Antonio Brown accused of rape

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I don't. If you've seen the numbers on those who graduate but still aren't really literate are staggering. It's even dumber we want to call them student athletes and use the excuse to not pay them to play football. I mean, come on this is the best shot many have at making good money in their lives. Let them focus and make money on what they do best.

Troy Davis could barely read or write.

{braces for impact..}

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I’ve done a complete 180 on language. I used to be a grammar nazi when it came to English but have since come to realize that being able to communicate with different humans is more important than knowing your/you’re, etc.

Spelling has been shown to not really be related to intelligence. It is more memorization and recall. It's also different knowing the difference and taking the time to type the correct forms. Plus, language has always been evolving so there really is no right and wrong.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I don't. If you've seen the numbers on those who graduate but still aren't really literate are staggering. It's even dumber we want to call them student athletes and use the excuse to not pay them to play football. I mean, come on this is the best shot many have at making good money in their lives. Let them focus and make money on what they do best.

Somewhat off topic...

I was having a conversation the other day with a parent of a now college student and it really made me think about the whole "prepared for life" thing. Their kid was trying to figure out how to get insurance, what credit scores meant, etc. Made me think how much kids would benefit from having a semester of school their senior year of HS to focus on real-life. A modern-day take on "Home Ec". Education of history and all that is valuable, but if somebody doesn't know how to function day-to-day on their own, it's pretty irrelevant.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Spelling has been shown to not really be related to intelligence. It is more memorization and recall. It's also different knowing the difference and taking the time to type the correct forms. Plus, language has always been evolving so there really is no right and wrong.
Why would it take more time to type the correct form?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I’ve done a complete 180 on language. I used to be a grammar nazi when it came to English but have since come to realize that being able to communicate with different humans is more important than knowing your/you’re, etc.

Absolutely agree - just think there is a world of difference between "grammar police" and what you see from examples like AB's messages above. While you don't always need to use formal written language like you'd have in a board presentation, using actual words would seem reasonable:)

Reactions: Doc

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I give him credit. He’s nearly bilingual.
I assume he can converse in standard English better than I could his dialect.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Somewhat off topic...

I was having a conversation the other day with a parent of a now college student and it really made me think about the whole "prepared for life" thing. Their kid was trying to figure out how to get insurance, what credit scores meant, etc. Made me think how much kids would benefit from having a semester of school their senior year of HS to focus on real-life. A modern-day take on "Home Ec". Education of history and all that is valuable, but if somebody doesn't know how to function day-to-day on their own, it's pretty irrelevant.

While I like the concept of a course, it should be the parents responsibility to teach their kids that stuff

• Winner
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

When it comes to texts and such I use what I call "text language" - make words shorter, use abbreviations and slang. You just have to know your audience.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Somewhat off topic...

My dad taught high school math, and this was an exercise he always did with seniors.

I'm not going to get all the details right, but he would have them pick out the vehicle they wanted, where they wanted to live (house/apt/parents' house), how they planned to eat, dress, socialize, etc.; find/estimate the prices of each those; then have them take out calculate loan payments (with interest), insurance, rent, etc. and total it all up per month/year. I know there was a college wrinkle in there where those planning on going to college had to look at tuition/student loans as well.

After all that was said and done, he would have them find the starting salary (pre and post tax) for what they planned on doing post-education. He said it made a lot of students get a little perspective on their future.

I know, cool story bro...

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Somewhat off topic...

Call it "Financial Self Defense" and make it mandatory

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Absolutely agree - just think there is a world of difference between "grammar police" and what you see from examples like AB's messages above. While you don't always need to use formal written language like you'd have in a board presentation, using actual words would seem reasonable:)

I don't speak emojis but it seems to work for kids. I think they might as well be using Hieroglyphs.

JustAFleshWound

Apr 21, 2015
Plus, language has always been evolving so there really is no right and wrong.

While what is correct 20 years from now may not be the same as what's correct today, at any given point in time there is always correct grammar and punctuation and spelling. What he trotted out there was not correct in any possible interpretation.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
My dad taught high school math, and this was an exercise he always did with seniors.

I'm not going to get all the details right, but he would have them pick out the vehicle they wanted, where they wanted to live (house/apt/parents' house), how they planned to eat, dress, socialize, etc.; find/estimate the prices of each those; then have them take out calculate loan payments (with interest), insurance, rent, etc. and total it all up per month/year. I know there was a college wrinkle in there where those planning on going to college had to look at tuition/student loans as well.

After all that was said and done, he would have them find the starting salary (pre and post tax) for what they planned on doing post-education. He said it made a lot of students get a little perspective on their future.

I know, cool story bro...

It is a cool story. You will probably have some parents who think little Breckson should be learning Calc instead of the basics, and they may be right. But it depends on the time and place and who your class is.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
While what is correct 20 years from now may not be the same as what's correct today, at any given point in time there is always correct grammar and punctuation and spelling. What he trotted out there was not correct in any possible interpretation.

According to a group of people who agree and think too highly of themselves, I would agree. That doesn't make it a fact, however.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3TrueFans

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

What the hell does trotted mean?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron