The future of the Vikings at QB

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
We all know they overpaid for Kirk Cousins. Don't get me wrong, Cousins is a decent QB, but he got paid elite QB money and he is not an elite player. With two years left on his contract, Rick Spielman needs to start thinking about what he is going to do in 2021 and beyond, when Cousins is gone. Look at the history the Vikings have had at the position, it is not impressive. I don't even remember the last time they had a true franchise QB. Before Christian Ponder (probably the worst decision Spielman has ever made), it was mostly old veterans that played with the team for a couple years - Favre, Moon, Jeff George, Cunningham etc. The younger players never seemed to work out. Ponder was a 4th-5th round guy that somehow Spielman saw as a 1st rounder. We all know how that turned out. Teddy B was playing pretty well but got hurt. That was just bad luck, but I still never saw him as a "star" QB in the NFL. And then there was the trade of a 1st round pick for Sam Bradford. Decent QB but the guy could never stay healthy and behind Minnesota's o-line he was doomed.

So that is three 1st round picks in the last 8 years for three QB's that are all no longer on the team. The Vikings QB's, again, have mostly been veterans that are only with the team for a short period of time. Cousins, Keenum, Bradford, Cassel... the list goes on and on. As a lifelong Vikings fan, I want to see some stability at the most important position in the game. Plenty of other teams have done it. Hell, Green Bay has had two HoF QB's in a row and between the two of them have been the teams' starters since 1992. That's 27 years!!

What options do the Vikings have to make this happen? I am only a fan, and although I am a huge football nerd, I have no qualifications, only opinions, when it comes to such things. So here is what I propose...

Trade a starting cornerback for a 2021 1st round pick. Make the trade with a team the will have an early-mid pick. A team that could use some good veterans on defense. Miami, perhaps. They have some holes on defense and now have extra 2021 draft picks... Offer them Xavier Rhodes, Everson Griffen and a 4th round 2020 pick in exchange for a 2021 1st round pick. Losing Rhodes would hurt, but the Vikings have some young corners that they think are going to be good - Holton Hill and Mike Hughes specifically. Griffen would be a bigger loss being that there is less depth at his position, but I have liked what I have seen out of Stephen Weatherly, and feel that he did a good job starting when Griffen was out last year. Maybe trade Weatherly along with corner Trae Waynes if Miami wants younger players?

THEN during the 2020 draft, put the word out that you want to trade your 1st round pick and see what offers come in. There are alays teams willing to trade up. Get a 1st round pick in the 2021 draft in return, giving you three 1st rounders for 2021 and use those picks to trade up and get the #1 overall pick and take Trevor Lawrence. The 1st rounder from Miami would most likely be a top 5 pick and may even be #1, in which case there would be no need to trade up, obviously. And even with a top 5 or top 10 pick, I doubt you would have to give up all three 1st rounders to trade up to #1, so more than likely you would not only have the #1 pick, but also a later 1st round pick, which could be used to upgrade the o-line or to get a #3 WR.

I just feel that Lawrence has the most potential of any QB prospect since Andrew Luck, and I think the Vikings need to do whatever they can to draft this kid and finally have a franchise QB. Set things in motion to have a great offense for him to step into - make moves to improve the o-line and get more weapons behind Diggs and Thielen and give Lawrence the best chance to be succesful right away.

Thoughts?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The solution? Simple, either:

A. Scout better than they did with the likes of Ponder, Teddy Bridgewater or Tarvaris Jackson,

Or

B. Don’t reach for players like that, just to get a quarterback. Before his health problems, Dauntae Culpepper was fine after he dropped into their laps.

There are some pretty good college qb’s out there right now. I think it’d be a bit harder to mess up the way they have been lately.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Getting rid of Spielman would be a good start. The washouts he’s had in the first round are mind boggling.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
We all know they overpaid for Kirk Cousins. Don't get me wrong, Cousins is a decent QB, but he got paid elite QB money and he is not an elite player. With two years left on his contract, Rick Spielman needs to start thinking about what he is going to do in 2021 and beyond, when Cousins is gone. Look at the history the Vikings have had at the position, it is not impressive. I don't even remember the last time they had a true franchise QB. Before Christian Ponder (probably the worst decision Spielman has ever made), it was mostly old veterans that played with the team for a couple years - Favre, Moon, Jeff George, Cunningham etc. The younger players never seemed to work out. Ponder was a 4th-5th round guy that somehow Spielman saw as a 1st rounder. We all know how that turned out. Teddy B was playing pretty well but got hurt. That was just bad luck, but I still never saw him as a "star" QB in the NFL. And then there was the trade of a 1st round pick for Sam Bradford. Decent QB but the guy could never stay healthy and behind Minnesota's o-line he was doomed.

So that is three 1st round picks in the last 8 years for three QB's that are all no longer on the team. The Vikings QB's, again, have mostly been veterans that are only with the team for a short period of time. Cousins, Keenum, Bradford, Cassel... the list goes on and on. As a lifelong Vikings fan, I want to see some stability at the most important position in the game. Plenty of other teams have done it. Hell, Green Bay has had two HoF QB's in a row and between the two of them have been the teams' starters since 1992. That's 27 years!!

What options do the Vikings have to make this happen? I am only a fan, and although I am a huge football nerd, I have no qualifications, only opinions, when it comes to such things. So here is what I propose...

Trade a starting cornerback for a 2021 1st round pick. Make the trade with a team the will have an early-mid pick. A team that could use some good veterans on defense. Miami, perhaps. They have some holes on defense and now have extra 2021 draft picks... Offer them Xavier Rhodes, Everson Griffen and a 4th round 2020 pick in exchange for a 2021 1st round pick. Losing Rhodes would hurt, but the Vikings have some young corners that they think are going to be good - Holton Hill and Mike Hughes specifically. Griffen would be a bigger loss being that there is less depth at his position, but I have liked what I have seen out of Stephen Weatherly, and feel that he did a good job starting when Griffen was out last year. Maybe trade Weatherly along with corner Trae Waynes if Miami wants younger players?

THEN during the 2020 draft, put the word out that you want to trade your 1st round pick and see what offers come in. There are alays teams willing to trade up. Get a 1st round pick in the 2021 draft in return, giving you three 1st rounders for 2021 and use those picks to trade up and get the #1 overall pick and take Trevor Lawrence. The 1st rounder from Miami would most likely be a top 5 pick and may even be #1, in which case there would be no need to trade up, obviously. And even with a top 5 or top 10 pick, I doubt you would have to give up all three 1st rounders to trade up to #1, so more than likely you would not only have the #1 pick, but also a later 1st round pick, which could be used to upgrade the o-line or to get a #3 WR.

I just feel that Lawrence has the most potential of any QB prospect since Andrew Luck, and I think the Vikings need to do whatever they can to draft this kid and finally have a franchise QB. Set things in motion to have a great offense for him to step into - make moves to improve the o-line and get more weapons behind Diggs and Thielen and give Lawrence the best chance to be succesful right away.

Thoughts?

Season hasnt even started and these questions are already popping up. Let the guy show what he can do behind an improved offensive line before starting this ******** again.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Food for thought........
Kirk Cousin Career Stats
Record In Primetime Games: 5-13
Record vs Winning Teams: 4-24 
Record vs Winning Teams This Year: 0-5 
Career Road Record: 12-23-2 
Career Record On Monday Night Football: 0-7 
And yet the VIkings thought enough of him to guarantee him his entire contract.

Now, I'm not saying things couldn't change still - but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against it.

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
There is a 0% chance they trade away current starters for draft picks two years away from now. This is a team in win now mode that does have Super Bowl aspirations despite last year’s mediocre season. Also, the Dolphins are tanking and collecting draft assets (see Laremy Tunsil trade), so nobody is doing any deals with them to receive picks in return. And I think it will be about impossible to trade up and get Lawrence. He is the most hyped prospect in a very, very long time. Would have to empty the cupboard and then some to have a chance to get him. Let’s see how Kirk does this year with a hopefully slightly less abysmal offensive line and figure it out from there.

Thoughts?

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
There is a 0% chance they trade away current starters for draft picks two years away from now. This is a team in win now mode that does have Super Bowl aspirations despite last year’s mediocre season. Also, the Dolphins are tanking and collecting draft assets (see Laremy Tunsil trade), so nobody is doing any deals with them to receive picks in return. And I think it will be about impossible to trade up and get Lawrence. He is the most hyped prospect in a very, very long time. Would have to empty the cupboard and then some to have a chance to get him. Let’s see how Kirk does this year with a hopefully slightly less abysmal offensive line and figure it out from there.

Correct.

And I don't think you would come close to a first round pick for Rhodes or Waynes anyway. Xavier had a great "Rhodes Closed" season or two, but hasn't been a top 10 guy for the last couple.

You always overpay for the top free agents, especially at a position like QB. Even then, it washes out a bit over the years with other re-upping.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Make him win road games and games against top NFL teams. No NFL team has an issue paying a QB when he WINS, period.

upload_2019-9-5_8-9-11.png

He's the 7th highest paid QB as of this morning. Tom Brady is the exception and him continuing to take less dollars has been one of or the leading reasons for the Patriots Dynasty

This list doesn't include Mahomes and Dak. Who are probably signing an extension this next off-season for the $40M range.

Last edited:

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Cousins isn't a top-flight QB. He's probably 2nd or 3rd tier, probably in the middle of NFL QBs. I was concerned w/ how much the Vikings gave him, but they were in a tough spot with Bridgewater and then Bradford getting hurt. Keenum had an amazing 2017 but was saved many times by Diggs & Thielen on 50/50 balls - was not the long-term answer. The job OC Shurmur did w/ him at the helm was very impressive - got him the NYG job. So, I think the Vikings had to default to Cousins. He has excellent physical skills but is missing the "it" factor and has the worst pocket sense of any decent QB I've ever seen - he just doesn't have any feel for the rush, how to step up and/or move in the pocket; it's crazy how numb he is, in a bad way, not a "cool under pressure" way.

I like how you're thinking, but there is no way the Dolphins are going to trade their #1 pick. They're all in on Tua. I agree that Lawrence is the guy to get, but there will be a long line of teams trying to get him, and I don't see the Vikings doing poorly enough to have a high pick of their own to include in the trade. Would have to give a # of high draft picks to get up there. Not sure what the Vikes will do. It's a challenge many NFL teams face. Spielman has his detractors, but, overall, he's actually been a pretty good GM - he's had his "high" misses (Ponder, Treadwell) and has been slow to address the OL, but, the talent level on this team, including the late-round/free-agent finds is impressive. They have an excellent roster.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I did see a 2021 mock draft that had Purdy being a late 1st round pick and the #3 QB taken, behind Lawrence and Justin Fields. The same mock also had Mike Rose as a mid-1st rounder.

Oh HeS GoInG tO hAvE tO dO WaY mOrE thAn hE dID aGaiNsT uNi If hEs gOiNg To bE a fIrSt roUNdeR o_Oo_O

:jimlad:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
We're two seasons away from Trevor Lawrence even being eligible for the draft. A lot can happen in two seasons. Going into last season everyone was talking about Tua, and now he isn't even the consensus top QB in this year's class. Lawrence could very well end up being the man in 2021 but it'd be crazy to start stockpiling picks and assets to get in position to take him now.

I think it would behoove the Vikes to draft a QB in 2020 to turn up the heat on Cousins and maybe eventually replace him but I wouldn't worry about trading picks to move up unless there's a guy they absolutely love. Plenty of decent-to-good QBs in this class - Tua, Jake Fromm (who I think will be great in specific offensive schemes), Jordan Love, Justin Herbert, KJ Costello, Jacob Eason...no generational QB but plenty of guys who could eventually become capable starters in the right situation.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Tom Brady is the exception and him continuing to take less dollars has been one of or the leading reasons for the Patriots Dynasty
Brady could lead the league in annual pay twice over and still not touch his wife's bankroll. Easy decision for him.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Food for thought........
Kirk Cousin Career Stats
Record In Primetime Games: 5-13
Record vs Winning Teams: 4-24 
Record vs Winning Teams This Year: 0-5 
Career Road Record: 12-23-2 
Career Record On Monday Night Football: 0-7 
And yet the VIkings thought enough of him to guarantee him his entire contract.

Now, I'm not saying things couldn't change still - but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against it.
I have a really hard time looking at his Skins numbers for anything useful, as the Vikings teams he's on now is by far and away better than any Redskins team he played on. The only place where that isn't really true is the OL.

That being said, what's frustrating for the Vikings is that they don't need Cousins to be a world-beater. If he regularly played games at even a consistent, game-manager level, the Vikings would win often with defense to back that up. Last year, going through the OCs created a lot of problems there, as well as garbage OL play. I want to believe the coaching of those areas is now improved, but the OL has a lot to prove, and they need to do it now.

All of the pieces are there. Diggs and Theilen are nuts. Cook is nuts when healthy. Defense again looks very strong, sans some depth lacking at CB. Cousins just needs to be "okay to goodish" for them to be at a top-tier team. This is exactly what Keenum excelled at for us -- he was able to keep games flowing without the need to carry the entire team on his back, ...but some of that was done with his feet dodging defenders. That skill is not nearly as good with Cousins. OL has to help out there.

As far as future QBs go, I still wish the Vikings would've bought up Josh Rosen cheaply and early and sat him behind Cousins until his contract is up, then go from there. I would still hope they get a project guy sooner than later. A year or two to sit and adjust to the game never hurts versus playing a rookie QB from week 1.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Make him win road games and games against top NFL teams. No NFL team has an issue paying a QB when he WINS, period.

View attachment 66149

He's the 7th highest paid QB as of this morning. Tom Brady is the exception and him continuing to take less dollars has been one of or the leading reasons for the Patriots Dynasty

Man there is a lot of mediocre QBs on that list. Bad teams are forced to over pay in hopes of finding the next elite QB. Lots of misses.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan92