Level the playing field in HS athletics

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't think the 3A schools are gonna be happy to win a state championship, get bumped up to 4A and then get their *** handed to them.

If you take the top 6 I posted...3 of them already play other sports in 4A conferences, a 4th could if they wanted, and one is basically a suburb of a 4A metro. Decorah is the only one that might have a beef.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I played 4A basketball and we had some teams that were pretty dang good. I remember during Winter Break against a few good 3A teams and absolutely go our ***** kicked. The gap between a good 3A and good 4A team is pretty negligible in everything but football.

True, but the top 3A teams would smoke over half of the 4A field. It's that top tier of 4A where there is a huge gap.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
That's one spring. How do other northern states do it? Why can't baseball start in April?

Except there were a bunch of issues just last spring for Midwestern states during spring season. Why does Iowa need to move baseball/softball to spring?

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Except there were a bunch of issues just last spring for Midwestern states during spring season. Why does Iowa need to move baseball/softball to spring?

A lot of kids don't want to spend their entire summer playing baseball. A lot of kids get summer jobs, go on long trips, play in leagues, or go to camps for other sports, hang out at the lake and chase girls, etc. A lot of the top athletes in our district stop playing baseball after 8th/9th grade due to those reasons.

How many states play H.S. baseball in the summer?

• Disagree

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Last year my son played baseball in the Open Baseball league in West Des Moines. They only had the numbers for 3 teams... Almost all of the other kids were playing in closed competitive leagues at 7 years old. It's a problem that's only getting worse. Don't even get me started on the financial side of privatized youth sports!
As Kobe Bryant said AAU athletics is killing high school sports

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I like how Tennessee does it...no private schools allowed against public schools. It's so frustrating year after year to watch the State tournaments in most sports and see almost all classes ruled by private catholic schools. I'd imagine those catholic schools are greasing the wheels at the offices in Boone so it'll never happen. I would bet heavy on nothing ever changing.

The new/incoming IHSAA director is the former A.D. at Xavier.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
A lot of kids don't want to spend their entire summer playing baseball. A lot of kids get summer jobs, go on long trips, play in leagues, or go to camps for other sports, hang out at the lake and chase girls, etc. A lot of the top athletes in our district stop playing baseball after 8th/9th grade due to those reasons.

How many states play H.S. baseball in the summer?

Then those kids don't have to go out for baseball or softball. You have your whole life to go to the lake, work, or chase girls. It's about priorities. There were several kids who quit summer sports to do those things when I was growing up and have later stated they wished they had stuck with it. I see a few dads living through their kids because of it.

Iowa is the only state that has summer baseball.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Track can shorten their season to end in early May. A lot of small schools don't even have soccer or Tennis. Golf?

There are more 1A and 2A schools starting soccer (even as co-op programs) every year.

Track ends in mid-May.
The soccer regular season ends in mid-May.

Baseball/softball practices start around May 1, but the first games aren't until after track and soccer are over. That still allows for kids to do both, if they want.

Minnesota limits their spring baseball season to 20 games. Wisconsin allows 26. South Dakota doesn't even offer baseball in high school.

• Agree

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Here's another one... Why The #$%^ does Iowa start baseball in late may/early June when the rest of the country plays in the spring?

My guess would be participation numbers. I just don't see how the smaller districts would be able to support track, baseball, and golf at the same time.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You need four students to be able to post a team score in golf, Seymour, Moravia and Mormon Trail all have golf teams this past year. In fact one gal from Seymour placed in the regional and advanced to sub state play.

Spring baseball/softball only works if you have a strong AAU program for the kids to play after their spring season is over. There is nothing wrong with having summer softball/baseball. But we did have kids doing track and golf, and then going to the summer sports to practice when their first practice was over.

• Winner

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Then those kids don't have to go out for baseball or softball. You have your whole life to go to the lake, work, or chase girls. It's about priorities. There were several kids who quit summer sports to do those things when I was growing up and have later stated they wished they had stuck with it. I see a few dads living through their kids because of it.

Iowa is the only state that has summer baseball.

I always found it amazing how few kids were still playing by the time they were seniors.

In all seriousness though, the IHSAA needs to shorten the baseball and softball seasons. Softball especially needs to cap the number of games you can play, some teams play in tournaments every weekend.

• Disagree

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I always found it amazing how few kids were still playing by the time they were seniors.

In all seriousness though, the IHSAA needs to shorten the baseball and softball seasons. Softball especially needs to cap the number of games you can play, some teams play in tournaments every weekend.

I would agree the season could be shortened. In some cases there is not a lot of time between the end of baseball and the start of football camp.

• Disagree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron