College Gameday in Ames?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I actually think between Scheman and CY Stephens with Jack Trice in the background would be the perfect place because it would show off about a half mile of some of the best tailgating in the country with Jack Trice in the background.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Post on HR regarding this:

Herbstreit just talked at length on ESPNU Radio about the possibility of Gameday at Ames for Iowa-ISU. Based on the conversation, my guess is they’ll be there provided both teams are undefeated.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/college-gameday-for-cy-hawk-game.280830/page-3#post-6763913
I just listened to the interview. I didn't hear him say anything that made me believe Gameday was coming if Iowa and ISU are undefeated. He talked about Iowa-ISU and Clemson-Syracuse and said he sees Gameday going to one or the other.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
I just listened to the interview. I didn't hear him say anything that made me believe Gameday was coming if Iowa and ISU are undefeated. He talked about Iowa-ISU and Clemson-Syracuse and said he sees Gameday going to one or the other.

That was just the posters guess on HR after listening to the interview.

If it comes down to those 2 matchups and both instate teams are undefeated, you have to like the chances considering where gameday is going week 1.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
I think I speak for a lot of people here....WHO CARES where they put Gameday! It would be awesome for them to just come and show the nation what Ames and the state are all about.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I think I speak for a lot of people here....WHO CARES where they put Gameday! It would be awesome for them to just come and show the nation what Ames and the state are all about.
A lot of people who aren't alums?

I don't want a bunch of people tearing up central campus. Hawkroaches will. Anywhere with JTS in the background is where it belongs. Plenty of great spots down there.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
There’s a good chance of this happening for the CyHawk game, but you’d have to be just a bit crazy wanting to share that event with Hawkeye fans. They cheapen everything like a Walmart t-shirt.
Well said, sir. College Game Day is the closest most of these Tavern Hoks will ever get to actually setting foot on a college campus.

• Winner
Reactions: arobb and GT25Ump

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

No kidding. This thread reeks of little brother. Fans worried we will be outnumbered by Hawk trolls. Good grief ISU fans will show up in HUGE numbers.

Embrace the rivalry and the opportunity to beat the **** out of Iowa on the biggest stage in college football!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No kidding. This thread reeks of little brother. Fans worried we will be outnumbered by Hawk trolls. Good grief ISU fans will show up in HUGE numbers.

Embrace the rivalry and the opportunity to beat the **** out of Iowa on the biggest stage in college football!

Does anyone even watch GameDay anymore? iirc it’s just a bunch of crappy human interest stories with a crappy picks segment at the end.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: UNI1ISU2 and Acylum

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The incident I described is honestly the only time I can think of getting involved, or being the recipient of that unfounded, condescending rivalry crap in this area.

When I lived in Des Moines, it happened almost weekly. And ISU fans are a much larger demographic there - which maybe explains it.

Was at the state fair this week and got a 'Iowa State fan? Sorry about that' out of nowhere from a complete stranger.

That must be quite the life to have that kind of mentality.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have little doubt that's why. Hawkeye fans have lived most of their lives with very little resistance. I was outnumbered 10-1 growing up in central Iowa. As the numbers start leveling, and ISU fans become more boisterous, Hawkeye fans will start/have started to ratchet up their defenses. They truly believe we don't have the right to have pride in our team.

I think the current level of disdain between the two fanbases stems from McCarney's 5-game streak. It gave ISU fans a little juice.

That said, it's still a relatively tame rivalry if you're not a jackass. Generally, you get what you give. The NFL/WWE/Kirkwood crowd would be in full force if Gameday was in town, and that's a bad recipe because that's the crowd that goes way over the top and starts ****. 2005 in Ames on Friday night was a bad scene.

FWIW I read the paper copy of the Gazette today and there wasn't a single mention of ISU football in a year with some real excitement.

Instead it was multiple stories about some Iowa lineman.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone even watch GameDay anymore? iirc it’s just a bunch of crappy human interest stories with a crappy picks segment at the end.

You can be sure high school recruits watch college game day. Winning helps.. exposure helps even more.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Was at the state fair this week and got a 'Iowa State fan? Sorry about that' out of nowhere from a complete stranger.

That must be quite the life to have that kind of mentality.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of Midwestern people that just can’t keep their mouths shut. I could tell that guy that said that to you I would give him $1000 cash if he keeps his mouth shut and he wouldn’t be able to do it. Midwestern Annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: psychlone99

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
My pick for CGD celeb would be Georges, followed by Abby Hornacek if he couldn't make it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
My pick for CGD celeb would be Georges, followed by Abby Hornacek if he couldn't make it.

Gotta go with Niang IMO, not even a question. I don't care if most of the country doesn't know who he is. He'd be awesome on there.

I don't want some celebrity like Costner that has absolutely NOTHING to do with ISU at all, but was just in a famous movie made in the state. Stupid.