Assuming Tomorrow’s Game is Cancelled

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
When did lightning delays become a thing? Like when did they institute the rule about the 8 mile radius, 30 minute delay?

Lightning delays are also becoming more common because more games are being played in peak thunderstorm hours.

Many stadiums used to lack lights and TV didn't dominate start times.

Obviously, 11 AM start time isn't fool proof either, but it stands to reason playing more and more late afternoon and evening games across the country is going to increase the probability of delays.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's only been 1 year, I didn't think people would forget so fast.
The difference was that was a night game. They're calling for scattered thunderstorms all day and the game starts at 11. They will continuously push this game back and delay it as many times as possible (like the Iowa game) until they can get in at least a half of football (a half must be played to count).

The teams and universities know this could get delayed, so they're going to be prepared for those delays by stocking up on extra food for their players to eat if there was a long delay. With how everything went down last year, Pollard is going to get this game in one way or another.

The forecast is calling for thunderstorms in the morning but then scattered in the afternoon. There's actually a pretty good chance that after the initial storms / rain, it clears up for enough time to start the game and get in the amount of time needed.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree with you there. The delays aren't fun.

But "Assuming tomorrow's game is cancelled" is a bit of a stretch.

Maybe. But you can’t blame people for s bit of a fatalistic attitude either.

I’d be surprised if most people have entertained the idea. ;)

And you’ll remember I was the one insisting—correctly—that the grass lots would be open last week!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Not to cave this, but things are different weather wise than they used to be. This is becoming a trend.

We've seen a lot of rainy days at Jack Trice. We haven't seen incessant lightning until now.
Weather changing throughout time is a trend. 15000 years ago Ames was covered by a glacier. That's not meant to be a commentary on any debated topics. Just a fact.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Weather changing throughout time is a trend. 15000 years ago Ames was covered by a glacier. That's not meant to be a commentary on any debated topics. Just a fact.

Right. And we're seeing an increase in thunderstorms in September - which has ramifications for outdoor sporting events.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Lightning delays are also becoming more common because more games are being played in peak thunderstorm hours.

Many stadiums used to lack lights and TV didn't dominate start times.

Obviously, 11 AM start time isn't fool proof either, but it stands to reason playing more and more late afternoon and evening games across the country is going to increase the probability of delays.

I would also imagine as technology to detect lightning strikes has improved and become more available to institutions, they have more awareness of where and when lightning strikes are occurring.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Maybe. But you can’t blame people for s bit of a fatalistic attitude either.

I’d be surprised if most people have entertained the idea. ;)

And you’ll remember I was the one insisting—correctly—that the grass lots would be open last week!

Haha! I'd be lying if I said it hadn't ran across my mind!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Right. And we're seeing an increase in thunderstorms in September - which has ramifications for outdoor sporting events.
I guess my point is I don't think it's a permanent one. It's been weird for sure to have wet-dry-wet patterns the last couple of years, but there's no reason to think it will continue. 2 years isn't much of a trend.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
If there is one thing about weather, the news people know as much as all of us. When have we ever seen a day that it rains/lightnings all day? The state would flood if it didn't at least let up for 3 hours for the game to be played. My main concern is butts in seats, lets not embarrass ourselves CycloneNation!!!!!!! Get to the game rain or shine.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I would also imagine as technology to detect lightning strikes has improved and become more available to institutions, they have more awareness of where and when lightning strikes are occurring.
Years ago teams just kept playing because there was very little technology available to track storms. And detecting lightning strikes is also relatively new.

For everyone's safety, I am happy the technology exists. It's quite rare to be struck by lightning, but if you are.......

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If there is one thing about weather, the news people know as much as all of us. When have we ever seen a day that it rains/lightnings all day? The state would flood if it didn't at least let up for 3 hours for the game to be played. My main concern is butts in seats, lets not embarrass ourselves CycloneNation!!!!!!! Get to the game rain or shine.
There will be people at the game. It's not going to be as much as there would be with complete sunshine.. but it won't be embarrassing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron