Biggest Shot in ISU BB History?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Was chatting in the Prohm thread, and the subject came up of what is the biggest shot in ISU history. Thought it would be a fun topic to debate and wanted to decouple it from the toxic sludge that is that thread.

Some big games in the past that likely had some big shots that I was either not alive for or too young to remember (so you old guys will have to help us out ;)):

1986 second round win vs Michigan
1996 Big 8 championship vs KU
1997 second round win vs Cincinnati

I’d probably consider Kanes layup vs UNC as the biggest of my lifetime that I can remember.

Go!

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Didn't UNC have an 8ish point lead until Naz hit a couple of 3s to get ISU back in it? Not last second but they definitely changed the game.

tumblr_n2wzal5Jee1rvn2ylo1_400.gifv

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
There’s been a few in my young life span that I would say have been huge:
Kane’s Layup against UNC as mentioned above
The Cowboy Killer Naz (2x)
D-Jack corner 3 at the Phog
I still can’t believe the three Shayok made against KSU in the big 12 tourney last year.
These are all just recent games, but My dad has enlightened me on some previous great cyclone shots via YouTube. This should be a fond memory inducing thread for a lot of people!

Reactions: tyler24

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Some quick thoughts on big ones (Tournament ones) that popped in my head:

1996:
Jacy Halloway's 3 point shot late in the game in the Iowa State vs. Kansas Final Big 8 Championship. (First points in the game that he had.) Freaking huge moment/shot.

1997:
2nd Round of the NCAA Tournament
Iowa State vs. Cincinnati
Someone hit a huge shot with under 30 sec. to go if I remember. (Clay Edwards? I think he was in due to the super poor foul call on Cato that happened right before.) Off the inbound play. Crazy game.

2014:
Iowa State vs. Baylor - Big 12 Tournament Championship Game. Ejim, at the top of the key, hits the first 3 pointer in the game for the Cyclones. Huge moment. ISU had been struggling all game and the lid finally came off at that juncture. The crowd was frustrated, the team frustrated at the poor shooting all night. When he hit that shot, Sprint Center (Hilton South) ERUPTED and it was all over for Baylor. ISU took OVER! (I want to say it was under 5 minutes to go in the 2nd when that happened.)

2014:
Iowa State vs. North Carolina - 2nd Round NCAA Tournament. Kane with the drive and last second score to END the game for UNC. ISU advances to the Sweet 16.

March 12th 2015:
Monte Morris' Buzzer beater over Texas. (Allowed ISU to win back to back Big 12 Titles).

March 15th 2019:
Shayok's baller 3 pointer to defeat K-State and advance to yet another Big 12 Tournament final.

(Bonus: Hilton Moments)

March 8th 2014:
The NAZ LONG shot vs. OSU at Hilton to send it into overtime. ICONIC "Hilton Magic" moment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron