• I do not believe he is the right man for the job

Votes: 168 44.3%
  • I do believe he is the right man for the job

Votes: 211 55.7%

• Total voters

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I dont think he is the right man for the job, his lack of offensive basketball knowledge is pretty bad. Iowa played a 3-2 zone a lot, and how do you beat a 3-2 zone? You put your best passer at the high post and flash the baseline and get to the corners. We did this very little, I remember one specific time we did it and it was an easy bucket for Solo. But just like last year this team shouldnt be holding the ball for 25 seconds then jacking up a deep 3. We shoot like 28% from the three point line, there has to be plays drawn up that allow some easy looks. I also dont think his substitutions arent very good, last night start of the 2nd half Solo was leading this team back then they took him out of the game and he didnt come back in until it was too late. You have to feed the hot hand.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm not thinking he is anything special as a coach, and although I've defended him in the past, I am cooling on him just a bit. Not that I think we need to consider running him out of town though. I don't think we could get anyone better currently. He recruits at a high level and I do think he's a decent leader of young men. The problem seems to be x's and o's as others have alleged. We seem to get out schemed frequently. This could be alleviated by hiring a decent assistant or associate head coach with a nose for that kind of stuff.
I honestly think he can achieve similar success as coaches like Scott Drew or Bruce Weber, and those guys are all pretty qualified head basketball coaches.

Some of the motivational/personality management issues are concerning (Lard, McKay, Wigginton) but I believe it has more to do with Steve sincerely trying to help these guys out as people too, and not just ball players. And I respect him for that, even if it occasionally gets in the way of team success.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No option for 'I'm not sure what to think'.

Trends started to really form last year and last night was a reflection of that.

Right now I'm putting him in the same category as CPR except with better recruiting. Likeable and some great moments, but what's really happening with the basketball program?

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
"hot shooting" at 43.1%, yikes, imagine if Iowa DID really have a hot shooting night, yikes

well it is more about ISU shooting, Iowa hit something like 6 or 7 3's to start the game, with ISU's lack of shooting it was pretty much over at that point.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
they might accept he’s gone but they inflate his results.

No argument here; Fred had his share of clunkers. Still, people who look back with nostalgia aren't all wrong...one need look no further than losses in Hilton to find a big step backward.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Has anyone here ever been to or seen one of Prohm's practices? I would like to see what they work on before the season starts and during the season.

This would be interesting. A friend of mine who played for Johnny told me Orr was rarely at practice. He said Orr was the game coach. Johnny relied heavily on his assistants for drilling the Xs and Os.
Does CSP need to make a significant change with his staff?

• Informative
Reactions: Dingus

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I’m with CSP. Last night was the valley of this assembled team. Poor shooting and lack of defensive production vs hot shooting, experienced team. We will run into this game again this year. We likely will hit high marks (Seton Hall) where it clicks. Unfortunately the grind of the big 12 likely means more nights like last night. But I like the athletes and length coming in next year.

One big hope is for Grill/Griffin/Lewis to establish some sort of release valve offensively. Someone has to make that corner 3 or drive and attack the rim. Feels like we are playing 4 on 5, no need to seriously guard when production with them is so limited. Makes TH and RB job to create that more difficult.
Lewis deserves more minutes after yesterday.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
He’s a great coach but losing multiple guys early at Iowa State is harder than it is at Duke or Kentucky. It takes us a little while to recover and find our groove. Did everyone forget the success we’ve had?? He will get us on track and we will make the tournament.

This

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Here is another question that I’d like to see.

Would you rather have a less talented team that plays hard and executed well. This team can beat anybody in the country on the right night. The other option would be a super talented team with poor execution and just can be flat.

I think that’s a lot of the difference between the earlier Fred teams and the last few Prohm teams. I can say I definitely would prefer the first option. At least in that option you can be optimistic about a run it’s exciting and you have the potential to build on it if you get better recruits. With the later or right now we seem kind of stuck in this purgatory of decent but not great basketball. It isn’t really bad enough to make the change but it isn’t good enough to build on.

I was there for the first Johnny Orr years and I can tell you it is much more fun to root for and watch a team of underdogs win than it is to watch a bunch of more talented players half ass their way through the season playing hero ball to impress the NBA scouts.

Prohm seems like a great guy and his recruiting has been good. I do wonder if he is a "my way or the highway" type of coach. He seems to have problems with players who might not share, as young adults, the moral standards that he espouses. I'm not sure he could have gotten along with a DeAndre Kane or a Bryce Dejean-Jones. Lard was one he obviously could not get along with. That may have been Lard's fault, but it may have been that Lard just couldn't live according to Prohm's rules.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I need a third option. I support him, but I'm seeing issues

This is where I have been for 2+ years. Those issues were there even when the team was winning; the sum of the parts seemed greater than the whole, and there were inexplicable performances at times.

Last night I gave up. He apparently isn't going to get it, at least not here.

• Agree
Reactions: Dingus

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
well it is more about ISU shooting, Iowa hit something like 6 or 7 3's to start the game, with ISU's lack of shooting it was pretty much over at that point.

I get what you're saying, but Iowa only made 4 3's in the first half (all in the first 4 min). Iowa's defense owned the first half.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Lewis deserves more minutes after yesterday.
I agree on Lewis. Only thing he did yesterday that pissed me off was shoot a 3 that looked good as he released it, and juuust rimmed out. Had he followed his shot, he would've had an easy put back. But he was already 3/4 of the way back down the court thinking it had gone in...

All in all though, he was really the only highlight last night

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I get what you're saying, but Iowa only made 4 3's in the first half (all in the first 4 min). Iowa's defense owned the first half.
I guess you could say that. Honestly though, our guys helped them out by missing pretty open looks. It was part of Iowa's scheme to let us shoot them though, and shoot them they did. We didn't really MAKE Iowa play d

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Being unclear about whether he's going to be a contributing member of the team. Fans never knew where Prohm stood on Lard from game to game. Maybe Lard didn't know either, thus his frustration.

I'm willing to bet large sums of money that each and every kid on that team knows exactly where they stand with coach and the program. Same with CMC.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I support CSP, he is a very good recruiter and still developing as a game coach. As much as I hate to use this comparison - Scott Drew started out as just a recruiter and not a good coach and we see what he's done for Baylor. I view CSP in a similar fashion.

• Funny
Reactions: nickcyv

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
When was the last time that Campbell’s team wasn’t competitive in a game?

Go back to every in game post and see how much crap we spew at him for KOs, FGs, procedure penalties, throwing when we should be running, running when we should be throwing, not going for the throat going into half, giving up points going into half... Large amount of posts about lack of discipline which is a coaching failure they say.

Little bit of recency bias I'd say even though CMC's team under achieved this year according to some.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

ISU certainly helped that Iowa D , again choosing to shoot 3 after 3 after 3. I said this before and will say it again, I know analytics says a 15 foot jumper is a bad shot, but when you shoot the 3 ball like ISU, analytics need to be tossed out the window and play like the 3 point line does not exist