*** Official #16 Seton Hall vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I liked how the teams were playing hard and getting after it but there didn't seem to be animosity, helping each other up, etc.

Far more enjoyable than what Thursday will likely be.
Yeah Conditt and Powell helped each other up a few times. I know a guy knocked down Hali and helped him up. They seem like pretty good guys that just play hard. Will be rooting for them to win the Big East.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Our offense needs to run through Haliburton and Bolton. Nixon is option #4 after whatever big guy is in there. I really hope Jackson can start becoming a knockdown 3 point shooter.

Just another shout out to NIxon's effort last night. He is a beast on defense and is always in perfect position. There were several shots that Powell took where it was obvious he was trying to just draw a foul and Nixon was in the perfect position and Powell didn't get the calls and clanked the shot.
I’m not sure how Nixon is anything but option #5 on offense, except maybe if Griffin is in.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Nice win last night.

Felt like a conference game (B12) where the teams knew what the other would do.

Reffing was a little off but at least they called offensive fouls....that will need to happen Thursday as Iowa's players' best move is to shove and hook their way to the basket due to being coached by a thug.

I loved playing Seton Hall again, especially so soon. It was physical, but not chippy. Refs really let them bang down low and the pace of the game reflected that.

I would also like to play a home and away in the same season with a good non-con team like Seton Hall. I know that won't happen, but I think it could be cool.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The season could go anywhere, but the ingredients are there to not be sweating it out during the Big 12 Tourney for a bid. It's not a perfect roster, but Prohm did a great job having this program being more than competitive after losing 5 key contributors last year.

Haliburton - Figuring out how to be the super-star. He has a bigger load to carry than Niang or Monte, but the supporting cast is falling into place.

Bolton - Has the extra gear the team needs. Also knows how to play with Haliburton to make the team better.

Conditt - Can become that 3rd star, basically what we hoped Lard would be.

Young and Jacobsen - May not be exciting, but seem to accept their roles. On a given night, either one of them could be the x-factor the team needs.

Nixon - Best on ball defender since C Babb. It's been awhile since we've had someone that can effectively keep a 1 or 2 from getting exactly where they want to go. I think he is figuring out his role on offense.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The season could go anywhere, but the ingredients are there to not be sweating it out during the Big 12 Tourney for a bid. It's not a perfect roster, but Prohm did a great job having this program being more than competitive after losing 5 key contributors last year.

Haliburton - Figuring out how to be the super-star. He has a bigger load to carry than Niang or Monte, but the supporting cast is falling into place.

Bolton - Has the extra gear the team needs. Also knows how to play with Haliburton to make the team better.

Young and Jacobsen - May not be exciting, but seem to accept their roles. On a given night, either one of them could be the x-factor the team needs.

Nixon - Best on ball defender since C Babb. It's been awhile since we've had someone that can effectively keep a 1 or 2 from getting exactly where they want to go. I think he is figuring out his role on offense.

I agree with all of this. We need someone that is off the ball to step up and hit a decent clip from behind the arc. Was hoping that would be Bolton or Grill but neither have been very consistent.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I agree with all of this. We need someone that is off the ball to step up and hit a decent clip from behind the arc. Was hoping that would be Bolton or Grill but neither have been very consistent.
It could also be Tre Jackson.... Someone needs to step up though to take this team to the next level I think.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I think most agree that ISU is better with Conditt on the floor, but I think his total minutes don't need to change a whole lot - he's going hard every minute he's out there, and that shouldn't change. If that means he's maxed out at 22 minutes or so, so be it. One thing none of these three have had before this year is the freedom to be aggressive and not worry about fouls. Last night when ISU was struggling in the first half Jacobsen kept us afloat with some key offensive rebounds and buckets, and Solo did the same to stop a couple Seton Hall runs in the second half.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Great toughness shown by the guys in getting that win. Haliburton great as usual and huge game for Conditt off the bench. Nixon made everything for Powell tough. Should be a confidence builder and would be really great to follow it up with a win against a surprisingly good Iowa team.

• Agree
Reactions: Bubba Hubba

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Just a couple of my thoughts on the game/team:
-That was a fun game. The atmosphere was the best it's been since before last season. Although, I didn't make the KU game last year so maybe that was a good one? Anyway, the energy was fantastic last night.

-Echoing a lot of other's feelings here but man is it fun to watch a team play hard like they did. It's so easy to root for this team even with the offensive woes.

-I'm seeing a lot of "Conditt should start" on here and barring an injury to Solo or MJ I just don't think that's gonna happen. He's been great. Amazing really at times. But he's a 6'10" rim-running big that exerts a huge amount of energy on the defensive end. Even not starting he still got 19 min's last night and as someone else said "...he was grabbing his shorts a lot." Some can disagree, but seniority is a huge factor in how Prohm chooses starters. As Conditt keeps developing I bet we see some 25 minute games later in the season but Solo and MJ will start throughout.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Doc

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I think most agree that ISU is better with Conditt on the floor, but I think his total minutes don't need to change a whole lot - he's going hard every minute he's out there, and that shouldn't change. If that means he's maxed out at 22 minutes or so, so be it. One thing none of these three have had before this year is the freedom to be aggressive and not worry about fouls. Last night when ISU was struggling in the first half Jacobsen kept us afloat with some key offensive rebounds and buckets, and Solo did the same to stop a couple Seton Hall runs in the second half.

You beat me to it. My sentiments exactly on Conditt's minutes. Also, great point about the defensive freedom and not having to worry about fouling.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't know if we see Conditt in the starting line up any time soon, but I don't think we have to. I think Prohm loves the way Conditt brings that extra juice off the bench, and like Alabama and both Games vs Seton Hall, he will be in there during the most critical points/end of game. You don't have to start to get starter minutes/impact as much as a starter.

Given Prohms track record, I think this is the most likely path moving forward. That being said, Solo and Jacobson have been solid in there as well, it is just obvious there is a spark with Conditt. Solo's offense has been great, and although I know he gets ripped for his rebounding percentage, he is more often than not working to block his guy out which opens up space for another ISU player to grab it. He's just not physically imposing enough to push back players 4 inches tller than him and elevate for the board. Here and there I will be calling for Prohm to get GC in to the game earlier in the first half, but all in all I like the set up Prohm has been running with for the Bigs, and I foresee Conditt's minutes continuing to rise.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis