Iowa Football Recruiting

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
I mean I don't know why we're arguing here. Iowa obviously should be better at in-state recruiting because they've been the more successful program. Iowa State is starting to become nationally recognized and more succesful, yes, but the in-state recruiting is not going to change overnight. I would say a lot of these kids grew up liking Iowa football, but if Iowa State can keep doing what they're doing, it will become a little more even.

What is the point?

Im not arguing, just pointing out that saying instate recruiting has become closer since Campbell has been at ISU isnt accurate. He has gotten 3 kids from Iowa that KF also offered while Iowa has landed 11 kids that had offers from both Iowa and ISU.

Just looking at the total number of instate commits doesnt tell the complete story.

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Instate recruiting has favored Iowa for years, I'm not sure why you thought that would change at the snap of a finger. Iowa State's presence is increasing and that will continue to move things forward in the right direction. The amount of football talent that comes out of the eastern portion of the state doesn't help Iowa State either.

I hope it doesnt change, I was simply responding to this post which wasnt telling the whole story:

Additionally, if you go to 247 and look at the top 10 state of Iowa recruiting over the past 4 years (including the upcoming 2020 class), Iowa has recruited 17 while Iowa State has recruited 13. So yes, Iowa still has the lead in recruiting Iowa kids, but it has become a closer thing than before Campbell came to town.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Im not arguing, just pointing out that saying instate recruiting has become closer since Campbell has been at ISU isnt accurate. He has gotten 3 kids from Iowa that KF also offered while Iowa has landed 11 kids that had offers from both Iowa and ISU.

Just looking at the total number of instate commits doesnt tell the complete story.
Ah okay. I don't think the in-state recruiting is going to change for a few years. My original post that sparked this conversation was just talking about the top 30 all-time recruits at Iowa State were half of Matt Campbell's guys. It's certainly important to get in-state guys and Matt Campbell is doing exactly what he needs to do to try and get those guys here.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Yeah, I get that but simply spewing the numbers doesn't tell the whole story either...

Right, someone would need to go back and look at instate recruiting during the Rhoads era to see if there has been much of a change.

That being said, IMO, Campbell has proven to be an effective recruiter in other parts of the country especially at the skill position spots so him missing on instate kids wont be as detrimental to the program like it was with Rhoads.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
It'll take some time for ISU to win in-state recruiting. Parents HEAVILY play a part in kids choosing a school and today's kids have parents that are 40-60 years old approx. Iowa State wasn't a relevant football school until 1998 when ISU broke the streak. Give it some time for our growing alumni base to start having kids.

Iowa was also the largest school in the state until 2010 or 2011 I believe. ISU now has more alumni being created than TOE, plus a TON of Iowa grads end up in Chicago. That trend only helps ISU

With CMC's success it's just accelerating a timeline working in Iowa State's favor

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Right, someone would need to go back and look at instate recruiting during the Rhoads era to see if there has been much of a change.

That being said, IMO, Campbell has proven to be an effective recruiter in other parts of the country especially at the skill position spots so him missing on instate kids wont be as detrimental to the program like it was with Rhoads.

Honestly, it always felt like CPR kind of conceded the instate kids to Iowa. For some strange reason he went with the Texas leftover approach and yeah, that didn't work out so hot.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

What was the ratio like prior to Campbell?

Reactions: chadly82

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
In-state recruiting for ISU is a tough out. Kids and/or their families have an infatuation with Iowa because ISU was trash for so long and because Iowa continues to send kids to the NFL. It's a long process, but in time, Campbell can slowly turn the tide.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
What was the ratio like prior to Campbell?

Not sure:

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
Pretty bad example since they lost that one and were the backup plan...
What team is he currently on?
SharpRadiantEastrussiancoursinghounds-max-1mb.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Dandy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What team is he currently on?
SharpRadiantEastrussiancoursinghounds-max-1mb.gif
I mean they lost him to Michigan, and then when he wanted to leave he couldn't get answers from other schools about transferring there so he went somewhere where he knew they'd take him and would play right away. Not dogging the kid, just saying there's a small asterisk by it.

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
I mean they lost him to Michigan, and then when he wanted to leave he couldn't get answers from other schools about transferring there so he went somewhere where he knew they'd take him and would play right away. Not dogging the kid, just saying it's there's a small asterisk by it.
Meh. That's all conjecture.

Reactions: BLHawk