Doyle cost Epenesa millions

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I didn't watch the entire game but from what I saw he played pretty well.
agreed. He's gonna have to keep that up to remove the stigma from the first 5 games.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
agreed. He's gonna have to keep that up to remove the stigma from the first 5 games.

It appears he figured out a way to improve his sack numbers. Poke the QB in his left eye so he can’t see you coming as well and it will help him out. It’s called the Woody technique.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I didn't watch the entire game but from what I saw he played pretty well.

Meh.... 3 solo tackles and assisted on 4 others. Far from being a standout, IMO. Kid is unbelievably strong, but not really quick and doesn't seem to have great vision. Looks to me like he will push into the backfield like a bull but then realize the ball went by him or in another direction. Not sure if it's coaching or just doing the best he can. He looks like a guy that could be a true disruptor, but for some reason it's just not happening for him. And I don't hear his name mentioned on any college football shows, especially considering that he is eligible for the NFL draft in 6 months. Anyway, I don't claim to be an expert but we have a lot of Hawk fans in the extended family and we do watch all their games and this is what I have taken away.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Meh.... 3 solo tackles and assisted on 4 others. Far from being a standout, IMO. Kid is unbelievably strong, but not really quick and doesn't seem to have great vision. Looks to me like he will push into the backfield like a bull but then realize the ball went by him or in another direction. Not sure if it's coaching or just doing the best he can. He looks like a guy that could be a true disruptor, but for some reason it's just not happening for him. And I don't hear his name mentioned on any college football shows, especially considering that he is eligible for the NFL draft in 6 months. Anyway, I don't claim to be an expert but we have a lot of Hawk fans in the extended family and we do watch all their games and this is what I have taken away.

Being in CBus all I hear about is the predator so I like to focus on him when I watch tOSU games and he’s 10X better than Epenesa. All over, up and down the line, getting to the QB, even dropping in to coverage or tracking down receivers from behind. Epenesa just pushes his guy or speeds him around the edge there’s not much nuance to his game and he’s easy to scout.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

He is pretty fast. Rewatch the ISU game and you will see he is the guy that makes a probable TD saving tackle on Kene 12 yards down field. Not sure what his problem is, but it sure isn't not being athletic.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
A sack, a TFL, and 3 qb hurries in addition to what you listed. That’s far from meh.

• Winner
Reactions: iahawks

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I watched the entire Iowa game and honestly it was sort of annoying how much the announcers kept trying to ram it down the viewers throats that AJ has been "getting double teamed all year." I specifically watched him on almost every play and I'm here to tell you, he BARELY got double team or chipped. I was honestly quite surprised. He has struggled so much this year and I thought the "he's a specialty player" was just a troll by ISU fans. But I honestly think he can't handle being an every down type of player. I imagine scouts are seeing this and I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall out of the first round honestly

• Friendly
Reactions: tolstoy

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I watched the entire Iowa game and honestly it was sort of annoying how much the announcers kept trying to ram it down the viewers throats that AJ has been "getting double teamed all year." I specifically watched him on almost every play and I'm here to tell you, he BARELY got double team or chipped. I was honestly quite surprised. He has struggled so much this year and I thought the "he's a specialty player" was just a troll by ISU fans. But I honestly think he can't handle being an every down type of player. I imagine scouts are seeing this and I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall out of the first round honestly

I thought it was hilarious. If that’s what the announcers are saying it was likely being pushed as the excuse from from Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
A sack, a TFL, and 3 qb hurries in addition to what you listed. That’s far from meh.

The sack is also the TFL so it's just one play, just to be accurate. Just as the sack was one of his seven total tackles. But still meh to me, for a superstar 5 star recruit.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Penn State is running a freshman at LT, so Epenesa was due for a good game. The announcers kept propagating the myth of all the double teams though.

Didn’t know he was a freshman, explains why his technique was far from good. He would take on Epenesa straight up. You can’t take a guy who bulls rushes straight up.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthernCy

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The line was poor but Stanley was not very good either.

Line was easily the biggest problem the last two games. Their ability to not pick up the blitz against Michigan, not protect up the middle against PSU and not able to open holes in the running game against both teams is the biggest reason why the offense wasn't successful these past two games.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Line was easily the biggest problem the last two games. Their ability to not pick up the blitz against Michigan, not protect up the middle against PSU and not able to open holes in the running game against both teams is the biggest reason why the offense wasn't successful these past two games.
Not being able to run the ball requires Stanley to have to throw the ball a ton, which is not a good thing. The past two games he's 48/85 for a 56% completion rating, 1 TD, and 4 interceptions. When the pressure has come, Stanley hasn't been able to make the throws and has made some terrible decisions. The blame is two fold.

• Winner
Reactions: GTO and CyTwins