Bring a raincoat to your tailgate

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Looks like most forecasts are calling for a cool wet early morning (upper 50's) but hopefully the weather will get nicer as the day goes on. I love the cool temps for a first game, but I hope meteorologists are wrong on the precipitation. Don't like eating breakfast in the rain!

You can't tell me what to do.

• Winner
Reactions: STLISU

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
What weather app would you recommend?
Weather.gov/Noaa
Accuweather
Weatherbug
Weather
WTForecase
KCCI
Foxnews
Cnn

Weather.Gov (Local NWS)
Local TV Forecast...sometimes their website.

I don't trust any canned app from Accuweather, Weatherbug even the TV stations it can widely vary how much if any control they have on the forecast that goes on there. A lot of those are just grabbing model data and not even an ensemble to find a mean result. Thus it can be quite off and you all blame mets that likely had no input to what you saw.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Weather.Gov (Local NWS)

I don't trust any canned app from Accuweather, Weatherbug even the TV stations it can widely vary how much if any control they have on the forecast that goes on there. A lot of those are just grabbing model data and not even an ensemble to find a mean result. Thus it can be quite off and you all blame mets that likely had no input to what you saw.

Sounds like meteorologists ought to be protecting their reps. I'd start by copy-writing "Weather" and "The Weather" (assuming tOSU allows the latter) and only letting qualified users mess with it.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Weather.Gov (Local NWS)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all of these apps rely on the same weather data that they get from the government? So all the apps are essentially just carving up the data and presenting it to you in their own unique ways?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all of these apps rely on the same weather data that they get from the government? So all the apps are essentially just carving up the data and presenting it to you in their own unique ways?

Correct but most of those apps are just raw data without a person looking at it and saying "That's BS". There is a lot of time that the models of peculiarities that just are not right (they are imperfect algorithms trying to predict a fluid atmosphere with constantly changing variables after all) and if you use raw model data you are risking being subject to those imperfections that a meteorologist can help correct. Take hurricane Dorian for instance. The new version of the GFS has a well documented flaw that it is late in turning storms for the left. So even as of last night it had it making landfall in the Carolinas while everything else was consistent with it going into Florida. So if you were using that one model you would be WAY off.

Basically human interpolation/correction>>>>>raw model data.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I'm just happy it's finally apple season so we can make some decent chicken salad
tenor.gif

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Correct but most of those apps are just raw data without a person looking at it and saying "That's BS". There is a lot of time that the models of peculiarities that just are not right (they are imperfect algorithms trying to predict a fluid atmosphere with constantly changing variables after all) and if you use raw model data you are risking being subject to those imperfections that a meteorologist can help correct. Take hurricane Dorian for instance. The new version of the GFS has a well documented flaw that it is late in turning storms for the left. So even as of last night it had it making landfall in the Carolinas while everything else was consistent with it going into Florida. So if you were using that one model you would be WAY off.

For all the data, models, commentary etc. you can find online, the single most useful thing I've ever found was when KCCI used to take screenshots of their broadcast weather report with snapshots for every hour of their futurecast (or whatever they call it) radar. You could just click through hour by hour and get an idea of when and how much it would rain. Unfortunately they stopped doing that but most of the time it was all the weather info I needed.

isumet

Feb 25, 2019

On the other hand... a good chunk of Euro ensembles recurve even faster than the GFS... ;)
But your point is good here. Most, if not all, meteorologists can outperform any individual model for one forecast point at one time.

For all the data, models, commentary etc. you can find online, the single most useful thing I've ever found was when KCCI used to take screenshots of their broadcast weather report with snapshots for every hour of their futurecast (or whatever they call it) radar. You could just click through hour by hour and get an idea of when and how much it would rain. Unfortunately they stopped doing that but most of the time it was all the weather info I needed.

FYI, the NWS does something similar... if you go to the standard forecast page and scroll down to National Digital Forecast Database, you can see most of their output fields as images. The graphical views are also pretty nice.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Really dont like the idea of having to run the ball to win a game because of sloppy conditions. Levels the playing field a bit. See drake (i know the conditions wont be that bad, but still).

• Useful
Reactions: ComCY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Really dont like the idea of having to run the ball to win a game because of sloppy conditions. Levels the playing field a bit. See drake (i know the conditions wont be that bad, but still).
The field conditions are going to be fine.. A slightly wet field is not going to be a big deal at all. This should not cause us to change anything we were going to do against UNI.