SOTU CF

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Where do you stand on Prohm?

• I do not believe he is the right man for the job

Votes: 168 44.3%
  • I do believe he is the right man for the job

Votes: 211 55.7%

• Total voters

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Now that we've all had a night to sleep on it I wanted to get a feel for where the board is at on Prohm as coach.

Let's keep it much more civil than the game thread. We already have enough to deal with from hawk coworkers, friends, and family today.

Happy thoughts. Its Friday and many of us will be in Orlando in two weeks with a chance at three straight 8 win football seasons.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Judging anything based off this season is going to be tough for me. With what we lost last year, I had no hope this season was going to be anything special, so losing last night really doesn't surprise me. That being said, I still want to see improvement as the season goes on, and if we continue to play like we did last night into February and March, my feelings might change.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I need a third option. I support him, but I'm seeing issues
Exactly where I stand.
It doesn’t seem to be a talent issue. Multiple NBA caliber players last year. Potential lottery pick on this years team.
Might be time for a little shakeup on the staff. Someone to help with game planning and in game coaching.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Anybody got time to post his ISU resume?

I hope that it's the opponent that has everyone (rightly) pissed off. I want Steve to succeed. But getting b!tch-slapped like that by Iowa...not good...

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Rooting for him, seems like a good dude, but I just keep seeing the same issues repeat themselves. But/for a few 3 day runs at the Big 12 Tournament he's been pretty marginal with maybe the best 5 year run on talent we've ever had a this school.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I am reserving judgement until the end of the season, but if we don't make the tournament (and that seems pretty unlikely) there is no debating the trajectory of the program is pointing down.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm much more concerned about what this loss means to our NCAA chances. People think the Big 12 is down, but it really isn't. The schedule this year is brutal. Ultimately as long as Prohm is putting teams in the NCAA's he's doing just fine. He starts missing it, things get dicey.

The game yesterday was brutal. I thought we either needed to shoot well, or Rasir needed to help carve up the defense by dribbling through the zone.

Rasir had his worst game he's had in the uniform and we shot terribly. We also didn't have the defensive intensity needed at the start of the game. Letting them get all of those shots off with nobody defending them was terrible. Again though, if ISU makes the tourney we aren't worried about this game. There's almost 4 months of basketball left. Let's see what happens.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Good recruiter, great guy, great ambassador for ISU. Not overly impressed with X's and O's, in game management, rotation management. Seems like we play up to or a notch below our talent level every year.

He'd be a fantastic assistant coach, but needs to improve in some key areas as a head coach.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
His recruiting has been solid/very good, but his offensive sets and plays have left a lot to be desired.

I think this is the major problem I’ve had for a long time. I feel like most every team (outside of the slappy’s we play in non-con) has some kind of identity. Under Prohm, what is/has been our identity? I can’t figure it out.

The first red flag for me came in his first season, but I didn’t pay much attention to it because it kind of made a little sense then. Anyone else remember him saying he came in and just let the team do their thing? There was so much talent, and successful talent, there he didn’t want to mess it up, so he let the players dictate what they were going to do. Again, at the time, it made some sense. He has Niang, Morris, Thomas, Nader, etc.

As the seasons have gone on though, I’m starting to wonder if that was just a perfect, baked in excuse for “I don’t know what to do.” I honestly don’t know what his teams were like at Murray, but here? No identity to speak of, at least from where I sit.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
He hasn’t been bad but he’s also never exceeded reasonable expectations here, and has failed to meet them a couple times.

I don’t see a scenario where he’s gone next year but he needs to show some considerable improvement and growth through big 12 play. This isn’t a super talented team, but there’s enough that this isn’t a rebuild year, they should be pushing for a tourney berth.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Here is another question that I’d like to see.

Would you rather have a less talented team that plays hard and executed well. This team can beat anybody in the country on the right night. The other option would be a super talented team with poor execution and just can be flat.

I think that’s a lot of the difference between the earlier Fred teams and the last few Prohm teams. I can say I definitely would prefer the first option. At least in that option you can be optimistic about a run it’s exciting and you have the potential to build on it if you get better recruits. With the later or right now we seem kind of stuck in this purgatory of decent but not great basketball. It isn’t really bad enough to make the change but it isn’t good enough to build on.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Here is another question that I’d like to see.

Would you rather have a less talented team that plays hard and executed well. This team can beat anybody in the country on the right night. The other option would be a super talented team with poor execution and just can be flat.

I think that’s a lot of the difference between the earlier Fred teams and the last few Prohm teams. I can say I definitely would prefer the first option. At least in that option you can be optimistic about a run it’s exciting and you have the potential to build on it if you get better recruits. With the later or right now we seem kind of stuck in this purgatory of decent but not great basketball. It isn’t really bad enough to make the change but it isn’t good enough to build on.
I'd rather have option one, if only for the reason that a hard, executing team is often a consistent team that doesn't get streaky or put up bad numbers for long stretches. Those are things our team does now. There's talent there, it just struggles to come together all at the same time and stay that way. Stans's column was spot-on: they can't sustain success or domination well, at all.

As for Prohm, my problem with it is less with him and more for finding a replacement for him. I probably dont look hard enough, but I don't see someone else I'd love to have right now. We'd more likely be taking a flyer on someone with a similar or even worse resume than Prohm compiled at Murray State.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
I need a third option. I support him, but I'm seeing issues

Exactly where I stand.
It doesn’t seem to be a talent issue. Multiple NBA caliber players last year. Potential lottery pick on this years team.
Might be time for a little shakeup on the staff. Someone to help with game planning and in game coaching.

I would pick the 3rd option too

Recruiting is good on paper, but the roster hasn't been constructed to build a team.
This year we have
Hali who is great but he should be valued support player on a great team
3 serviceable centers, but should only be playing 1 at a time,
2 smallish non shooting wings getting heavy minutes
2 "good" recruits who can't stay on the floor (development issue or miss)
Grill and Jackson seem okay as young rotation/spot minute players

• Agree
Reactions: nickcyv and JBone84

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Judging anything based off this season is going to be tough for me. With what we lost last year, I had no hope this season was going to be anything special, so losing last night really doesn't surprise me. That being said, I still want to see improvement as the season goes on, and if we continue to play like we did last night into February and March, my feelings might change.

When you recruit guys that are 1 or 2 year guys you have to be prepared for that possibility. He didn't prepare well enough.