Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
pretty sure you're eating my portion for me. I can't get myself to like salmon. Give me a god recipe where it doesn't taste like salmon. White fish we do.

You know the real reason I eat so much salmon is that it is one of the few sea foods you can pair with red wine (pinot noir and Rhones blends and such). Been known to drink some of dat red wine. :rolleyes:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
pretty sure you're eating my portion for me. I can't get myself to like salmon. Give me a god recipe where it doesn't taste like salmon. White fish we do.
Brine it in a mix of salt and brown sugar overnight. Grill it on a cedar plank and baste generously and often with a combination of diced sun-dried tomatoes (with the oil), black pepper, and red wine vinegar. In place of the sun dried tomato thing, you can use mango salsa. They key to these is probably the brining in brown sugar overnight.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Brine it in a mix of salt and brown sugar overnight. Grill it on a cedar plank and baste generously and often with a combination of diced sun-dried tomatoes (with the oil), black pepper, and red wine vinegar. In place of the sun dried tomato thing, you can use mango salsa. They key to these is probably the brining in brown sugar overnight.
Something makes me think a brand new parent won't have the time to do this haha

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Warmed up chicken tenders oven baked fries and a beer. Oh well not every meal is perfect but it's not bad.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Do you happen to have your mom's popcorn ball recipe?
aren't they just rice crispy treats basically with popcorn instead?
The ones I remember being made had Karo syrup I thought? But I don't know you certainly could be right.
@VeloClone and @SCyclone

My sister finally got back to me with the recipe. Turns out it's from the BH&G cookbook (the ubiquitous red plaid cook book).
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c light corn syrup
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
5 qts popped corn

Butter sides of saucepan.
In it, combine sugar, water, salt, syrup and vinegar.
Cook to hard ball stage (250)
Stir in vanilla.
Slowly pour over popped corn, stirring just to mix well.
Butter hands lightly; shape balls.
Makes 15 to 20 balls.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
huh i always assumed that marshmallow was the binder on those. I'm not a big fan of them regardless haha

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Right there with you. Walleye, please. Or, even better, halibut. The only way I can tolerate salmon is with lots of dill sauce.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's been a pretty impressive run. The football team wasn't supposed to be this good but the wide receiver that became the QB has been fantastic.
He was a wide receiver? He's a big kid that throws a pretty ball. I hadn't watched much of them play before that game and when I did it was ground level around the goal line so I didn't have a good view, but his throws in that game were pretty much universally right on the money. He's also a strong runner who seems to be able to run through some contact. I was starting to wonder where he was looking to go play for college.

I texted Mrs. Velo about him during the game and she said I should let the ISU staff know about him. I texted back that we already got our Minnesota QB out of Buffalo. ;)

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
We do like both, but we prefer salmon. Our 16yr old is the only kid we can convince to eat it so far—she loves it. We just grill with a bit of lemon pepper seasoning. The key is good salmon, though.
My favorite cooking method is to cook the whole fish (head & tail can be removed). Place it on a large piece of foil that has been sprayed with Pam (or something similar). Baste inside with melted butter, then place a layer of thinly sliced onion inside followed by a layer of thinly sliced lemon, then sprinkle with brown sugar. Close the fish and wrap the sprayed foil loosely around it. You can bake the foil wrapped on a cookie sheet at 450 for a half hour or until flaky (time depends on size of fish), or you can place it on a closed grill & cook it that way (turn it every so often). We usually bake; it's easier.
Dang, it's nummy!!!
But it's better with FRESH PACIFIC salmon, which you can't get in the midwest.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Monday morning funny for @cowgirl836
76682603_10157293228855100_6267485310779654144_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.