Friday OT - Where The Red Fern Grows

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
One other thing - my parents bought a set of World Book Encyclopedias when I was very young, and I spent many hours perusing them.

Same. Learned a lot of random facts out of those things.

Now I am a beast at Jeopardy and crossword puzzles. Not so much on the pop culture stuff though LOL.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Not sure how many times I read the book Holes.

Read where the Red Fern Grows in 5th or 6th grade and wanted a Coonhound since. Then realized how annoying they were when I went to my gfs place for the first time.

Read every Harry Potter book except for the last one.

giphy.gif

You read 6 Harry Potter books and skipped the 7th? Why would you do this?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Anyone who's read these books would know immediately from my username, so:
The Blue Sword/The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley

But beyond that, just a huge nerd. So here goes:
every Robert A. Heinlein novel
every Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern book and also her Crystal Singer series
all of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series
Frederik Pohl's Heechee series
Isaac Asimov's Foundation series

Edit: also, did anyone else read those "Choose your own ending" books? The ones where you are given a decision to make, and based on your choice, it tells you the page to go to next. lol, so cheesy, but I loved those.

I read a ton of Choose your Own Adventure books.
I had my own and my older brother had a ton of D&D themed ones.

Oddly I can't remember NOT dying in any of them.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Thanks to @NWICY for this idea!

What are some of your favorite childhood books? Why?

Since this is a forum mostly of dudes, I'm not going to have as much crossover. But I read voraciously as a child. Just a few:

- Anne of Green Gables series
- Several Louisa May Alcott pieces (Eight Cousins, Rose In Bloom, Little Women)
- The Babysitters Club series
- Pollyanna
- Nancy Drew Case Files
- Sweet Valley Twins/High
- Bunnicula series

There were so, so many more. I started reading more adult classical lit and such around fifth and sixth grade, but those were some good starters.

I had two sisters and read a bunch of the Babysitters Club books. Kristi was my favorite until Dawn showed up. Also, read a lot of Tom Swift, Hardy Boys, and every book in the Oskaloosa Public Library about baseball.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If skimming doesn’t count, I may have read 10 books front to back in my life.

Skimming got me A- book reports and 8 hours to learn while doing.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I hated reading as a kid. Sitting still was not my cup of tea. I read some of the Hardy Boys and Encyclopedia Brown books and didn't hate them, but I was definitely not a traditional reader. Like @SCyclone, I would grab an encyclopedia, look up random things and read about them. Short-term reading that I wasn't forced to do.

The first books I really enjoyed reading were The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy that my older brother suggested. I also liked Watership Down, In Cold Blood and Johnny Got His Gun.

In high school, I had a great English teacher that helped steer me to books I enjoyed (Catcher in the Rye, Where the Red Fern Grows, Lord of the Flies). I was also in Speech class and my instructor challenged me with several different genres. She gave me an appreciation for Poe by having me perform A Cask of Amontillado for one contest.

In college, I dated a girl who loved Shakespeare. While he's not my favorite, I gained an appreciation for him that I didn't attempt to have before.

I had a lot of good influences throughout my life. I went from detesting reading as a child to thoroughly enjoying it as an adult.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I read a ton of Choose your Own Adventure books.
I had my own and my older brother had a ton of D&D themed ones.

Oddly I can't remember NOT dying in any of them.

I had to go and look up some of the D&D books I remember stealing from my brother. The artwork pulled me in with most of them. One of the big influences in making Fantasy my favorite reading genre.

878976.jpg
220px-Dungeon_of_Dread.jpg

5176HgnC5dL._SL300_.jpg
763976e79f158b03c1eb1ebecbc5dde9.jpg
images
804f8cd75925c788101a1f92ab7e9cef.jpg

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I hated reading as a kid. Sitting still was not my cup of tea. I read some of the Hardy Boys and Encyclopedia Brown books and didn't hate them, but I was definitely not a traditional reader. Like @SCyclone, I would grab an encyclopedia, look up random things and read about them. Short-term reading that I wasn't forced to do.

The first books I really enjoyed reading were The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy that my older brother suggested. I also liked Watership Down, In Cold Blood and Johnny Got His Gun.

In high school, I had a great English teacher that helped steer me to books I enjoyed (Catcher in the Rye, Where the Red Fern Grows, Lord of the Flies). I was also in Speech class and my instructor challenged me with several different genres. She gave me an appreciation for Poe by having me perform A Cask of Amontillado for one contest.

In college, I dated a girl who loved Shakespeare. While he's not my favorite, but I gained an appreciation for him that I didn't attempt to have before.

I had a lot of good influences throughout my life. I went from detesting reading as a child to thoroughly enjoying it as an adult.

Johnny Got His Gun was one that I read early too. Very dark, and impactful. Almost all the books I listed, including that one, came from my uncle's library. He had an attic loft area that was all book shelves, filled with books all the way around the perimeter. For a kid who loved to read, it was awesome.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Some of my favorites:
Emily of New Moon is the first in a series of novels by Lucy Maud Montgomery similar to Anne of Green Gables.
Laura Ingalls Wilder books
Mickey Zucker Reichert and her Renshi series. I've always enjoyed Norse mythology.
Elizabeth Moon had several good books

I remember reading the Baby Sitter's Club,but I found after awhile it just seemed repetitive.

Reactions: Angie

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Read a bunch in elementary school, then that kinda wore off by middle-high school. The only books I read were the ones required for class (has since changed). of those books these were the only ones that peaked my interest.

Perks of Being a Wallflower
Fahrenheit 451
Night

Also did get into The Hunger Games books

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron