Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
As any psychologist can tell you, our decision making processes at 16 are akin to Homer Simpson and donuts. Holding anyone accountable for what they posted on social media in their youth is ridiculous. It’s not a get out of jail free card, but we have to use some common sense..

• Agree
Reactions: 06_CY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The irony...the Rag is getting exactly what they wanted.

Not so sure about that. The famed adage 'any publicity is good publicity' has always been a farce. I doubt they wanted to be dragged like this, and it will absolutely impact their bottom line. Advertisers don't usually seek out media whose circulation is falling off a cliff.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
As any psychologist can tell you, our decision making processes at 16 are akin to Homer Simpson and donuts. Holding anyone accountable for what they posted on social media in their youth is ridiculous. It’s not a get out of jail free card, but we have to use some common sense..

Exactly...besides being short on experience....the frontal lobe isn't fully developed until age 21. (the some of the reasoning for the drinking age of 21 BTW).

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Not so sure about that. The famed adage 'any publicity is good publicity' has always been a farce. I doubt they wanted to be dragged like this, and it will absolutely impact their bottom line. Advertisers don't usually seek out media whose circulation is falling off a cliff.

A free-fall in "Likes" on their Facebook page? People (at least claiming) they are cancelling their subscriptions.

No...they misread this one.

They are going to can the editor and the writer, talk about how they value solid local "journalism", and ride out the national attention. It is pushing traffic, that's what it's all about for these people.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Barta to DM Register: "We messed up this band thing pretty bad, have any ideas how to take the public's mind off of it?"

DM Register: "Hold my BUSCH LIGHT beer."

fify

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
They are going to can the editor and the writer, talk about how they value solid local "journalism", and ride out the national attention. It is pushing traffic, that's what it's all about for these people.

But the business model today is heavily driven of subscriptions...unlike in the past when Want Ads drove their bottomline.

clicks don't cut it.

Callers on KXNO are reporting they are calling the Register to cancel, and are getting offered a big discount to please stay.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
So Randy questioned Pollard about a crowd control issues at ISU. It's about time someone question Randy and DM Register leadership about systemic issues within their own walls.

Reactions: Scott34 and STATE12

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Not sure why the Register felt like this needed to be brought up, before the deadline to donate to Carson. Ruined what was a great story (still is honestly) that brought a lot of good publicity to our state.

I can't fault Anheuser-Busch in any of this. They did the prudent move that every other corporate PR in America would have done.

Not really. As illustrated here, its really quite simple how they should have handled it:

644000d9cfd5503297e35b703567ae9947c570f7-1

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
But the business model today is heavily driven of subscriptions...unlike in the past when Want Ads drove their bottomline.

clicks don't cut it.

Callers on KXNO are reporting they are calling the Register to cancel, and are getting offered a big discount to please stay.
I don't profess to know the business model of newspapers, I've never subscribed to one and never will. There is all kinds of "outrage" in social media (and on KXNO) that doesn't translate to reality. They will lose some subscriptions today, oh well.

The real issue here is that the media perpetuates this idea that if you SAY something stupid, at any point in your life, you obviously believe it and are a terrible person. Your life, your livelihood, your reputation and your family should be ruined. I liked it better when people had a sense of humor.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
DMR Facebook feed has been uncharacteristically silent since the blowback happened last night other than the visitor posts section obviously. I think the editor who chose to run with this story probably is more to blame than the writer himself. This angle was not newsworthy in relevance to Carson's story and it doesn't take a journalism degree to see that. I'm guessing Carson was told they were going to run this story so he felt the need to come out publicly about it first so he could get in front of it and hopefully dictate the narrative some on it.