Survivor: Island of the Idols

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Choosing to sit Noura was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

Oh my god that was gold. Maybe if she hadn't given the worst pitch on the history of the planet.

If I were here I would have come back to camp and simply said "Hey guys I didn't get an idol (you can search my bag if you want), but I did get a tidbit of information about the challenge." It involves being blindfolded and relying on communication." Then when they get to the challenge, her tribe-mates will see that she's right and she'll have earned some social capital then she could say "hey guys I'd really like to be the caller and want to prove to the tribe I'm a winner. Please give me this chance". Worst case scenario they'd pick someone else but she'd probably still be in the challenge.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Noura is one of those people cast because she is a character. Like her or hate her. I think she is accidently funny. Like not trying to be funny. She just don't get it and that makes it funny. She could go a long way because they know she is not a real smart player or might get voted off next.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
All Noura had to say was that she had info and the challenge and she got to practice it on Island of the Idols and I think they probably would have let her be the caller

I would have just told the real story. Except I would have said that I failed so me and two others lost our right to vote and it was a blind draw, unless I am the caller. If I am the caller during the event nobody loses their vote.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Does Noura losing her vote end up being a non issue since they didnt go to tribal or does it carry over to the next tribal she attends?

I believe it's a non issue but, I could be wrong

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Does Noura losing her vote end up being a non issue since they didnt go to tribal or does it carry over to the next tribal she attends?

I think its next tribal she attends. They are going to mix the tribes up next week which will make things interesting too.

Agree, them choosing her to sit out then winning without her was hilarious. She did not have a very good plan trying to persuade them and had they lost Rob and Sandra probably would have had a good laugh at tribal. It's funny how almost everyone who has visited them so far had botched things up.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you are Dean you have to be worried that your time is about up. That is 2 tribals in a row now he's been left completely out of the loop on who the vote was going to and this time it was even with a new tribe who made it a point to call him out for his poor social game. I keep saying there is value to keeping Karishma around for awhile because she is not going to win and she is going to be a loyal vote in an alliance because she knows she could be voted out any time now. She may hurt you in challenges but if you can survive and bring her to a merge you have a voting block to advance your game further after the merge.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
What is the point of Rob and Sandra being behind the scenes at tribal? Will they play some part down the line?

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
1. The fact that they haven't upped the prized from $1m to $1.5m or $2m is crazy to me. Maybe they make more off of appearances/fame now, but I would think the show would get some better pub with a bigger prize. Maybe and All-Star Season with a bigger number to start?

2. I was 100%thinking the Aaron was going to vote out Elaine, until I thought what he would be treated like by everyone (crappy tribe - hate him for back stabbing when he didn't have to & good tribe - he's their goat/pawn). After than I was still about 60/40 that he was going to vote for her. Solid edit by the CBS and a great episode.

Still love this show after years.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Watched the episode last night and the tribal council was great. I was ready to hate Aaron if he flipped and voted for Elaine. You can be on an alliance of 4 with the other being reduced to 3 now or you can flip and be on the bottom end of a 5 person alliance. All these things matter right now pre-merge because you want to be on the right side of a numbers alliance and by voting out one of your own not only do you weaken your own position but you are not labeled a flipper and those people usually aren't trusted post merge. In the end he made a good choice and hard to tell with the edits if he was ever serious about voting out Elaine or not. It's not like his 3 tribe members are people you wouldn't like if you were aligned with them.

Speaking of Elaine she is becoming one of my favorite players right now but I have a feeling she eventually gets voted out because she is just too likable and would be tough to sit next to at final tribal. I loved the reactions when she revealed her advantage. The other 4 did look like someone just died and their mood changed from confident and somewhat cocky to panicked. That's what I love about this show, just when someone thinks they are in a good spot someone throws a wrench into even the best laid plans and humbles them. I was glad it was Jason going home, he's been way too confident so far and his reaction when he found out he lost his vote was almost talking like an entitled spoiled brat that just had his daddy's sports car taken away from him. On the fence about Tommy a little too as his personality is a little like Jason's too.

Saw a new side of Jamal last night that I liked but he's still someone I am not a big fan of overall with how he talks down to certain players and acts like he is in control. As for the 2 people many don't like in Karishma and Noura, I actually kind of find myself rooting for them as underdogs when people knock on them. Physically Karishma is basically worthless in challenges but I do see signs she is trying to find some cracks in the social game to open up and have some value. Noura is just quirky but I think she can be an asset physically in challenges and she knows she is on the outs so she's a loyal vote if someone wants to align up with her.

Every season I find myself shaking my head at some of the dumb moves or personal grudges people on the show talk about making early. People just don't seem to value alliance numbers as much as they do some season and are more worried about making big moves right away to build a resume. I think the biggest resume building moves come once you make the merge so your gameplay should be 2 stages: 1) get in a strong alliance to put you in the best spot to make the merge and 2) re-assess your alliance options once you make the merge and align with people that you can trust but also leave some low hanging fruit within it that will be loyal to vote with you but play weak enough games not to be a threat to winning if they make it to the end. In the big picture of things you are only going to be working with these people for a max of 39 days which is basically a month and a half if you can make it to the end. No one is saying you have to make lifelong friends with any of these people but think of the most annoying person you know and imagine if someone told you if you had a chance to win $1 million dollars would it be worth it to tolerate living with them for 39 days? I'm a pretty patient and tolerant person so I'd say hell yes where do I sign up?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
1. The fact that they haven't upped the prized from $1m to $1.5m or $2m is crazy to me. Maybe they make more off of appearances/fame now, but I would think the show would get some better pub with a bigger prize. Maybe and All-Star Season with a bigger number to start?

2. I was 100%thinking the Aaron was going to vote out Elaine, until I thought what he would be treated like by everyone (crappy tribe - hate him for back stabbing when he didn't have to & good tribe - he's their goat/pawn). After than I was still about 60/40 that he was going to vote for her. Solid edit by the CBS and a great episode.

Still love this show after years.

They have no reason to do it. Two million dollars is not going to make anymore people watch. I don't watch to see who wins a million dollars. I watch to see who wins and what they did to get to the end. I could honestly care less if they made the winner get a half million.

The one thing I hate about some of this stuff is losing by chance. Like you can play a great game but someone else wins a prize and you had no idea so you have to go home. That is annoying. It's not like she went out and found an idol that everyone else could have found. She was basically gifted a prize for getting something that she was told was there. Jason, while I was not a fan, did nothing wrong. How great would the drama had been had it gone to drawing rocks.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They have no reason to do it. Two million dollars is not going to make anymore people watch. I don't watch to see who wins a million dollars. I watch to see who wins and what they did to get to the end. I could honestly care less if they made the winner get a half million.

The one thing I hate about some of this stuff is losing by chance. Like you can play a great game but someone else wins a prize and you had no idea so you have to go home. That is annoying. It's not like she went out and found an idol that everyone else could have found. She was basically gifted a prize for getting something that she was told was there. Jason, while I was not a fan, did nothing wrong. How great would the drama had been had it gone to drawing rocks.

I take it you are not a fan of this epic moment in Survivor history then?

I get it but it's also part of the game. It wasn't all chance that Jason got voted out either, 4 people still wrote his name on a ballot meaning they all felt the other 3 he was aligned with were not as much of a threat to them going forward as he was. If there were no hidden idols or advantages I don't think the show would still be going. It's whole purpose is to entertain us and draw ratings and advertising revenue not to give a million dollars to a person. The show obviously has been popular and profitable else it would not be going on its 40th season next year.

I've also said in the past sometimes the best players never win either because the weaker players were able to team up and take them out of the game before they could make it to the final tribal. It's just part of the game and they know that going into it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron