• I do believe he is the right man for the job

Votes: 211 55.7%

• Total voters

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
When was the last time that Campbell’s team wasn’t competitive in a game?

A couple weeks ago against KSU, that bunch was not competitive, they were a bunch of marshmallow's. They looked cold and disinterested. That thing was over when those winds started hitting ISU in the face when they left the locker room.

They were fortunate KSU did not have a high powered offense.

Drake they won, because it was Drake, but they were not competitive.

It happens.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm not thinking he is anything special as a coach, and although I've defended him in the past, I am cooling on him just a bit. Not that I think we need to consider running him out of town though. I don't think we could get anyone better currently. He recruits at a high level and I do think he's a decent leader of young men. The problem seems to be x's and o's as others have alleged. We seem to get out schemed frequently. This could be alleviated by hiring a decent assistant or associate head coach with a nose for that kind of stuff.
I honestly think he can achieve similar success as coaches like Scott Drew or Bruce Weber, and those guys are all pretty qualified head basketball coaches.

Some of the motivational/personality management issues are concerning (Lard, McKay, Wigginton) but I believe it has more to do with Steve sincerely trying to help these guys out as people too, and not just ball players. And I respect him for that, even if it occasionally gets in the way of team success.

I really appreciated this post. Reasonable, balanced, honest without being extreme, able to point out the successes along with the growth opportunities. So what the **** is wrong with you?????

• Funny
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
My thoughts are that there are better coaches out there. I just don't know that we could get any of those coaches. HOT TAKE

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFan4

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I guess you could say that. Honestly though, our guys helped them out by missing pretty open looks. It was part of Iowa's scheme to let us shoot them though, and shoot them they did. We didn't really MAKE Iowa play d

That's my concern, as an offense, we don't pressure the defense very well. Makes us very easy to defend.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
we are our own worst enemy in this case...our fan base is supportive and tolerant. We'll continue to put butts in seats despite having an under performing product and that will delay any decision by Pollard to make a change. $ matters and I see this correction taking a while unless Prohm can surprise many of us and show some things we haven't seen.

I'll keep watching and cheering for the guys. I hope they find a groove and prove me wrong.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The inconsistency in his teams' performances takes years off my life. We'll drop some game at home we should never lose in a million years, and then with our backs against the wall we'll go on the road and beat a conference title contender. We feel like we're back on track and then we sleepwalk again. We show toughness at times and wilt at others.

People complain about stubbornness with rotations and starters and I'm coming around to that critique myself. I always felt like the way he handled Lard was just so...weird. All the talk of "habits," never declaring whether he was suspended or not, not playing him when he wasn't suspended. I'm sure Lard was mostly at fault, but if Prohm was sending the same mixed signals to Lard that he sent to the public I can see why Lard would get frustrated. And if that happens to one player, it's not hard to imagine it happening to more.

What isn't helpful is for this to devolve into a pile-on, which I'm in danger of doing myself. So I'll shut up now.

Do you actually understand how damaging telling the fans what he told cam would be for any other relationship he has with his players?

holy **** that’s bad.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
My thoughts are that there are better coaches out there. I just don't know that we could get any of those coaches. HOT TAKE

Also the baggage that comes with them, LSU, Auburn, Arizona,try to get guys from those programs fans willing to make a deal with devil? (Rhetorical no need to answer)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
During ISU's stronger eras did it become normalized to see ISU get beat at home?

Again, not the point I was responding too.

in most strong eras of Iowa state basketbsll the teams wouldn’t win at the conference champions (TCU and k state) either.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Maybe I am overreacting, but this team may miss the NIT. Gonna be 8-5 in non-con. Need to be 8-10 in conference to be over .500 overall. I am not confident they can get there.

With the lack of non conference wins, this team will have win 9-10 big 12 games, go 1-1 against KU and Baylor, plus, at least 1 win in KC to sniff the tourney. The league is down so it's not crazy but we've go to be much better than we have been to this point.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
awful analogy...campbell started with zero. Prohm started with NBA guys. Football and BB can't be compared...especially within the confines of ISU history. Finally, people aren't simply talking about the Iowa game...it's the entire body of work.

So you were absolutely sure Nader was an nba player? Burton? Hell Matt Thomas was called a recruiting miss after his sophomore year.

I get this is the group think of the crewe, and there are real valid criticisms of his coaching strategy and stubbornness to change.

But this silly attempt to revise truth doesn’t make your case at all. In fact, it does just the opposite.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: nickcyv and Die4Cy

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Go back to every in game post and see how much crap we spew at him for KOs, FGs, procedure penalties, throwing when we should be running, running when we should be throwing, not going for the throat going into half, giving up points going into half... Large amount of posts about lack of discipline which is a coaching failure they say.

Little bit of recency bias I'd say even though CMC's team under achieved this year according to some.

I think a person can be critical of in-game decision making of both CMC and CSP. However, there are way too many head-scratching non-competitive home losses. Something that CMC had not done.

I remember when this board freaked out in 2016 about a home loss to a ranked Baylor and West Virginia teams. They loss by five in each of those games.

In 2017 they loss to Cincy, KU and West Virginia at home. Those were all Top 25 squads but we loss by double-digits to West Virginia which hadn't happened in years.

In 2018 you had three home losses by double-digits (7 overall)...Kansas State, Milwaukee and Tennessee.

In 2019 you had four losses at home (Kansas State, Baylor, Texas Tech and then the TCU debacle where they led by 75-56 with 6:00 to go in the second half). That TCU squad managed to get to the Final Four of the NIT.

And then this beauty from last night where we lose to a bubble team on home floor. A game in which they spent all but 4 and 1/2 minutes with a double digit lead. 35 1/2 minutes of the game Iowa led by double-digits in Hilton. When the coach says we weren't ready in that situation the response should be "No **** Sherlock"

Its unacceptable and if it continues the students will be the first to leave and then the balcony seats will become sparse. There is no alternative to CSP at this point. He just needs to get better because JP isn't making any changes until 2023 at the soonest.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
well it is more about ISU shooting, Iowa hit something like 6 or 7 3's to start the game, with ISU's lack of shooting it was pretty much over at that point.
Iowa had a great game plan. Come out firing, be aggressive and try to get ahead. We can't score enough to make large come backs.

• Agree
Reactions: fsanford

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
so you dont like campbell either b/c he's 0-4
Losing to Kirk is a lot different than losing to Fran. One is an actual good head coach, and the other one is a meme due to his temper tantrums in games. I'm not sure why people are being so intentionally obtuse about this(well, I do know, but that's not related to the point.) The only thing Kirk and Fran have in common is that they both coach sports at Iowa. It's like if people were trying to compare Fred to Paul Rhoads.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Do you actually understand how damaging telling the fans what he told cam would be for any other relationship he has with his players?

holy **** that’s bad.

I'm not sure whether you're really this dumb or you're just intentionally distorting what I'm saying in your frantic effort to stamp out any criticism of our program. Either way, I'll elaborate.

No, of course I'm not suggesting Prohm share publicly everything he says in private. I agree, that doesn't serve anyone and besides, there's no need - we all knew the source of Lard's issues anyway.

But how many games did we ask ourselves whether Lard was still in the doghouse? Whether he would play at all, much less how many minutes? Is he suspended or not? Once Lard got off his early suspension, it remained a theme throughout the rest of the season, and Prohm's vagueness about it all only fed the issue.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and nickcyv

Sirkruser

May 19, 2019
Indianola
The last thing I want is getting in the habit to have a coach for 5 years and then get rid of em. We should give Prohm more time.