12? 20-23 wins would be a massive jump, I’m just trying to understand how it’s going to happen from your perspective.
At the beginning of last season.....Solo goes down for the year, Wiggs gets injured, Talley gets in the dog house and Lard......well. If you want I can go back and grab all the many posts saying the season was done before it began. You know why....because no one knew TH was going to be that good, THT was going to be good enough to be a one and doner, that Shayok because of the system at UV could be "that" guy when it came to scoring, or that Jacobsen with all his flaws would fit right in. Yet they won 23 games. That is how I think it could happen again.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Greg McDermott put guys in the NBA. Was he a great recruiter? I guess that’s up to you to decide.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I would say his HS recruiting has been boom or bust and his transfer recruiting has been sub par. Also he has one HS recruit that is in the NBA.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
At the beginning of last season.....Solo goes down for the year, Wiggs gets injured, Talley gets in the dog house and Lard......well. If you want I can go back and grab all the many posts saying the season was done before it began. You know why....because no one knew TH was going to be that good, THT was going to be good enough to be a one and doner, that Shayok because of the system at UV could be "that" guy when it came to scoring, or that Jacobsen with all his flaws would fit right in. Yet they won 23 games. That is how I think it could happen again.
Who said last season was done when Solo went down? I don’t recall that at all.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

1. Because he started in June his first year. Anyone that isn’t out to just hate him should realize that.

2. This year is bad. There’s a reason but it is his fault. He does own the 10-13 record to this point. The reason is that no one expected THT to be one and done. But it is his fault. If you have watched this team this year, and you are honest, you would have expected us to win at least 4 more to finish the year. We won’t now, but there were winnable games on the back half of the schedule.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
What has you hopeful for next year?
Nothing really. That wouldn't change with a new coach though. I'm in the "wait and see" mode for next year. If we are as bad as this year, I'd be ready for a coaching change. If we make the tournament, it's a no brainer to keep Prohm. If we are close, but still miss the tournament I'd probably lean towards making a change, but I'd want to see what the team looks like going forward. Were the freshman good, are Jackson, Grill, Conditt and Bolton improving? I always think its better to keep a coach for a season too long than get rid of him a season too early. I think one of the reasons Campbell came here, and is staying, is the patience we had with Rhodes. Coaches no longer want to take jobs where they might be fired at the first sign of distress.

Prohm has rebuilt after a bad season before. Hopefully he can do it again. If not, I'd be fine if he's let go, but I think he deserves that chance.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Greg McDermott put guys in the NBA. Was he a great recruiter? I guess that’s up to you to decide.

Reminds me a lot of the McDermott recruiting. Some big time gets like Brackins and Johnson but then the rest were for the most part not good.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I’d like to know why last year was considered such a god damned failure. I can sort of understand it being a bit disappointing but it was NOTHING like a failure.

When last year was the peak of prohm with his own players, finishing 5th is a failure. You can try to excuse this year by saying "but he lost all that talent" but 5th place last year either means that that talent was overrated or (more likely) it was a bad coaching job.

His ceilings aren't very high and his floors are very very low.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
How can you recruit any better than bringing in NBA players? That is the ceiling.

Maybe you can't adjust the game well, or maybe you can't get that talent to cooperate and gel well, but getting the talent alone is it's own animal. If Prohm is a bad recruiter, than why is everyone upset about last season being "disappointing" with "the best talent in the conference"? Did he not recruit this talent?

There's plenty of thing to ***** about, but putting kids in the NBA and other pro leagues practically every season is not one of them. Look no further than Foster: kids come to play for us knowing we have a reputation of sourcing the pros.