Twitter hates me. The Des Moines Register fired me. Here’s what really happened.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
dont give this loser clicks.

i dont need to hear his sob story.

Its a good article honestly. The kid was doing his job and at the direction of his editors, and he was vilified for doing so. The higher-ups at the Register deserves the blame on what happened, not one of its (former) entry-level employees.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Didn’t he already write this?

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This guy and the DMR literally just don't get what the blow back is from, why it happened, the circumstances surrounding it, etc. Plus, they are still making bad faith arguments:

"It’s clear to me now, though, that he was worried about personal blowback. As is common in the world of celebrity PR, he moved to get ahead of the details that would be revealed in the profile."

He doesn't know that and can't know that.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Here's my hangup, and I don't know if it's the author's fault, or the DMR. If the bringing up of King's past tweets wasn't intended to hurt him, then why were they included in the profile at all? What purpose did it serve to publish them if it wasn't to hurt him? I get that running a background check is standard practice. But publishing those tweets wasn't just following procedure. The author thought it was newsworthy and the editor let it be published. I've never heard a satisfactory answer as to why they did that.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Here's my hangup, and I don't know if it's the author's fault, or the DMR. If the bringing up of King's past tweets wasn't intended to hurt him, then why were they included in the profile at all? What purpose did it serve to publish them if it wasn't to hurt him? I get that running a background check is standard practice. But publishing those tweets wasn't just following procedure. The author thought it was newsworthy and the editor let it be published. I've never heard a satisfactory answer as to why they did that.
Even with the Register's own explanation of the timeline, had they worded the article just slightly different they would have escaped all this ire.

Carson King gave them an 'out' to not be the ones to break the news, because he beat them to the punch. But for some reason, they wanted to take credit for it.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Calvin seems to be indicating here that the dealings of the tweets were not orchestrated by himself, but that's assuming his story didn't change to look better. He's placing all of the discovery, probing and publishing blame on the editorial staff, and that he was just following instructions and didn't personally agree with it.

I guess it's up to you to decide if you think that's an honest statement or not.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I think it makes him more likeable, honestly, because it helps me relate to him. I said some things when I was younger out of ignorance and stupidity that I would never say now but I learned they were wrong the same as this kid. By him saying I shouldn't have said that and that is not me it shows how people can grow and learn. Now, they didn't have to include them, that's true but it is a total editorial decision on whether they think it adds anything to the story.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Its a good article honestly. The kid was doing his job and at the direction of his editors, and he was vilified for doing so. The higher-ups at the Register deserves the blame on what happened, not one of its (former) entry-level employees.
He was sniveling a bit at the end.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Good piece by this guy.

This guy got railroaded for doing his job and by a bunch of people who freaked out without ever reading the original article in the first place. Many of whom had an axe to grind because they've hated the register for some time because it doesn't fit their political worldview so this was a chance to pop off.

The freakout over this was far, far worse than anything Calvin ever did.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron