Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I wonder if the 3 point shot will have less importance now with the longer 3 point line. The past 9-10 years, you pretty much HAD to shoot 3's to win. If percentages drop enough, the game might start moving back towards emphasizing post play and getting to the basket. I thought that might happen the last time they moved it back though, and that didn't happen, so I'm probably wrong.

I like to see us play inside-out more like we did last night, since Conditt, Jacobson and Young are all capable scorers in the post, and we are not a good shooting team.

Maybe for a little while as players adjust but it won’t take long. If you can stop the 3 ball it gives a little more leeway in the amount we need to make.

Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don’t think it’s great but that doesn’t appear to be the direction that Prohm is taking this program. It’s going to be slashing, driving, transition on offense. Length and shot blocking on the defensive side.
That’s a leap. Just last class he brought in two shooters with limited slashing, and took a risk on a big due to shooting. Prohm mentioned needing to be in the upper 30s for 3P shooting percentage, which is where we’ve been every year except 2013-14. Our top guards will likely be Haliburton, Bolton, Jackson, Grill, and Walker. All but one is a shooter.

The “It’s going to be slashing, driving, transition on offense” has been a narrative, but that’s effectively what all teams aim to do. In reality, tempo under Prohm has generally been slower than 2011-2015. We lack of shooters now, but our 3PAr is still 37%

Reactions: GTO

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I really wasn't that concerned with what he was choosing and don't know enough about Iowa basketball to know how much it mattered...but I gotta admit that I felt pretty good about their fans likely scrambling for answers after someone didn't pick the place that they think the world revolves around.

I don't know if Fran was complacent since his best recruits so far have been either legacies, his own sons or lifelong Hawk fans he didn't need to recruit that hard to get. But I agree with what you said, they did seem so confused by the whole thing.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Maybe my ears were clogged with fuzz from my hat after shoveling snow, but I thought I heard Xavier say one of the reasons he chose ISU was a connection with Tyrese. We are all assuming Tyrese leaves after this year (and I support him doing so if he is a first round pick).

However, what if Tyrese stays because he loves school, wants to potentially become a lottery pick, or want to play with Xavier? One can dream . . . .

PG: Tyrese, Jackson
SG: Bolton, Grill
3-5: Xavier, Solo, Zion, Conditt (in no particular order)

That is a solid eight man rotation!

Indy here we come! ;)

That rotation would amazing on defense and transition offense.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I am not sure on the other members of the class, but I think everyone may need to temper their expectations of Foster as a shooter (he may have the potential to be good). He shot 28% from 3, and 52% from the FT line last year in high school. Sometimes high school stats are not 100% accurate, but those aren't exactly the most encouraging shooting numbers if they are accurate.

I agree and I’m not expecting him to shoot lights out but as a 7 foot high school junior shooting 28% from 3? Yes please

Reactions: VeloClone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I agree and I’m not expecting him to shoot lights out but as a 7 foot high school junior shooting 28% from 3? Yes please

Plus he's got a nice looking shot. He doesn't need to be a marksman at ISU, just needs to shoot well enough to keep teams honest.

cjclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 22, 2006
I wonder if the 3 point shot will have less importance now with the longer 3 point line. The past 9-10 years, you pretty much HAD to shoot 3's to win. If percentages drop enough, the game might start moving back towards emphasizing post play and getting to the basket. I thought that might happen the last time they moved it back though, and that didn't happen, so I'm probably wrong.

CIMD is the stat man and he said the shooting percentage doesn't change that much out to 24 feet.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
Maybe my ears were clogged with fuzz from my hat after shoveling snow, but I thought I heard Xavier say one of the reasons he chose ISU was a connection with Tyrese. We are all assuming Tyrese leaves after this year (and I support him doing so if he is a first round pick).

However, what if Tyrese stays because he loves school, wants to potentially become a lottery pick, or want to play with Xavier? One can dream . . . .

PG: Tyrese, Jackson
SG: Bolton, Grill
3-5: Xavier, Solo, Zion, Conditt (in no particular order)

That is a solid eight man rotation!

Indy here we come! ;)
Dudley Blackwell will play right away. He has the body to play right now. By the time he gets here he will be ready

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
My coworker last night tried to say that XF will be a bust because he clearly doesn't work hard when he plays. You just have to appreciate Hok coping mechanisms.
PM me if your tired of working at McDonalds. We may have a spot for a hard worker.

• Friendly
Reactions: cdface

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron