Iowa Football Recruiting

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
Says a lot about a kid that he needed to step down a level.
KaleidoscopicFirmChameleon-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: jmb and BLHawk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He was at the top of the depth chart at Michigan.
He probably would've played next year but he was not the best WR. He was the third best. Peoples-Jones and Nico Collins were better than him and Michigan rarely runs sets using 3 or more WR so he would not have been on the field as much as you're thinking. At Iowa he should be their best WR and will be on the field a lot, so going somewhere where you know you're going to be the #1 is smart.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
In-state recruiting for ISU is a tough out. Kids and/or their families have an infatuation with Iowa because ISU was trash for so long and because Iowa continues to send kids to the NFL. It's a long process, but in time, Campbell can slowly turn the tide.

Even if he doesn't, it won't kill him. He recruits from everywhere and isn't dependent on in state kids. Would it be nice to get more of the top Iowa kids? Sure. But some of the best ones don't even stay in state and want to try their hand elsewhere.

It's not like there are a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids from Iowa spurning ISU, or the hoks for that matter.

The quality of Iowa HS football as a whole is not great. The programs just aren't putting out that many top level kids. There aren't that many kids that are D1 ready. Many of the best kids have been developed into great players rather than coming in as stars.

The hoks are still going to get a ton of in state recruits because their dads and grandpas grew up hok fans. That's decades and decades of indoctrination that is going to be tough to overcome. I think that tradition is even harder to break in a smaller population state like Iowa.

I am happy with the kids we get from other states honestly. If we get one of the better guys from in state, that's just gravy.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm curious, and I know you guys will know much better than I would. Who have been the best/top 10 high school recruits from the state of Iowa in the past decade?

Not talking about the guys who turned into great players by the time their college career was done. I mean best recruits.

And if you guys know where they committed to/ended up that would be awesome as well.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
The best players of the ISU-Campbell era so far have been from out of state and likely will continue to be.

There are a lot more to choose from (obviously).

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I'm curious, and I know you guys will know much better than I would. Who have been the best/top 10 high school recruits from the state of Iowa in the past decade?

Not talking about the guys who turned into great players by the time their college career was done. I mean best recruits.

And if you guys know where they committed to/ended up that would be awesome as well.

I went back to 2011 and here is what I came up with.

Christain French - .9062 went to Oregon
Austin Bythe - .8987 went to Iowa
Darboh - .9188 went to Michigan
Piersbacher - .9657 went to Alabama
Lazard - .9641 went to ISU
Raridon - .9452 went to Nebraska
Henrich - .8954 went to Arkansas
Martin - .9251 went to Michigan
Duggan - .9127 went to TCU
Jones - .9069 committed to Iowa

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019

Using the 2020 class and 247 rankings going back 10 years this is what I found although it is hard since quality of the recruiting services have really changed in the last decade:

1- Ross Pierschbacher .9657 Alabama

2- Allen Lazard .9641 Iowa State

3- Sam Raridon .9453 Nebraska

4- Oliver Martin .9251 Michigan

5- Amara Darboh .9188 Michigan

6- Max Duggan .9127 TCU

7- Logan Jones .9085 Verbal to Iowa

8- Christian French .9060 Oregon

9- Austin Blythe .8987 Iowa

10- Jake Heinrich .8954 Arkansas

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Odd that you find it funny that Campbell can’t have a better recruiting class than KF despite your assertion he is a better recruiter.

Odd that any Iowa fan would bicker and argue about something as trivial as recruiting rankings. Especially since it's well documented that they don't matter.

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
What's easier to say for Harbaugh at Big Ten media days:

"We were surprised he transferred, he would have played this year"

Or

"He's a transfer thug who wasn't going to play so we're not surprised he's leaving since there's been rumors of it since last off season"
Yeah BUT, that's not what he said though. He specifically said, "He was at the top of our depth chart."

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

Walmartthieves

Jun 24, 2019
Odd that any Iowa fan would bicker and argue about something as trivial as recruiting rankings. Especially since it's well documented that they don't matter.

It is odd what clone fans try and use to show how much better they are than Iowa. Class rankings for recruiting don’t count at this point all that matters is WR recruiting.

The day Iowa starts recruiting a player because of their 247 ranking is the day the program has given up on its identity and culture.