Hawk fans gonna turn on Stanley

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's off topic, but watching Nebraska deteriorate into the midwest version of Maryland is just fantastic.

Somehow, watching it happen in slow motion is even more gratifying, as they get hyped every year only to watch it end up at an even lower level in the end.

I wonder if the Germans have some kind of word for this emotion?

bratwurst?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
  • Agree
Reactions: GTO and BCClone

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Couple of interesting threads in Hok world (LOL).

Brandon Smith calling out Nate Stanley in the postgame interview:
https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/smith-calls-out-stanley-in-postgame.88022/

Hok fans complaining that the PSU players did not wave enough (or at all):
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/psus-wave-effort.288475/

Man GTO! When I looked at the hyperlink of the second thread and saw “PSU Wave Effort”, I was certain you made it up as a parody. Nope! Wave Effort? Real life really is stranger and more entertaining than fiction.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/smith-calls-out-stanley-in-postgame.88022/

The Wave is a neat thing and I think it's something special and unique to Iowa that they can be proud of. That being said, I grow tired of the strange mafia-like Hawk fans that cautiously watch each and every opposing fan, player, coach, or referee to make sure that they are not only waving, but waving with enthusiasm for the entire allotted time. It's petty and ridiculous. Embrace your cool tradition that honors sick kids and don't worry about who is or isn't joining in to your liking.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The Wave is a neat thing and I think it's something special and unique to Iowa that they can be proud of. That being said, I grow tired of the strange mafia-like Hawk fans that cautiously watch each and every opposing fan, player, coach, or referee to make sure that they are not only waving, but waving with enthusiasm for the entire allotted time. It's petty and ridiculous. Embrace your cool tradition that honors sick kids and don't worry about who is or isn't joining in to your liking.
"Hats off" guy has to do something after the National Anthem is over

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Oh my gosh, the poster on that wave thread talking about getting teary eyed when they do the wave......

I bet that gomer really thinks the ANF stickers are helping farmers too

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows and GTO

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Would be a shame if their disaster of an offense only mustered another 12 points and dare I say, lost.

What is the O/U on # of plays for < 10 yards before hok fans start booing Stanley. I'll set it at 1.5.

Best scenario I can imagine is that Stanley struggles and gets pulled for one of the underclassmen, they have a good game and become the guy. Then they get throttled rest of the season. I think BF is better than ruining 1 QB, he should be able to destroy 2 in a season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Purdue gives up more yards per play than Kansas. I see the Iowa offense giving their fans some false hope that things are turned around this week.
I see this week for Iowa playing out exactly how you're putting it, and then them going to Northwestern and dropping a game that causes an absolute meltdown. Pat Fitzgerald has his defense just outside the top-25, they'll be at home, and they're most likely going to be coming off an absolute beatdown by Ohio State so they'll be hungry for a win.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
when you (play) terrible quarterbacks the d looks better.
the penn at kid was playing one of his first games in a hostile environment.
I understand you have to grasp at anything you can at this point. But this was bad even for you.
Cat, you are right. Even the lowly Illinois offense put up 25 on Michigan. The Hoks got 3. Woof.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

PSU raises more money for kids than just about any organization on earth thru THON. It’s cool that you guys wave though, I bet that makes you feel good.

I love that there’s others that realize what an empty gesture it is.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA

By itself, The Wave is a great thing in general, but if any Iowa fan uses it to prove to themselves in some sport manner that they are better than any other opposing fan, then that Iowa fan is a POS.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I see this week for Iowa playing out exactly how you're putting it, and then them going to Northwestern and dropping a game that causes an absolute meltdown. Pat Fitzgerald has his defense just outside the top-25, they'll be at home, and they're most likely going to be coming off an absolute beatdown by Ohio State so they'll be hungry for a win.

Get out the Francon chart if they lose this week.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Is Smith calling out Stanley or B Ferentz there? First listen I thought it was B Ferentz.
It's a little bit of both probably. Brian has to call up the correct play to get the ball to Smith and then Stanley has to go out there and execute the pass. Brandon Smith gets the ball thrown over his head a lot by Stanley and quite honestly, the pass that Brandon Smith caught for a TD in the end of the PSU game was not a good throw either.

• Agree
Reactions: CY88CE11 and GTO

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
It's a little bit of both probably. Brian has to call up the correct play to get the ball to Smith and then Stanley has to go out there and execute the pass. Brandon Smith gets the ball thrown over his head a lot by Stanley and quite honestly, the pass that Brandon Smith caught for a TD in the end of the PSU game was not a good throw either.

The moment he threw that pass, I got excited. That ball is an interception 90% of the time, incomplete 9%, and a crazy TD catch maybe 1%. Props to Smith for making it, but horrible decision and worse throw by Stanley.