Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm not complaining at all about the commitment, but I am surprised that with how on the fence he was even up until yesterday, that he committed this early. If I was so close on a decision, I think I would have put it off a little later to give myself more time to decide.
I agree and disagree. It is all preference to the player. It seemed like he wanted this to be over with, and although he didn't "make a decision" until yesterday, there was obviously a lot of thought going into it. If he/they felt confident that the decision he was making wasn't a whole-hearted decision I think they all would've understood and taken more time.

Could he have second thoughts before he signed the NLI? Sure. But I do think he made this decision with confidence.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
This is good stuff.

I followed the other thread pretty regularly the last few days, and my disappointment at the likelihood he was going to sign with Iowa as was being reported was apparent.

We got *played* by a couple recruiting experts who enjoyed jacking with us.

Reactions: CyBobby

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Wow, where are those guys that were absolutely convinced ISU had no chance and that he was going to Iowa for sure?

I guess if you look at how many former Cyclones are in the NBA right now it looks like he made the right choice, Better to get to a place that can develop him instead of yell at him.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
my sources were very close on this. i am very well connected within the pet store commmunity/network in ia. the manager at fins 'n things one of my VERY good friends and he said xavier was in the other day and bought his dog a gold collar. WITH a black lease. but guess what. last night just before closing. mr foster came in said the black lease sucked and swapped it for a cardinal 1.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Extremely happy with this! I've always been very confident in Prohm's ability to find guards. An elite big man prospect is the missing link to pair with the guys already on the team to push this program back into the second weekend and maybe further of the NCAA's.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sweet! If he's as good as advertised he'll have a great shot at working his way into the rotation next year. Smart decision by the young man and a nice job by Prohm of locking down a really good in-state recruit. Welcome to ISU, Xavier!

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Extremely happy with this! I've always been very confident in Prohm's ability to find guards. An elite big man prospect is the missing link to pair with the guys already on the team to push this program back into the second

My daughter teaches at Oskaloosa High School. She has had him in one of her classes. Here is, verbatim, the text she sent me a few minutes ago:

“Don’t be upset about Xavier Foster’s choice. He’s an academic nightmare, arrogant, and has next to nothing for work ethic.”

Sounds like a perfect fit for ISU.

This is not “sour grapes” from her, either. She cares nothing about sports. About a year ago I jokingly asked her to tell Foster to go to Iowa or she will flunk him. Her reply was much the same as her text.

I hope all the best for the kid, but the NBA may not be the sure thing he thinks it is.
I really do not know the academic standards for either school, but judging by the outside, it seems like ISU might help him more with that than Iowa would. Seems like Iowa would hold their players more accountable than ISU. That's just my outside observation, is there any truth to my outside view? Other than what I've observed over the years in football and basketball, it seems that Iowa holds them more accountable.

Thoughts?

Interesting. Where this type of academic superiority/arrogance comes from? If above story is true, she is not a good teacher

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Very good news. I hope fans don't expect him to come in right away and average 20 and 10, because he's not going to do that next year. He does have a very high ceiling, and could be a force in a couple years.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not complaining at all about the commitment, but I am surprised that with how on the fence he was even up until yesterday, that he committed this early. If I was so close on a decision, I think I would have put it off a little later to give myself more time to decide.
I think there were several posters who had more information including one who texted me a week ago but didn't post a peep about what he knew. Interview comments about not deciding until this weekend might be as much about keeping relationships with hawk fans in the community as anything else. Look how many people on CF were convinced that he shouldn't do anything with Iowa if he had decided. Not deciding until Sunday could still be an accurate comment even if Xavier was 95% sure it was Iowa State but he wanted take one more litmus test right before announcement day.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Taking a completely unbiased approach here.

He mentions it in one of his comments. His style of play fits what Iowa State does better than what Iowa does. It was a smart decision just based on that, in my opinion.

From the sounds of it, his Iowa "pros" list just had to be that he grew up a Hawk fan, literally everything he's mentioned as a factor screams ISU.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think there were several posters who had more information including one who texted me a week ago but didn't post a peep about what he knew. Interview comments about not deciding until this weekend might be as much about keeping relationships with hawk fans in the community as anything else. Look how many people on CF were convinced that he shouldn't do anything with Iowa if he had decided. Not deciding until Sunday could still be an accurate comment even if Xavier was 95% sure it was Iowa State but he wanted take one more litmus test right before announcement day.
As fatiguing as it is for coaches and fans, Xavier had to make a business decision at potentially the expense of disappointing many people he’s close with. Tough spot for an 18 year old.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Growing up an Iowa State fan in a Cyclone family, that one pro would be tough to let go.

Agree 100%, I think he knew that ISU was his best choice but his Hawk fandom was always in the back of his mind pulling him back to IC. I wouldn't have blamed him one bit if he had gone with the team he grew up cheering for but I'm pumped he made the right choice.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agree 100%, I think he knew that ISU was his best choice but his Hawk fandom was always in the back of his mind pulling him back to IC. I wouldn't have blamed him one bit if he had gone with the team he grew up cheering for but I'm pumped he made the right choice.
I have a feeling that Harrison Barnes would have loved to be a Cyclone having grown up in Ames around the teams, his mom working at Iowa State and most of all his dad being a Cyclone legend. Be that as it may, it would have been very costly for him to follow his heart rather than his head at the time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron