This is why Prohm must go........

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This thread has been an interesting read, but one thing stands out. Those who think Prohm should be let go, have yet to offer a better solution. And, 'no', Fred is not a solution. I instruct all my employees to be open, but for every criticism offered, they'd better have a solution. Otherwise you're nothing than couch coaches who 'hate'.
So everyone critical of Prohm should have a successor in mind? Huh? Isn't that the AD's job? This is Pollard's research project - not the fans'.
There are other Chris Beards out there. He was a virtual unknown. How many Tech fans were initially excited about him? He was fired there as an assistant!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So everyone critical of Prohm should have a successor in mind? Huh? Isn't that the AD's job? This is Pollard's research project - not the fans'.
There are other Chris Beards out there. He was a virtual unknown. How many Tech fans were initially excited about him? He was fired there as an assistant!

There are 10 massive **** ups for every Chris Beard.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Steve Prohm is ISU's Chris Beard. FWIW, Prohm is also 5-2 against Beard while at ISU.

This year will be important, but far too many "fans" are too reactionary towards Prohm. There is no objective person that thinks Prohm should go like this thread title suggest. It is a complete departure from reality and logic.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Steve Prohm is ISU's Chris Beard. FWIW, Prohm is also 5-2 against Beard while at ISU.

This year will be important, but far too many "fans" are too reactionary towards Prohm. There is no objective person that thinks Prohm should go like this thread title suggest. It is a complete departure from reality and logic.

The thread title is annoying....agreed.

But I do think it is safe to say some performance issues do make it fair to raise questions/concerns. It is just too bad the conversation is occurring under the title of this thread.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Just because some think Prohm isn't the guy doesn't mean he should be fired today. Obviously the smart move is to wait until someone better is available.

While I think he's peaked and we've seen the best Prohm can be, I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong, and I believe he's got a little more time to do that. At least next year I'm guessing.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
People keep complaining that Prohm doesn't win and I keep watching these.

maxresdefault.jpg

Awful coach. Huggy Bear and Self sure showed him. Straight up trash tier.

I'm seeing a bunch of guys that were brought to Ames by Fred's staff and played under Fred's staff. I'm seeing them play quite a bit differently than the individuals brought in and coached by Prohm's staff.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just because some think Prohm isn't the guy doesn't mean he should be fired today. Obviously the smart move is to wait until someone better is available.

While I think he's peaked and we've seen the best Prohm can be, I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong, and I believe he's got a little more time to do that. At least next year I'm guessing.

I remember UVA fans telling me Tony Bennett would never make a Final Four. That he had "peaked" and couldn't bring in "elite talent" and the pack-line defense was a "gimmick" and they needed to try out somebody else.

Oops.

Reactions: Doc

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm seeing a bunch of guys that were brought to Ames by Fred's staff and played under Fred's staff. I'm seeing them play quite a bit differently than the individuals brought in and coached by Prohm's staff.

Somebody only watched the first video.

• Funny
Reactions: moores2

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Somebody only watched the first video.

Got me there ;)

The second video is a fun one and it shows there's potential in this team and staff. That team had so much more in it than what it gave for a good portion of last year. That's what's frustrating. I alluded to gaslighting in a recent post. The Big12 Tournament came after a very disappointing month of basketball and cemented in peoples' minds what this team should have been doing all season. Then it reverted to February form in the NCAAs.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Lindell was not great for us last year, but people do make a good point when saying he wasn't set up for success. His role on offense was to stand out on the perimeter and shoot catch and shoot 3's. Did he shoot a decent percentage? Sure. But after watching his freshman season it was obvious his game is driving and slashing in the lane to create shots and get to the foul line.

Was he turnover prone? Sure. Did he overthink and was he tentative when he was slashing last year? Yes. Why? Because the coaches didn't put him in position to be as confident a player as his freshman season. Slashers need to handle the ball and be active in the offense. It's hard to expect him to be the same type of player when he was constantly standing around in the corner waiting to shoot a 3 as the shot clock winds down.

Would putting him at PG have been a risk for more turnovers? Absolutely. But I think I would sacrifice a couple of possessions if it meant having an active and aggressive Lindell. In my mind he was definitely misused and it's not even a question.

It was pretty easy for him to be confident and keep getting minutes as a Fr., especially late in the season because ISU had like 6 guys available to even play. Not to mention they were playing in meaningless games running out the string on a bad season. Once Weiler-Babb went out, it was a great time to let Lindell let it rip and develop as a PG, get more efficient slashing and creating in the lane, cut down on TOs, etc. The thing is, during his Fr. year ISU was good when NWB was healthy and was the PG. When the PG duties were elsewhere, including with Lindell, that was a God-awful team. The injury certainly set his So. year back, but I'm not sure how anyone could watch think ISU would've been better with him at PG. Lots of turnovers, lots of high degree of difficulty shots early in the shot clock. I thought he accepted his role well, and was certainly a good player overall. But if you're going to play him at PG and think that's going to make the team better, you're basing that on pure hope, and not on anything actually observed.

The thing is, guys like Lindell and THT were kind of what you expect underclassmen ranked where they were to be - Sometimes really good, sometimes not. Good at some things, needing serious development in other areas. Based on rankings they were similar to Matt Thomas and Monte. Quite frankly Matt struggled until his Jr. year. Monte was a role player as a Fr. Fred didn't misuse them, they were just underclassmen that needed time to develop.

LW was a guy that should've been a 4 year player. Hard to argue with THT leaving, but expecting a guy that isn't an absolute bluechip to be good AND consistent is pretty unrealistic.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You guys can bash our former players all you want

Remember this....after a game we won no less.............

You guys are completely clueless, we'll see how that 3 plays out at the end of the game. Absolutely inexcusable mistake, I would bench NWB for the second half. Only a complete moron would shoot the ball with enough time left for the other team to score.

It would be one thing if he was wide open, but it was a horrible shot.

I don't know NWB.......but a "complete moron"? Get off your high horse.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I remember UVA fans telling me Tony Bennett would never make a Final Four. That he had "peaked" and couldn't bring in "elite talent" and the pack-line defense was a "gimmick" and they needed to try out somebody else.

Oops.

Bennett at least had an identity to his program with the style of defense.

His first round loss two seasons ago was bad, but with 2 and 3 seeds losing becoming pretty normal the last several years, a 1 going down was only a matter of time; really, there's not a coach that's safe from that kind of upset right now.

• Agree
Reactions: hoopitup

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Bennett at least had an identity to his program with the style of defense.

His first round loss two seasons ago was bad, but with 2 and 3 seeds losing becoming pretty normal the last several years, a 1 going down was only a matter of time; really, there's not a coach that's safe from that kind of upset right now.

I don't disagree at all about the upsets happening, but if that is indeed the case, then why do posters here completely lose their sh!t about us losing as a 6 seed to a Power 5 11 seed?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't disagree at all about the upsets happening, but if that is indeed the case, then why do posters here completely lose their sh!t about us losing as a 6 seed to a Power 5 11 seed?
Probably more to do with the effort to start the game.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Because we played as if it was a 7th place tournament game in Hawaii in November? Did you even watch it?

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Because we played as if it was a 7th place tournament game in Hawaii in November? Did you even watch it?
Using a single elimination tournament to evaluate an entire season or coach is extremely flawed. Is that outcome frustrating? Yes, but there is a lot of variance within a game and sh!t happens.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: CyPunch and Doc

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There are 10 massive **** ups for every Chris Beard.
Probably 10 massive flops and who knows how many mediocre hires.

And by the way, Beard got beat by double digits by Iowa and was in a dog fight with that absolutely horrible Southern Miss team ISU curb stomped.
I think Beard is great, but the guy had a top 5 pick in his back yard and like 5 fifth year guys on that team last year.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Oops.

And before Tony Bennett, there was Jay Wright.

Our team looks pretty lost though.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar