This is why Prohm must go........

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
With either him or Chris Beard we may have a NCAA title.
wouldn't go that far with Underwood but I think he'd do just as good as Prohm did with Fred's guys. The advantage with Underwood would come when he brought his own guys in.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
I said before the year started Prohm was the best out of a bad list of candidates when Fred left...

I take that back. I'd rather have my choice at the time and have Underwood.
Yep. Underwood turned Illinois around in less than 2 years.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
With either him or Chris Beard we may have a NCAA title.

I'm not sure that roster was built to play Beard "kill drill" defense.

Nor would I imagine the players on it really wanted to.

Going from Fred's relaxed demeanor to Beard's intensity, well, I am not sure all of the guys would have reacted well. They did not sign up for that.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I hate that I’m turning into one of these guys, but I am.

Prohm knows basketball at the desktop level but when was the last time he defended for 30 seconds. And 30 seconds again, and again and again.

And why the **** does Daniyal Robinson still have a job. Dude has been at ISU for two coaching failures.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
k65i4p5c_pkue8s_1lmkp75.png

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think Prohm was a victim of his initial roster. He had a talented group of upperclassman- so he was all in the first 2 years to maintain Fred Hoiberg's program.

In years 4/5 he is trying to create a new culture is finding out that is hard to do. Also losing is a bad habit, hard to break!

The recipe for a great program isn't hard to identify- it's been the same as long as I can remember:
  • Great on ball defense with shot blockers to protect the rim.
  • Great rebounding (off&def)
  • Players who can shoot. A lot of coaches and fans get memorized by great athletes. Great shooters is far more important.
  • Make more free throw a than the opponent attempts. This means pressuring the paint.
The icing is strong 3 point shooting. The are top 20 teams that shoot poorly from 3, but they do the other things well. Do the core items and shoot well from 3 and you have a top 10 program.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think Prohm was a victim of his initial roster. He had a talented group of upperclassman- so he was all in the first 2 years to maintain Fred Hoiberg's program.

In years 4/5 he is trying to create a new culture is finding out that is hard to do. Also losing is a bad habit, hard to break!

The recipe for a great program isn't hard to identify- it's been the same as long as I can remember:
  • Players who can shoot. A lot of coaches and fans get memorized by great athletes. Great shooters is far more important.
  • Make more free throw a than the opponent attempts. This means pressuring the paint.
The icing is strong 3 point shooting. The are top 20 teams that shoot poorly from 3, but they do the other things well. Do the core items and shoot well from 3 and you have a top 10 program.

Unfortunately he hasn't seemed to have really done any of the bullet points.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

I think I've been a lot more quiet than normal this season, certainly compared to last year, and while a part of that is due to the apathy that is generated by a losing season, another part of is that there just that isn't much to write about that hasn't already been commented upon.

I was a Prohm defender through his first 4 years, and in certain contexts, depending on the subject, I suppose I might still be.

Now, I'm simplifying things to a great extent here, but to me being good at basketball boils down to two things; 1) putting the basketball in the basket, and 2) preventing the opposing team from doing that.

Now, damn the offensive efficiency numbers and ratings, because it's obvious to anyone with with even average eyesight that we are not very good at #1, at least in the Big 12. And we are just plain bad at #2.

Again, a simplification, but that's pretty much it, and that's on CSP. This roster, as it currently is, just isn't good enough at doing the things that allow the team to score more than their opponent and prevent themselves from being scored upon. Now, we did have some really significant losses from last season that can't be understated as a reason for our struggles, but most of these guys just haven't improved much or enough for us to compete in the Big 12, and some of them, like Jacobson, have downright regressed. Again, that falls on CSP and the staff.

A part of me hopes that TH struggles enough against the elite teams to cause his stock to drop enough to where it is in his best interest to come back next season (and yes, that is really selfish of me) because with him back and guys like Bolton and Conditt hopefully stepping it up to the next level I think we could be competitive again, but this program needs to have more than 9 wins in early February when it's 5 years into the tenure of the coach.

• Useful
Reactions: CloneFan4

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
It's not having a losing season that is bothering me, it's the fact that Prohm doesn't make any significant changes . If it ain't broke don't fix it. .......but if it IS broke do SOMETHING different. A good coach can't always make the team adjust to what he wants. ......a good coach will make adjustments to make his team work.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yep. Underwood turned Illinois around in less than 2 years.

Following my comment about wanting Underwood when FH left -- Underwood may seems like a better choice longer-term. But that's easy to do w/ how ISU is doing this season and Illinois' current season.

Past two seasons at Illinois have been as bad or worse than almost the entire decade prior to Underwood's arrival. Maybe it's worth enduring that if it's a transition to much higher level and it looks promising given the trajectory this year. But I wouldn't say it's a slam-dunk yet.

And yes, I realize he did a decent good job at Oklahoma State for that single year.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
16/17, Morris's senior season?

Wasn't 15/16 McKay?

The years are starting to run together in my head now.

I forgot all about the McKay deal. Him and Cooke were both in the dog house Niangs last year.
I guess i dont remember any issues Morris' last season. Maybe thats the only year where all the kids 'behaved'. Although Stu definitely deserved more minutes!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The years are starting to run together in my head now.

I forgot all about the McKay deal. Him and Cooke were both in the dog house Niangs last year.
I guess i dont remember any issues Morris' last season. Maybe thats the only year where all the kids 'behaved'. Although Stu definitely deserved more minutes!!

Stu's senior speech was really, really funny.

No 'dog house' stuff that I remember but there was that retrospective 'should have played him earlier' thing from CSP about Solo.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Stu's senior speech was really, really funny.

No 'dog house' stuff that I remember but there was that retrospective 'should have played him earlier' thing from CSP about Solo.

The solo thing is at least partially understandable. He missed quite a bit of time early with injury. But our front court situation definitely needed help that year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The solo thing is at least partially understandable. He missed quite a bit of time early with injury. But our front court situation definitely needed help that year.

That's what I'm saying. He was hurt...but he was still barely playing when healthy and CSP eluded later that he should have been playing more.

• Agree
Reactions: spitfyr36