*** Official #16 Seton Hall vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Losing Mamu changed the entire trajectory of the game. Does ISU win if he doesn't get hurt <5 min in to the game? Can't answer that questions one way or the other, but it certainly did hurt Seton Hall. But, stuff happens and you need to be able to respond. SH gave it their best go without him

I do think the whistles favored us a tad, not going to lie. The particular instance I can think of is Nixon getting fouled on a 3 by Powell who basically grazed his jersey. Happened at a pivotal moment with momentum getting away from SH. Hopefully we get those calls Thursday, but I won't be waiting with baited breath. Iowa is going to be allowed to hack and maim with guys like Pemsl, Evelyn, and Kriener. They did it the other night vs Michigan I noticed. Fran bringing in those guys only to foul, since Michigan was out-talenting them so bad. He'd sub Wieskamp, Garza, and Bohannon back in between free throws. Thug tactics.

That foul on Powell was a bad call, especially considering how much physical play had been allowed most of the game. Another no-call on a fast break for SH where there was a ton of contact with one of our guards (maybe Haliburton, can't remember) and there was no call. There were big sequences that went SHs way and I thought were 4 bad calls/no calls - in the first half SH guy scores on a blatant travel and no call. Shortly after, Conditt scores and is called for a travel that did not exist. In the second half Powell initiates contact and plows Nixon, who seems to be in legal guarding position, but it is called a block. Shortly after on the PnR Young gets called for a charge and the SH defender is clearly sliding to draw the contact and get there way late. I get that block charge calls in real time are tough.

Strange game - they were really letting physical play go early on, and I'd say pretty evenly. It seemed in the second half the officials were trying to reign it in a bit, so they started calling things much closer. It also seemed like they would miss a foul, knew it, and the next time down the court would call a cheapo.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Conditt is becoming a force. Love his potential. Love that he is delivering results. Our Bigs are playing well enough.

Tremendous. Huge. Really top of the line. Just beautiful. Everybody loves him.

Believe me.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
That foul on Powell was a bad call, especially considering how much physical play had been allowed most of the game. Another no-call on a fast break for SH where there was a ton of contact with one of our guards (maybe Haliburton, can't remember) and there was no call. There were big sequences that went SHs way and I thought were 4 bad calls/no calls - in the first half SH guy scores on a blatant travel and no call. Shortly after, Conditt scores and is called for a travel that did not exist. In the second half Powell initiates contact and plows Nixon, who seems to be in legal guarding position, but it is called a block. Shortly after on the PnR Young gets called for a charge and the SH defender is clearly sliding to draw the contact and get there way late. I get that block charge calls in real time are tough.

Strange game - they were really letting physical play go early on, and I'd say pretty evenly. It seemed in the second half the officials were trying to reign it in a bit, so they started calling things much closer. It also seemed like they would miss a foul, knew it, and the next time down the court would call a cheapo.
Thought the refs were super inconsistent both ways, there was one call that went Seton Hall's way that frustrated me. It was that in bounds play with 3 seconds on the shot clock. Powell pushed Nixon in the back right into a screen and then he gets a wide open 3 from it and knocks it down. Even the announcers commented on that, should've been an offensive foul.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They are just trying to buy minutes with Solomon one whistle past the first tv timeout.

Agree. Would rather see Conditt in the game five minutes before half rather than having him on the bench with two fouls during that critical game time. And, as others have pointed out, he kinda goes full bore and looks gassed at times.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Thought the refs were super inconsistent both ways, there was one call that went Seton Hall's way that frustrated me. It was that in bounds play with 3 seconds on the shot clock. Powell pushed Nixon in the back right into a screen and then he gets a wide open 3 from it and knocks it down. Even the announcers commented on that, should've been an offensive foul.
That definitely was a foul, and should have been called. But those type of missed calls of pushing among a cluster of people happen all the time in the course of a game. What annoyed me was Tthe inconsistency of what is a block, what is a charge, and what is legal guarding position. That has to be better because those are things that you can control how you will call them.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
That was fun, but we essentially have nine versions of that in the Big 12 -- all the more reason a ten-team double round-robin is the absolute best format.

I could see my way through to doing something like that with a neat opponent (e.g., a regional non-con rival like a Big Ten West team or Missouri) where both fan bases could maybe travel to each other, but you run the risk of having a lame match-up twice if the two teams were not on about the same level as each other.

I would say absolutely no to a big 10 team or mizzou. Most years those programs add no value to the schedule. Also, **** all those fans.

I was thinking someone that is more of a consistent bottom tier of the top 25 program. Kind of like Iowa State, a program that is decent more than it is not makes the tournament more than they don't. Seton Hall is a perfect example of this type of program.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I would say absolutely no to a big 10 team or mizzou. Most years those programs add no value to the schedule. Also, **** all those fans.

I was thinking someone that is more of a consistent bottom tier of the top 25 program. Kind of like Iowa State, a program that is decent more than it is not makes the tournament more than they don't. Seton Hall is a perfect example of this type of program.

I would definitely take Wisconsin or Purdue. They fit your bill.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
That definitely was a foul, and should have been called. But those type of missed calls of pushing among a cluster of people happen all the time in the course of a game. What annoyed me was Tthe inconsistency of what is a block, what is a charge, and what is legal guarding position. That has to be better because those are things that you can control how you will call them.
Yeah that's fair, and with a player like Nixon I'm sure the refs are hesitant because he could flop. The inconsistency there was aggravating, those calls can be consistent but the judgement was just off.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines

Agreed. Just be consistent on both ends & both halves.

• Agree

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah that's fair, and with a player like Nixon I'm sure the refs are hesitant because he could flop. The inconsistency there was aggravating, those calls can be consistent but the judgement was just off.
Yeah, and you can usually tell pretty early on if an officiating group is going to be consistent or if they are all over the place. The one that annoyed me was Nixon playing great D, keeping his chest in front of his defender, and although he was moving one foot, was in perfect legal guarding position to take a charge. Powell lowered his shoulder and Nix Got a block called on him. Maybe 5 minutes of game time later Powell took a charge in almost the same way of having his chest squared up, was in legal guarding position, and a foot was moving (play that they checked if he was in the semi-circle) and they called it a charge. I really would have been okay with either of those being called one way or the other, but the fact that they were almost identical and both went separate ways, it's annoying. /rant

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The 'toughness' angle is interesting....saw some posts about how they hadn't seen that kind of thing since Larry.

I'd say ISU has been very tough in some of its wins over the years like last year at Tech, down in Lawrence etc.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Yeah, and you can usually tell pretty early on if an officiating group is going to be consistent or if they are all over the place. The one that annoyed me was Nixon playing great D, keeping his chest in front of his defender, and although was moving one foot was in perfect legal guarding position to take a charge. Powell lowered his shoulder and Nix Got a block called on him. Maybe 5 minutes of game time later Powell took a charge in almost the same way of having his chest squared up, was in legal guarding position, and a foot was moving (play that they checked if he was in the semi-circle) and they called it a charge. I really would have been okay with either of those being called one way or the other, but the fact that they were almost identical and both went separate ways, it's annoying. /rant
I totally agree, and I could rant on charge/block calls all day. There was a charge on Bolton in the second half that was downright comical. Hopefully we get some different refs for Thursday.

• Agree

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The 'toughness' angle is interesting....saw some posts about how they hadn't seen that kind of thing since Larry.

I'd say ISU has been very tough in some of its wins over the years like last year at Tech, down in Lawrence etc.
I think they were talking more in the sense of Toughness is the Identity, not just this team can be tough.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron