On That Note: To the 9’s (part 2) 1979

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
As previously covered in the heads up post yesterday, this week's OTN is a continuation of the Decades series started last week by @cyclones500. Also a regular posting member of the staff of OTN is @CycloneRulzzz.

So pick your favorite LP's released in 1979 and give us your reasons or history with the album and post away!

(Last Week's thread can be found here: https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/on-that-note-to-the-9’s-part-1-1969-and-’59.248795/

My first Offering:

Armed Forces - Elvis Costello and the Attractions

Probably not his best album. Thematically it just doesn't hold together for me. That said, an average EC album is still pretty great in this period.

Best Cut is probably - Party Girl. Great Lyrics!

The 'hit' Accidents Will Happen

Oliver's Army - "Have you got yourself an occupation" (Occupation as a job, being a soldier? Or occupation as in this Army is Occupying another country?)

Two Little Hitlers

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Another one in the same sort of realm

Nick Lowe - Labour of Lust

Speaking of Elvis Costello he appears on this record along with the Attractions. Of course Mr. Lowe produced EC's first 5 albums so it's not like they weren't spending a lot of time together professionally anyway.

The Hit: Cruel to be Kind

Switchboard Susan

American Squirm

Without love

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
My last one. At least for tonight

Back To The Egg - Paul McCartney and Wings

This was Paul jumping on the Punk/New Wave craze and I liked it. Though not everything on the LP is in that mode. Several very poppy songs. (Or "peppy" as Mr. White would say.) This album was pretty much panned by critics in the day. However my interactions with other Beatles/McCartney fans - we seem to almost to a man/woman love this album and can't understand why it's not better known. Definitely one of the underappreciated offerings from Sir Paul. And his last with Wings.

Probably my favorite is

Spin It On

Arrow Through Me

Rockestra Theme (won Grammy for best instrumental that year)

Old Siam Sir

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
#1B
The Cars
Candy-O
June 13, 1979

Ah, where to start. Tied for the band’s highest-charting studio album on U.S. chart (with “Heartbeat City”). More significant for me is how strong the album is as a complete work. It has two “triple-plays” — 3 songs that merge together, concluding each side of the LP.

Example 1, from side 1. (Double Life, Shoo Be Doo and Candy-O). (Side 2’s “triple play” is Lust For Kicks, Got a Lot on My Head, Dangerous Type)

And then on to the opener of Side 2

I'm compelled to include "It's All I Can Do" instead of using the side 2 three-fer, just because ... At the time, it perhaps was the most identifiable song from the LP, although the intro cut "Let's Go" charted much better. Lead vocal by Benjamin Orr, who also sang lead on “Just What I Needed,” “Drive” and “Let’s Go."

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
In retrospect, that sounds highly un-Wings-ish. I wonder if that's why it got a critical backlash -- it wasn't enough "more of the same." .... the tracks you posted are not in the same vein as "With a Little Luck" (from London Town the previous year) that's for sure.

London Town always seems like rainy day music to me. this is more upbeat. Even one of the videos is set in a desert Oasis. So opposite of rainy weather.

Reactions: cyclones500

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
I have always thought Gary Numan to be an underrated artist. A lot of his stuff has been covered by other artists a bazillion times. Cars, Metal, Are Friends Electric, Down in the Park, etc. He still puts good stuff out to this day. The Pleasure Principle was released in 1979 so it'll be my submission.

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

[

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Zeppelin: In Through The Out Door

Their last album with John Bonham whose death ended the career of the greatest rock band ever. In Through The Out Door showcases JPJ's and Robert Plant's colaborations growing influence in the band with All Of My Love. Ahh, what could have been...

On the downside, it contains the worse Zeppelin song ever: Hot Dog.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron