Iowa Basketball's Super Bowl

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We played so poorly last night we didn't really make up any ground when Pemsl was in...
Hell, Iowa had a lineup that included Pemsl, Evelyn, Connor and Kreiner and I think ISU might've gotten it from 16 down to 14. Honestly at that point that was still in the first half and I knew it was a lost cause.

It's just amazing how different ISU looked vs. Seton Hall compared to vs. Iowa.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Hell, Iowa had a lineup that included Pemsl, Evelyn, Connor and Kreiner and I think ISU might've gotten it from 16 down to 14. Honestly at that point that was still in the first half and I knew it was a lost cause.

Yes, and that is what is troubling.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008

Iowa must have better athletes than Seton Hall?! Iowa's coaches suck and they only have one or two decent players....

• Useful
Reactions: CloneLawman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa must have better athletes than Seton Hall?! Iowa's coaches suck and they only have one or two decent players....
Every single game is different from the next, especially in basketball. You can be the hottest team in the country and have one bad game and lose.. that's exactly what makes the NCAA tournament the best tournament out there IMO. It's literal madness. Hell, even Duke this year lost to Evansville at home because on that night Evansville was a better team. I'm not equating a loss to Iowa like Duke losing to Evansville, I'm simply saying just because you beat one good team doesn't mean the next night you're going to beat the next good team.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc and VeloClone

cyclonessiouxcounty

Sep 11, 2019
Bohannon called it their Super Bowl so take it out on him

Bohannon called it their super bowl.

We need to take this as a sign of respect for our basketball program. Iowa state has had the better basketball program for the better part of 20 years now. Since 2000 Iowa State has 404 wins, 6 conference tournament championships and 2 Big 12 championships and 10 trips to the NCAA tournament and Iowa has 358 wins and 7 trips to the tournament and no Big 10 championships. Iowa state advanced deeper in the tournament 3 times more than the Hawks ever did.

Iowa knows deep down we have the better basketball program, have had more success, have the better basketball arena and game environment, and have had more post season success.

Most people won't like this when I say it but I don't care because I like to think of myself as a reasonable person but oh well. Up until maybe this year, Iowa was our Super Bowl on the football schedule for a long long time.

Its a sign of respect whether they admit it or not.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfamily and jmb

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Every single game is different from the next, especially in basketball. You can be the hottest team in the country and have one bad game and lose.. that's exactly what makes the NCAA tournament the best tournament out there IMO. It's literal madness. Hell, even Duke this year lost to Evansville at home because on that night Evansville was a better team. I'm not equating a loss to Iowa like Duke losing to Evansville, I'm simply saying just because you beat one good team doesn't mean the next night you're going to beat the next good team.
Whoa - when has Duke played Evansville? I missed that...

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Haliburton
Bolton
Wieskamp
Garza
Conditt/Jacobson/Young

People forget Jacobson was one KenPom's top players last year but love to talk about HM All Conference Jordan Bohannon like he's good

No brainers and no arguments
Joe
Garza
Halliburton

Other two spots
Healthy Jordan
CJ - 63% FG, 51% 3's, 28th highest rated Off. Efficiency in the country, and he coming back from a Quad injury.

Sure Jordan is playing his worst BB right now, as he has a surgically replaced hip and will likely have surgery on the other hip when he shuts it down in a couple days. Yet his body of work is a 40%+ 3 pt shooter, 90% FT shooter, and clutch all the time in big shots and FT when it counts.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
The night Iowa played Depaul I had to shut it off and walk away. Probably felt similar about the Hawks at that point as some here did about the Clones last night. They since have played way better than I thought was possible that night. Against Depaul they had a poor game plan, poor shooting, looked slow, and the effort didn't look great. It's one given night. Depaul has turned out to be pretty decent and the Hawks have figured things out a little bit. That was just a month ago. Things change fast.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Joe
Garza
Halliburton

Other two spots
Healthy Jordan
CJ - 63% FG, 51% 3's, 28th highest rated Off. Efficiency in the country, and he coming back from a Quad injury.

Sure Jordan is playing his worst BB right now, as he has a surgically replaced hip and will likely have surgery on the other hip when he shuts it down in a couple days. Yet his body of work is a 40%+ 3 pt shooter, 90% FT shooter, and clutch all the time in big shots and FT when it counts.
Something tells me that CJ is going to turn out pretty good and people that ripped on him before they ever seen him play will feel foolish.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Joe
Garza
Halliburton

Other two spots
Healthy Jordan

How is a 15 ppg scorer who's a plus defender not a no brainer? Bohannon wouldn't even be in the top 8 this year. He can't defend or shoot. His strength is shooting and he's 29% on the season lol

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The night Iowa played Depaul I had to shut it off and walk away. Probably felt similar about the Hawks at that point as some here did about the Clones last night. They since have played way better than I thought was possible that night. Against Depaul they had a poor game plan, poor shooting, looked slow, and the effort didn't look great. It's one given night. Depaul has turned out to be pretty decent and the Hawks have figured things out a little bit. That was just a month ago. Things change fast.

This is a good assessment. It was one game. Will see how ISU bounces back from that. Iowa has played better so far this year than I thought they would. I didn't think they would beat Texas Tech or ISU and thought Syracuse was going to be tough.

• Agree
Reactions: TRYHARDER

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
How is a 15 ppg scorer who's a plus defender not a no brainer? Bohannon wouldn't even be in the top 8 this year. He can't defend or shoot. His strength is shooting and he's 29% on the season lol

You are quoting Jordan's stats from this year only, and he is playing on a surgically repaired hip, and is gonna shut it down and have surgery on his other hip as well. I specifically said a healthy Jordan.

Bolton is a career 33% 3 pt shooter and has a career Orating of 101 with a career 1.3 OWS and 1.2 DWS

Jordan is a career 40% 3 pt shooter has a career Orating of 117 with a career 8 OWS and 1.8 DWS

It really isn't close, but I think you know that and this is why you will only talk about Jordan's stats playing with an injury that is going to shut down his season.

• Creative
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You are quoting Jordan's stats from this year only, and he is playing on a surgically repaired hip, and is gonna shut it down and have surgery on his other hip as well. I specifically said a healthy Jordan.

Bolton is a career 33% 3 pt shooter and has a career Orating of 101 with a career 1.3 OWS and 1.2 DWS

Jordan is a career 40% 3 pt shooter has a career Orating of 117 with a career 8 OWS and 1.8 DWS

It really isn't close, but I think you know that and this is why you will only talk about Jordan's stats playing with an injury that is going to shut down his season.

Jacobson was one of the most efficient players in CBB last year so if we're for more than just this season he's on there. Nixon would belong on there too just for his defensive numbers he shattered at Colorado State

• Funny
Reactions: dexterhawk

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
The Cub is now 17-3 in the last five years against the Bear in Football, Basketball, Wrestling and Women's Basketball.

I don't get the arbitrary obsession with including Wrestling and Women's basketball in this statistic. Just say 8-3 in the sports that matter lol