UConn back to Big East

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I like how they are basically telling their football program you don’t matter to us.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Hmm...I wonder if this could be the beginning of the end for the AAC.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I wouldn’t mind taking Houston and another G5 school if the AAC does collapse

giphy.gif

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When the Big East exploded I thought they needed 70% of Catholic teams to still keep the name and run the show.
So now they have Butler and UConn. I don’t see them poaching the A10 like St Joes or StL but 11 is an odd number of teams unless they want 20 game conference schedule like B1G.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
UConn's athletic department has been hemorrhaging money, and their football program is one of the worst in the nation.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/18/18187320/uconn-football-aac-fcs

And UConn leaving the AAC doesn't really hurt the American at all. It gives them the opportunity to try and bring in better programs. I've seen speculation that they could target the likes of UAB, App St, or Buffalo, expand west with Boise, or bring in Army for football and VCU for basketball.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Good and Bad for the AAC. UConn has prestige, especially in Women's and Men's Basketball. That is usually a big game for all of the other schools. At least, it was for Cincinnati. The Huskies will be missed - especially if they leave in football too. My guess is that might stay for football, as the AAC has Wichita State as a non-football playing basketball member already.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Good and Bad for the AAC. UConn has prestige, especially in Women's and Men's Basketball. That is usually a big game for all of the other schools. At least, it was for Cincinnati. The Huskies will be missed - especially if they leave in football too. My guess is that might stay for football, as the AAC has Wichita State as a non-football playing basketball member already.

That might be the smart play for all, but would egos and hard feelings get in the way? From the AAC's point of view, about the only value UConn brought to the conference was its basketball programs. Now that UConn took its talents to another conference, them trying to continue to cash in on whatever coin the AAC gets through football probably won't sit well with the other members.