Luke Anderson and Marcedus Leech have entered the transfer portal

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Great players. Sure miss 'em. Fred never missed on freshmen.
Fred also never had a bad season because of his misses. That’s his point.

Of course every staff has misses. Every staff has hits, too, so there’s not a lot of value in listing them.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree with this. Fred missed on a lot of freshmen too and that was frustrating as well.

The difference between him and Prohm is Fred's staff was bringing in very high level transfers and the results bore it. Prohm and staff are bring in Hans f***ing Brase types (please don't make me list all of the bad transfers he's had)
Shayok and Jacobson were great transfers. Bolton was sought after and we'll see how Nixon ends up being.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I agree with this. Fred missed on a lot of freshmen too and that was frustrating as well.

The difference between him and Prohm is Fred's staff was bringing in very high level transfers and the results bore it. Prohm and staff are bring in Hans f***ing Brase types (please don't make me list all of the bad transfers he's had)
If you are bringing up Hans Brase, then you also have to mention his transfer hits. Marial Shayok, and potentially Nixon and Bolton as well.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I am getting real sick of the negative nancies on here making every thread into a "Prohm sucks" one. You people would have shot yourselves in the McD era.

That being said, remember these guys?

Calvin Godfrey
Jordan Railey
Percy Gibson
Tavon Sledge
Nkereuwem Okoro
Sherron Dorsey-Walker
Georgios Tsalmpouris

Great players. Sure miss 'em. Fred never missed on freshmen.
Fred hit about .250 on high school players. Prohm is about .500.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If you are bringing up Hans Brase, then you also have to mention his transfer hits. Marial Shayok, and potentially Nixon and Bolton as well.
Mike Jacobson has faired nicely so far as well.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Huh. Well, so it goes. Good luck to both of them. Nothing to do now but wait and hope for some good recruiting news to come on the heels of this bad news.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Prohm transfers always suck.

usatsi_12132733.jpg

Iowa-St-Kansas-Basket-560x840.jpg

There are four good ones right there.

Jacobson and Shayok yes.

Jackson was a juco and Babb was a Fred guy.

That's two transfers against a much larger list of guys that not only didn't work out, but were monumentally horrible misses not even close to P5 level.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Ah, jsb. The predictably angry anti-anti response.

These two transfers aren't disasters. They do point to this staff's ineffectiveness at scouting P5 talent (of which I was blasted for saying last week).

Let's see all the posts you made when these guys were being recruited about how they weren't P5 players. Also, let's see the posts where you gave other options for P5 players they should've recruited instead. Otherwise, shut the **** up about the I told you so bull ****. You're just another anonymous opinionated *******.

Reactions: Acylum

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
jacobson and shayok. And probably Bolton are plenty good.

fred brought in some bad transfers too...the tiny kid from Nebraska and Edozie come to mind.

And when Uncle Freddie was doing this at the start no one else was really chasing or handing out 2nd chances to kids in P5, some given the boot at their previous school. Graduate transfer were just getting fired up. He was given a lot of crap about it until it came together some and worked out for ISU. Now EVERYONE, including the blue bloods, is doing it. It isn't even remotely the same recruiting field that it was in the area of transfers.

Last edited:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, putting Wigginton on that list was interesting.

Putting a roster together is messy and missing badly happens. For example, Fred ****** up badly with KJ Buford and even Edozie, ultimately costing us Armardi. But as long as you have 6 or 7 good Big 12 players, it’s largely good enough. That didn’t happen in 2017-18, as we paid for misses. Hopefully that’s not the case this year, and we can afford to have two misses in this past class. A big part of that rests on Nixon being worthy of a two for one imo.

This recruiting class is extremely important for continuity. I expect that was an aspect of what occurred today although the decisions were player driven not coach driven.

If people are expecting Shayok 2.0 with Nixon they are going to be extremely disappointed. It would be best for this team if Nixon is be playing 15-23 minutes. Good ball handler, good defender, and spark off the bench. If Nixon is shooting 10-11 times a game then we are going to have trouble maxing out. I’m not sure if that makes him worthy of a 2 for 1 but I’m confident that is the best path for success with this roster.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Darrell Bowie served his role too. May have not been the smoothest year long contributor, but definitely not a bust.
Bowie ended up helping us throughout the year and came up extremely big in the Big 12 Tournament that year. He was not anything to rant and rave about, but he was definitely not a bust you are correct.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Shayok and Bolton are a long ways from Brase and Beverly.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Jacobson and Shayok yes.

Jackson was a juco and Babb was a Fred guy.

That's two transfers against a much larger list of guys that not only didn't work out, but were monumentally horrible misses not even close to P5 level.

JUCO guys count. If Fred can count Hogue, then Prohm can count DJax.

NWB never played for Fred but played four years under Prohm. Plus, Nick was not stupid. I am sure he knew Fred leaving was a high possibility if not a certainty when he committed. He came to play for Iowa State, but Prohm was his coach.

You are right on Brase and Beverly and a few others (e.g., Ray Kasongo, what a strange tale that was), but Prohm has plenty of successes with transfers, too.

This is before we even have to consider Bolton and Nixon for this season.

• Creative
Reactions: FinalFourCy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think the prevalence of transfers has complicated recruiting in all aspects, including recruiting freshmen. Not saying transfers are bad, just saying that it (along with the one and dones) makes putting a roster together quite difficult.
Also, the transfer landscape has changed completely since Fred revolutionized it. Fred wasn't competing with Kansas and Kentucky to get the top tier transfers.

Help Support Us

Become a patron