Level the playing field in HS athletics

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mb7299, Jun 23, 2019.

1. IASTATE07

IASTATE07 Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

May 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +9,827 / 355 / -2
    Battle for the Belt > Rings

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. CyBronco2121

CyBronco2121 New Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Male
    Cumming
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It starts with parents. If you find one or two dads that step up and coach in youth sports - you'll do fine. You don't have to join a club to find success.

3. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,378 / 21 / -0
    Iowa Code allows for the sharing of programs if one school doesn't offer a particular interscholastic activity. However, the governing body (IHSAA or IGHSAU) has the ability to deny such an arrangement if it feels that the arrangement would substantially prejudice the activities of other schools. Substantial prejudice "includes but is not limited to situations where shared interscholastic activities may result in an unfair domination of an interscholastic activity or substantial disruption of activity classifications and management."

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. dafarmer

dafarmer Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Male
    Duh- farming
    SW Iowa
    Ratings:
    +983 / 35 / -1
    I remember when Baseball was a fall sport. Part of the reason some schools close to the metro areas are better is the presence of year round club sports. In western Iowa, most teams go to the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro for games and coaching.

5. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,378 / 21 / -0
    There were three different baseball seasons - spring, summer, and fall. Spring ball ended in 1972, and fall ball ended in 1985. In 1968, Norway won the spring and fall state tournaments, and finished 2nd in the summer tournament.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +15,302 / 222 / -2
    Or moms....

Having good female role models in their sport can help girls performance and help them to see themselves as athletes. Also one of the best coaches my son had was a woman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mkadl

mkadl Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Male
    Cornfield
    Ratings:
    +143 / 3 / -0

8. SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,286 / 103 / -9
    Correct, for years, schools that did not field a football team played fall baseball. Moulton Uduel played it for years. Basically they had two sports, baseball and basketball. Never had a football team nor a track team. After the stopped having fall baseball, they have shared football with Moravia, Centerville and currently with Seymour.

My wife played fall softball all the way through high school. Volleyball did not start as a sport until the early 80's, I believe.

9. bostrem00

bostrem00 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    ISU Post-grad Warrior
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +326 / 56 / -3
    Transfer portal. Set 20-25 mile radius on transfer limits. No semester sit out rule.

10. CycloneDaddy

CycloneDaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 57 / -19
    I dont know what the answer is but it must suck for varsity coaches that have invested years into developing kids to have them transfer their Jr/Sr years. On the flip side though you cant blame the kids for trying to improve their situation. Maybe private schools have to play a class up but that doesnt help the Norths or Hoovers in football. Go to 5 classes maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cyder91

Cyder91 Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +238 / 9 / -0
    #171 Cyder91, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    I see many disagree with this statement. I think what he is saying is that if a school has a need to make changes to, add to, improve or renovate facilities the public school board has access to PPEL to secure funding and also has the opportunity to use local public tax dollars to fund the project by putting it up for bond vote. Private schools (and not all are as wealthy as the Dowlings and Xaviers of the world) do not have any access to these funding streams. I know it is their choice to be students/parents of a private school. They have to live with the consequences also if they can't compete with the other schools athletically, academically or financially. To say that all private schools should be set aside from a conference is a blanket statement; just as saying those that consistently win should be set outside a conference, whether or not they are public or private. Success is success whether it is public or private. There are communities where the public is much more successful than the private.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. cyfanatic13

cyfanatic13 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,366 / 80 / -4
    DMC has made it to state basketball 2 of the last 9 years...

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. cyfanatic13

cyfanatic13 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,366 / 80 / -4
    Totally understand it's not for everybody but reading things like Valley having 75 kids trying out for the freshman baseball team makes me extremely glad I grew up at a 1A/2A school and got to play 4 sports and also got/had to participate in every music thing (thanks mom)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Cyfan1965

Cyfan1965 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Male
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +728 / 15 / -1
    Just bothers me a small town can have a once in a generation class and the Xavier's Assumption's and Wahlert's recruit you out of the game. 6 of 8 finalists in volleyball were private schools-

15. mramseyISU

mramseyISU Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Male
    Actually Helping Farmers
    Waterloo, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,209 / 35 / -1
    On the flip side to that Waterloo East and West are constantly pulling up 8th graders to play on the freshman team. I think West has been playing 3 or 4 8th graders on the Freshman team this year and East's best pitcher on Varsity is an 8th grader. The freshman class going in to West the fall of 2020 only has 5 kids that play baseball competitively. One of the Varsity assistants is a friend of mine and he said it wouldn't surprise him if they just pulled up the whole 8th grade team so they had a full team to play freshman baseball that year.

16. BillyClone

BillyClone Active Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Male
    Data Scientist
    Ankeny IA
    Ratings:
    +482 / 11 / -2
    There are 5 classes in girls volleyball in Iowa so there were 10 finalists. Of those 10, 6 were private schools. Your point remains.

17. hoopitup

hoopitup Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Teacher
    West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +170 / 21 / -0
    But that’s part of the issue. One of the big problems with the metro schools is you have coaches who are not invested for whatever reason. It takes solid leadership and an investment in the program by them and the district. It’s also all about relationships. There are a lot of coaches in DM that build relationships. There are also a lot that do not. Finding that right mix is the big challenge. This, in and of itself, won’t stop kids from transferring to Dowling, but it will help. And there are also kids transferring from the burbs to Dowling, so it’s not just a DM problem.

18. SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,286 / 103 / -9
    Can you please list the communities where the public school has been more successful than the private one? Because the only one I can think of would possible be Pella with Pella Christian. Dowling is the dominate sports program in DM, Holy Trinity is better than any program in Ft. Madison or Keokuk, IC Regina more successful than IC high or West. Dav. Assumption better than any Davenport schools. So where are they schools at?

19. GT25Ump

GT25Ump Active Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Male
    Publication Editor
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +230 / 27 / -0

As an umpire in NW Iowa, I work games in SE South Dakota & NE Nebraska (where their ball season runs from mid-March to early May), along with the summer schedule here in Iowa. To no surprise, with the "Spring" season they're lucky to get half their scheduled games in. What I hear people suggest is that they wish Iowa would start about three weeks earlier (about May 1st) and wrap up the State Tournament around July 4th, instead of extending all the way to the beginning of August. I get that...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. mdk2isu

mdk2isu Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Not of this World
    Ratings:
    +2,841 / 105 / -1
    FDSH > St Edmonds in most things
    CF > Waterloo Columbus in most things
    Lewis Central > St Albert in most things