Biggest Shot in ISU BB History?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not the biggest but the most stunned I was, when JVB hit that Wells bomb to beat Cmac and Creighton.

I was on the baseline with the pep band watching that.

Another big one (the girls) --

0bb58bfc07_NCAAW_03292009.jpg

Alison Lacey with a deep three to defeat Michigan State and advance to the Elite Eight.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Definitely not the biggest, but one of my favorites was the Monte Morris game winner against Texas in the Big 12 tournament. I still think it’s absolutely insane that Iowa State didn’t ever have the lead in that game until the clock was 0.0.

• Agree
Reactions: CyberJJJ

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I was on the baseline with the pep band watching that.

Another big one (the girls) --

0bb58bfc07_NCAAW_03292009.jpg

Alison Lacey with a deep three to defeat Michigan State and advance to the Elite Eight.

Wasn't one single shot, but how about the late 3 point barrage against UConn in 99?

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
This is one I will always remember. WE always had trouble winning on the road and I almost turned this off and Thigpen does this. It was incredible. I about hit the roof. Plus, Colorado had a bunch of Thugs.

What is the CU coach so upset about? That was as routine as it gets

• Funny
Reactions: drlove

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
This is one I will always remember. WE always had trouble winning on the road and I almost turned this off and Thigpen does this. It was incredible. I about hit the roof. Plus, Colorado had a bunch of Thugs.

That’s one of my first great memories of the Cyclones and I didn’t even see it until the next day. I think it was a school night and either it was past my bedtime or the game wasn’t televised. Either way I remember hearing about it the next morning.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
That’s one of my first great memories of the Cyclones and I didn’t even see it until the next day. I think it was a school night and either it was past my bedtime or the game wasn’t televised. Either way I remember hearing about it the next morning.

It was televised. I was watching it . Colorado coach basically pulled the same routine as the UNLV football coach. Started to freak out but in the end everyone watching on TV knew that correct call was in fact made. Plus, No replay back then.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This isn’t the biggest shot ever, probably not even top 5, but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna be in a thread about this topic and not post this video from the best one I saw in person.

Never. Gets. Old.

You could also throw in his shot @ Oklahoma State the same year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

ha :). I had stormed upstairs to my bedroom before he hit that shot. I’m pretty sure we led most of the game before CU took the lead late v

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
In recent years- Naz’s incredible 3 against OSU to send it to OT springboarded us to a Big 12 tourney title and Sweet 16 run. That would be my pick for biggest shot of recent (post Eustachy) history.

mjdivine

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2006
The shot that Barry Stevens hit to beat Missouri in 1982 (I think) was the birth of Hilton Magic, in my mind. It also showed the world that Johnny Orr was in the process of creating something special. It's the first shot in this video:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I should post this picture, which prompted the discussion --

Jackson_Donovan_Kansas_2016_17_3.jpg

A million hearts were broken that day in Lawrence.

I don’t know if that is the biggest shot. But I’m confident that is the best picture. I love everything about it. Neil berry’s face. Hobbs face. Beyer. Nick. And then you start zooming in on the fans.

Reactions: Cycsk

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Was chatting in the Prohm thread, and the subject came up of what is the biggest shot in ISU history. Thought it would be a fun topic to debate and wanted to decouple it from the toxic sludge that is that thread.

Some big games in the past that likely had some big shots that I was either not alive for or too young to remember (so you old guys will have to help us out ;)):

1986 second round win vs Michigan
1996 Big 8 championship vs KU
1997 second round win vs Cincinnati

I’d probably consider Kanes layup vs UNC as the biggest of my lifetime that I can remember.

Go!
Every big shot I can remember from my childhood seems like it was made by Kantrail Horton. I can't name them all but he seemed to be the one shooting them.