Biggest Shot in ISU BB History?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Not the biggest (more like my favorite) shot in history, but Klay Edwards' late game put back in the tourney against HuggyBear and Cincy was fun.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
But the clear cut answer is Barry Stevens to beat Missouri and start Hilton Magic

For many on here, that was "before their time" but I was at that game. Jeff Grayer says that was what started Hilton Magic. In this link go to about 50 seconds of the clip and Grayer starts saying this was the start of Hilton Magic, then at just after the 1 minute mark you see the video of that shot.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This isn’t the biggest shot ever, probably not even top 5, but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna be in a thread about this topic and not post this video from the best one I saw in person.

Never. Gets. Old.

At the end of the day maybe it didn’t make as big of a difference as some others but when I saw the question this was my easy answer.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I should post this picture, which prompted the discussion --

Jackson_Donovan_Kansas_2016_17_3.jpg

A million hearts were broken that day in Lawrence.
Definitely not mine standing from the top row of that arena. Will probably always be my favorite game I attended.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
People, people, people .. Hornacek hit a shot to win the first-round game vs. Miami of Ohio (Ron Harper and co) in 1986 and that was the 1st win in the NCAA tourney win in decades, if I'm not mistaken. Without that, they don't get the match-up to knock off the Joubert - Tarpley Michigan team and get to the Sweet 16:

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Watch this vido of the first round. Some serious talent on the floor including the Miami team had Ron harper

It's this or Kane and that's it. Easy choice. When I think of big shot I think of what's at stake if it misses. Because Kane's sent ISU to the Sweet 16 AND took out a blueblood in the process it has to be Kane's IMO.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Anyone have the shot of Grayer's freshmen year when he hit a big shot against a good Drake team to seal the win

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
March 12th 2015:
Monte Morris' Buzzer beater over Texas. (Allowed ISU to win back to back Big 12 Titles).

Monte Morris buzzer beater over Texas in the Big 12 tournament is mine for various reasons:

1. I had a pocket full of tickets that would have been worth as much as toilet paper if he missed. Monte did me a huge favor by making that shot.

2. It is the only time I've ever known a team to win without ever having the lead with time on the clock. When the ball went through, the clock showed 0:00!

3. Oh yeah, and we went on to win the Big 12 tournament.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I couldn't pick which is the biggest made shot in ISU bb history, but my all-time favorite was Hoiberg dunking over AC Earl

I loved that one, but I likely put it even higher the Fizer dunk over Chris Mimm from Texas.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron