Iowa Basketball's Super Bowl

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
Bohannon called it their super bowl.

We need to take this as a sign of respect for our basketball program. Iowa state has had the better basketball program for the better part of 20 years now. Since 2000 Iowa State has 404 wins, 6 conference tournament championships and 2 Big 12 championships and 10 trips to the NCAA tournament and Iowa has 358 wins and 7 trips to the tournament and no Big 10 championships. Iowa state advanced deeper in the tournament 3 times more than the Hawks ever did.

Iowa knows deep down we have the better basketball program, have had more success, have the better basketball arena and game environment, and have had more post season success.

Most people won't like this when I say it but I don't care because I like to think of myself as a reasonable person but oh well. Up until maybe this year, Iowa was our Super Bowl on the football schedule for a long long time.

Its a sign of respect whether they admit it or not.

We definitely respect your program and atmosphere. Not very impressed with the Prohm and Pollard duo. Prohm is trending down, and if you compare Pollard vs Barta head- to-head in revenue sports recently, Jamie hasn’t been good.

I’m totally ok with it being called our Super Bowl. The all-time series is 46-27. It’s weird to call something a Super Bowl if you win it 2/3 of the time and it references the wrong sport. Either way, as long as we make it Iowa’s Super Bowl, I’m good.

• Funny
Reactions: ATCy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We definitely respect your program and atmosphere. Not very impressed with the Prohm and Pollard duo. Prohm is trending down, and if you compare Pollard vs Barta head- to-head in revenue sports recently, Jamie hasn’t been good.

I’m totally ok with it being called our Super Bowl. The all-time series is 46-27. It’s weird to call something a Super Bowl if you win it 2/3 of the time and it references the wrong sport. Either way, as long as we make it Iowa’s Super Bowl, I’m good.

Thank God we don't judge the reigning National AD of the Year's success on how he does vs our little brother

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Jacobson was one of the most efficient players in CBB last year so if we're for more than just this season he's on there. Nixon would belong on there too just for his defensive numbers he shattered at Colorado State

Those guys would make great Backups on the team, as they are niche players. Jacobson's overall game is meh at best, and he can't come close to hanging with good bigs. Not sure what defensive numbers on Nixon you are talking about? Having a 5.4 WS in 3 years with Colorado St. isn't impressive at all. Jordan had a 9.1 WS in 3 years almost doubling Nixon.

Plus it is tough to put 2 guys in the starting lineups who can't seem to get up for games. All NCAA basketball games are equal to the committee. They aren't going to give ISU any more/less credit for a win/loss over a Iowa vs a conference opponent. Heck a loss vs Iowa at home could be the difference between making the NCAA or missing it, and they can't get up for that? Yikes!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Those guys would make great Backups on the team, as they are niche players. Jacobson's overall game is meh at best, and he can't come close to hanging with good bigs. Not sure what defensive numbers on Nixon you are talking about? Having a 5.4 WS in 3 years with Colorado St. isn't impressive at all. Jordan had a 9.1 WS in 3 years almost doubling Nixon.

Plus it is tough to put 2 guys in the starting lineups who can't seem to get up for games. All NCAA basketball games are equal to the committee. They aren't going to give ISU any more/less credit for a win/loss over a Iowa vs a conference opponent. Heck a loss vs Iowa at home could be the difference between making the NCAA or missing it, and they can't get up for that? Yikes!

Bohannon is literally the definition of a niche player. Lol cmon

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Bohannon called it their super bowl.

We need to take this as a sign of respect for our basketball program. Iowa state has had the better basketball program for the better part of 20 years now. Since 2000 Iowa State has 404 wins, 6 conference tournament championships and 2 Big 12 championships and 10 trips to the NCAA tournament and Iowa has 358 wins and 7 trips to the tournament and no Big 10 championships. Iowa state advanced deeper in the tournament 3 times more than the Hawks ever did.

Iowa State has played in the NCAA Championship Game game 3 times?

I must have missed that.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
You think Bohannon is better defensively than Nixon? Lol oh my God

Nice deflection, never said that. Said Jordan has nearly doubled Nixon WS over 3 full years. Nixon would be an ok piece off the bench tho.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Nice deflection, never said that. Said Jordan has nearly doubled Nixon WS over 3 full years. Nixon would be an ok piece off the bench tho.

You said Jacobson was a niche player so he wouldn't be considered on the "All Iowa team" but say Bohannon, who is the walking definition of a niche player should be on it.

Haliburton
Wieskamp
Bolton
Garza
TBD

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
You said Jacobson was a niche player so he wouldn't be considered on the "All Iowa team" but say Bohannon, who is the walking definition of a niche player should be on it.

Haliburton
Wieskamp
Bolton
Garza
TBD

If this were 40 years ago and big men made a huge difference I would include Jacobson. Since it isn't 40 years ago and the game is about spacing and shooting, then yeah Jordan should absolutely be starting. Why would you want Garza and Jacobson on the court at the same time, that would be stupid. I included Jacobson in the team on the bench to spell Garza 5-8 minutes per game, that would be his role.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If this were 40 years ago and big men made a huge difference I would include Jacobson. Since it isn't 40 years ago and the game is about spacing and shooting, then yeah Jordan should absolutely be starting. Why would you want Garza and Jacobson on the court at the same time, that would be stupid. I included Jacobson in the team on the bench to spell Garza 5-8 minutes per game, that would be his role.

I don't think Jacobson or Bohannon should be on there. I think your narrative that Bohannon should be on here because he used to be able to shoot is incredibly stupid

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I don't think Jacobson or Bohannon should be on there. I think your narrative that Bohannon should be on here because he used to be able to shoot is incredibly stupid

ISU fans of all people should understand what shooters do for teams. If ISU just put one more shooter on the floor with your team this year, and the team is way, way better. Your spacing becomes better, it opens up Halliburton to drive and score or dish to an actual threat on the perimeter. It opens up Young and Jacobson to work down low. I mean I am beginning to wonder if you understand basketball if you don't get what shooters do for an offense.

• Winner
Reactions: iahawks

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
ISU fans of all people should understand what shooters do for teams. If ISU just put one more shooter on the floor with your team this year, and the team is way, way better. Your spacing becomes better, it opens up Halliburton to drive and score or dish to an actual threat on the perimeter. It opens up Young and Jacobson to work down low. I mean I am beginning to wonder if you understand basketball if you don't get what shooters do for an offense.

Adding a 29% shooter to this team who can't defend would not help

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Adding a 29% shooter to this team who can't defend would not help

He is a career 40% 3 pt shooter when healthy. I have said all along a healthy Jordan. I mean I don't want this year Jordan, because he is gonna redshirt and have another surgery, as he is playing on one hip right now. Crazy he is even able to play at all this year, kid is some kind of tough.

• Funny
Reactions: ATCy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He is a career 40% 3 pt shooter when healthy. I have said all along a healthy Jordan. I mean I don't want this year Jordan, because he is gonna redshirt and have another surgery, as he is playing on one hip right now. Crazy he is even able to play at all this year, kid is some kind of tough.

We're talking about this year so I'm glad you don't want him on the team

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
Thank God we don't judge the reigning National AD of the Year's success on how he does vs our little brother

Fair point. If you used that as a judgement criteria, Barta is walking him on a leash. I would exclude that criteria if I was you as well.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yes, this is clearly Iowa's Super Bowl... JorBo even admitted it, and said they had been looking forward to this game for two years.

But ISU fans, don't kid yourselves... that is not why ISU lost. They lost because Iowa is just a LOT better team this year. Granted, our guys gave a total half a$$ed effort in the game, but the talent is just not there folks.

Let's just face it... ISU has one legitimate Big 12 level starter on it's team right now. I think Bolton and Conditt can become legitimate Big 12 level starters, but they aren't there quite yet. We have nobody besides Haliburton that another team would have to prepare for, and also Haliburton is the only player on ISU that you can count on to hit an outside shot at all.

Let's just look at last year's ISU roster compared with this years.... (In bold are the Big 12/NBA level talent)....

Babb
Wigginton
Horton-Tucker
Shayok
Haliburton

Jacobson
Young
Lard
Conditt
Z. Griffin
Zoran Talley
T. Lewis
Carter Boothe
Eric Steyer
Nate Schuster
Nixon- sitting out as a transfer

Haliburton
Bolton
Nixon
Jacobson
Young
Conditt
Z. Griffin
Caleb Grill
T. Jackson
T. Lewis
Carter Boothe
Nate Schuster
Eric Steyer
Nate Jenkins
Javan Johnson- sitting out this year as transfer

The difference in talent level between those two rosters is HUGE!! Not only that, but this year's team has no "shooters" on it outside of Haliburton. And it doesn't help that last year we had 12 available players on scholarship, and this year we have only 10 because Leech and Anderson left before the season even started.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Fair point. If you used that as a judgement criteria, Barta is walking him on a leash. I would exclude that criteria if I was you as well.

If you'd rather have Barta as your AD over JP, that's all the evidence I need to know that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron